Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a fun car to replace my BMW 545 as a daily driver since I moved to Texas five months ago. I started looking at older Ferraris but got more than a little scared by maintenance ($25k to rebuild a 456 auto transmission), but I was really fascinated by the depreciation curve. Well cared for Ferraris depreciate to approximately 40% of retail and then start to appreciate or at least hold flat. Compare that to Porsches and BMWs. They depreciate like mad out of the gate and never stop. Ten year old cars can be had for 10 to 20% of MSRP.

Then I "discovered" Maseratis, with 90% of the cachet and performance of a ferrari and less than 50% of the maintenance expense. A real bargain at todays prices. The magic question is will Maserati Coupes and Spyders ever hit a valuation floor? In five years will we find '02 Coupes for $15k?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I doubt it, I think they are rare enough to have a floor. If their new products continue to be received well the first generation of coupes and spyders will probably hold their value. The US market for these doesn't have a lot of information in it while maintence costs and longevity are well known for everything from Ferraris to the BMW 3 series. Once the cars are better understood, I suppose they'll look a bit more like a high end Porsche 911 in depreciation terms.

·
Registered
824 Posts
So what do you see as the floor for 02-03, mid thirties?
mid-high 30's. I've seen several below 40k, be surprised if they go much further. But I'm no expert.

One thing I will say (in my own self interest) is that a car with a full dealer service history that has been fully debugged, even if the mileage is a little higher, is worth quite a bit more, especially if the last clutch and F1 pump change mileage is known as part of that history.

I also think the 05-06 due to revised bumpers will hold their value a little longer. They seem to just "pop" more when you look at them.

What would be really fun is if the young-uns start buying 02's as drift cars.

·
Registered
513 Posts
there are 02-03 in the low 30s now

much to my chagrin, there have been several on Craigslist in SanFrancisco which are asking 32k, 33.5, and have not sold. It is coming to a point where it makes no sense to sell mine.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I see a ton of 2002 Spyders on the market now but I'm looking for an '03 or '04 to get the glass rear window and all the other tweaks. There is an '02 Spyder in Florida with 3,700 miles (yep 3,700) and the asking was $39k. I have seen very few '03s and a handful of '04s and '05s.

There are also a ton of '06 GS Spyders on the market that don't seem to sell offered at $80k to $100k - very unrealistic price expectations in my opinion. I have seen a few sold in the mid to low 60s. Oh and there is that dealer in California sitting on three brand new spyders.

For now I'll just sit and wait for the right car to come along. As Glenn said above - miles aren't as big a concern as is maintenance history.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Being from Florida I can vouch how warped the luxury item market is here. With the real estate and mortgage implosion, every person who was connected to that market is just trying to unload anything of value. The luxury/overhead items are going first. People are just selling them at fire sale prices. I talked to the used car manager at the Caddy dealership. Two to three times a week people are just dropping off the keys to Escalades, they are actually running out of space on the lot!

These cars offer way too much value and appeal to fall in price indefinitely. Most people think mine is still a 100K+ car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think right now the resale market for luxury cars in general is falling fast. Everything is cyclical - once the economy revives, the market will go up again. Speaking as someone who would like to acquire more cars - particularly older collectible ones - I'm kind of happy to see the overheated market come down (boy I wish I'd bought that Dino a few years back), although I'm also glad I'm not trying to sell my Maserati right now. I am hoping (apologies to those who just bought new GTs) that the GTs will depreciate the same way - I'd love to buy a lightly used GT in a few years!

My guess is the floor is the low 30s - unlike the old crappy biturbos and (shudder) the TC (again, apologies to those who love them) - the 02 and later cars are solid, beautiful cars that aren't really that common to begin with, and as they become more rare (due to neglect or accidents), I think the value will stabilize and might even increase.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It seems the floor is 30k for the moment. Its hard to see these cars fetch below 30k.

Figure an early C5 vette is about 20k, and your getting a whole lot more exotica with a Maser.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
It seems the floor is 30k for the moment. Its hard to see these cars fetch below 30k.
I hope they won't drop to $30 - 6-8 months ago when I started to look there were two '02's for $35 - I don't know what they finally went for but both had about 30k miles, one had an accident report and both were in poor condition.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The floor will depend on the particular car...

Even though we are in bad economy and the used maserati market is very very soft.... Super clean used Maseratis will always command a premium.

I have been watching the market and can not get over what people advertise as "excellent condition". Its simply not the case. Many of these used maseratis are slightly better than good condition. Then you have to hope the car was well maintained and you don't get hit right away with a clutch or a pump failure.

04-06 coupes should hold their value a little be better than the 02 - 03 coupes due to the mechanical upgrades with the clutch and pump and software etc. As well as the GS should be a little higher than the coupes...

However, when shopping for a used Maserati coupe, you really have to look and work hard to find one in excellent condition. I believe after looking at several cars that are just ok or nice, when you finally find one in the color you love that is in excellent condition, you may pay up a little more.

I know my 04 white CC is not worth much in dollars to sell on the open market. However, it doesn't have a swirl mark, never seen the rain, just had the clutch serviced at the dealer and is running amazing. The WOW factor of my 04 Maserati does not seem to go away.

I have no plans on selling her anytime soon. If I love the GTS and can find one used, perhaps someday. But in the mean time, there is still nothing out there for the money that compares with a Maserati coupe.

At the 30 - 40K price point, just buy one you love and enjoy it.... These cars will always be rare and turn heads.... CM

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hope they won't drop to $30 - 6-8 months ago when I started to look there were two '02's for $35 - I don't know what they finally went for but both had about 30k miles, one had an accident report and both were in poor condition.
Exactly, most sub 40k cars either have high mileage or are in bad shape, i had seen an 04 CC Spider in Miami advertised for 49k and it was in horrible, shape, its still for sale.

my guess:

30-40k= high mileage, CC, abused
40-50k= newer, 6sp, low mileage, well kept

·
Registered
14 Posts
Collectability?

I tend to hold on to my vehicles for a long time and it's nice to see one of them appreciate in value finally. Being a gearhead for some 50 years now I often wonder what factors come into play to make a certain model "collectable":

• Rarity...not many were produced originally or not many nice examples remain
  • They were expensive to begin with
  • Possessed milestone features, e.g. mid '50s Mercedes 300SL Gullwing (i.e. tubular frame, first production FI system, Gullwing doors design)
  • Sports or performance model or has a racing pedigree
  • Classical design/beautiful aesthetics
  • Certain car was owned by celeb/notable person

I'm sure you can add more factors to the list. Anyone venture to speculate as to which of the modern Maser models might be the most collectable in the long run? [With hindsight it would have been good if I had had the means to purchase that new 427ci Shelby Cobra that was sitting on the showroom floor of the local Ford dealer in 1967.:rolleyes: ]

·
Registered
793 Posts
--- I started looking at older Ferraris but got more than a little scared by maintenance ($25k to rebuild a 456 auto transmission)
The repair of a 456 tranny is actually very,very rare. It's a GM transmission with abundant parts. It's the labor to get it all out cause it's in the rear.

So don't be scared away from a 456 due to that.

There are other issues far more critical in the first few years of it's intro such as misaligned windows.

Other than that it's a beauty of a car. Remember, though, that it has 12 cylinders. Takes a good bit of gas to feed it.

---Then I "discovered" Maseratis, with 90% of the cachet and performance of a ferrari and less than 50% of the maintenance expense.
It's not 90% of the Ferrari's cachet but it does have the strong influence.

Wrong to think that the maintenance is 50% of a Ferrari's!

Are you aware of clutch and the related parts issues with Maserati's?

Be careful with your choices and become very knowledgeable about any car before you buy it.

That will prevent tons of surprises after the fact.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i just made a thread about this issue, there is however one last question that remains unsolved: why do people buy a car for 130k and end up selling it 2 years later for 40k?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.