Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm facing a big dilemma...

My previous car was a 2003 Nissan 350-Z (track version) and I remember the suspension felt much stiffer/sportier. It is now my perception that the 350-Z sticks more to the pavement than the Maserati and that is considering that I drive my Maserati in sport mode 100% of the time.

It is a fact that on a lowered car the center of gravity is also lowered thus contributing for better stability, it is also a fact that lowering our cars by messing up with the screws we loose tension on the coil overs thus softening the ride but... does having a lower center of gravity compensates enough to still make the car feel sporty?

I was ready to lower mine but now I'm still giving it second thoughts because I would hate to soften my ride... a ride that I already feel way too soft even in sport mode which is how I drive 100% of the time.

So the question here is: do you know of any other way to lower a 2004 Coupe without messing up with the screws? Not because I don’t want to mess with them but because I don’t want to soften my ride… in fact I would even love to stiffen my ride so a better question to ask would be: is there a way to stiffen the ride for a 2004 Coupe after it has been softened by lowering it?

The 350-Z had two stabilizer bars, one at the front and the other at the rear and my mechanic had told me that we could adjust them to make the car ride stiffer or softer but I never messed with them because the car felt just right... I know we do have stabilizer bars in our Maseratis… can they be tuned to stiffen the ride after lowering it by tuning the coil overs? Has anybody done it?

I would really hate to lose stability if I lower my car… and my problem is that I DO WANT TO LOWER IT.

Your help and contributions will be greatly appreciated… I have a feeling that not just by me but also by many on this site.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am currently searching for some new springs for my car. In the process of ordering it. But it will probably take some time because i am not sure if they have stock or i would have to wait for the next production date. The problem is that they dont really produce that many of our springs cos they dont sell fast.

Anyway, will update you guys when i get it fixed.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are you looking for an aftermarket solution? If so I could look into getting something setup give me a call 405-410-8149.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kevin.

Do you think an after market solution would affect my warranty?
It just started running back in May of this year and I would hate to loose it... I don't really know what lies ahead of me in the next two and a half years :roll:

·
Registered
681 Posts
PacoSaca said:
Kevin.

Do you think an after market solution would affect my warranty?
It just started running back in May of this year and I would hate to loose it... I don't really know what lies ahead of me in the next two and a half years :roll:
You'd have to consult your dealer regarding that and I'm not 100% sure.

Here is a law that many don't know. Maserati can't void your warranty on something if it's not related. If you put aftermarket suspension on your car they can't void your warranty when you go in because you're having problems with your ignition system. I know this because I had an aftermarket intake on my Honda S2000 and they tried to give me crap about the warranty but a few people on the S2000 forums provided me with some legal information that meant they had to solve the problem (limited slip differential) because it had absolutely nothing to do with the intake. I don't know the extent of this law but it's something worth doing research into.

Again anyone can answer this question but your best bet is to call Maserati or an authorized dealer to get a 100% accurate answer.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
242 Posts
Kevins right. They can't 'void' your warranty for an unrelated issue. I've done a few mods to my car and they've told me that it will not afffect the other components of the car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I also have a working theory of why my car feels so much stiffer after the suspension was lowered further.
A one inch height reduction will take tension off the springs, but a 2 inch or more reduction may place the springs back into compression again. Not sure if it is true or not but the car feels more taught and stable than ever.

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lowering

I had my Spyder lowered 1" up front and 7/8" in the rear by the dealership. In my opinion, the ride is noticably firmer and handling is definitely tighter.

Ferrari/Maserati of Seattle hosted a racing school last week through Proformance Racing School at Pacific Raceway in Kent, WA. The dealership had a stock coupe that not only was leaning significantly more in the corners than my lowered Spyder, but the front right tire was absolutely destroyed whereas my tires only had modest damage. The dealership attributed the difference to the lowering.

Hope this helps.

David Huey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Nocant
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing