Maserati Forum banner

Is the extended warrenty worth it?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ScottishLadd 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of buying a 2004 Coupe CC w/ 7,400 miles. It's a car that Maserati owned (it was the President of Ferrari North America's company car) and has been driven very little in the past couple of years. It's never been tracked and has been reliable thus far according to the dealer. The warrenty expires in March of 08. The extended warrenty would take it until March of 09. The cost of the warrenty is $3,000. Is the peace of mind worth the cost or, given the low mileage and good history, is it $3,000 down the tubes?

If this has been previously discussed, I apologize -- I'm new. I'd appreciate your feedback!

p.s. I have been reading this forum as I prepared to make my first Maserati purchase and have found this community incredibly impressive and informative. It's given me a great deal of insight into exactly what I'm getting into, which is -- of course -- something unbelievably awesome.

-----------------
2004 Maserati Coupe CC (as of Friday)
2000 BMW 528i

#2 ·
It really depends on how risk averse your personality is. You've gotta figure the car had top notch maintenance. It pretty much boils down to the F1 pump, in my mind. Even at that, with 7400 miles, it's likely to last another year. I say it's a coin toss. For me, $3k seems too much to prepay for a year's repairs on this one (excluding normal wear items). You better flip your own coin, though. YMMV

#3 ·
thanks Freddie. maybe I ought to scrap that idea. thanks. supposedly the F1 pump on the 04 is more reliable due to programming changes and a larger relay (or at least that's what I read on a post here). So, I'll roll the dice. $3,000 is excessive.

- T

#5 ·
The warranty is only worth it, if you need it.
I would think that just a few months would not be enough time to get a feel for the car, and any possible issues.

If there is something significant that goes bad, the $3000 will be a drop in the bucket.

#9 ·
I know that some of the stuff I had done to my car under warranty were ASTRONOMICALLY priced. Replacing the "loose reverse lever" was about 1.2k in itself. I dont want to know what the other stuff was...
Yikes! I had my loose reverse lever (actually, the entire panel) repaired under warranty too. Never saw the prices.

#7 ·
thanks all. turns out I can wait up and until the factory warranty expires next year to decide to put the extended warranty on. so, I think I will wait until this spring and then decide what to do. thanks for all your help. really impressive community.

#8 ·
Extended warranties are a waste of $.

Here's how they work generally- about 50% of what you pay goes directly to the facility that sells it with a portion of that going to the salesperson who sold it. Why do you think dealers like selling extended warranties.

Now, with 50% (or less) remaining to go to the warranty company, how much is really left to cover you?

Do you think that about $1,500 going to the warranty company is going to pay for much?

This is like buying earthqauke insurance in California.

It's ridiculous.

If you can't afford the maintenance don't buy the car and above all don't harbor the false expectation that you are "covered" by an extended warranty.

As a point of interest, Circuit City sold $440 million of extended warranties in 2004. That was more profit than the whole sales operation netted.

Any questions?

#10 ·
Maserati Warranty/VSC Legal Issue

Hello, I have been in the VSC (Vehicle Service Contract) industry for over 10 years. Maserati may find themselves in some legal trouble with this warranty. If the product is called a warranty then you cannot charge the consumer for it, the law states that a warranty is "part of the basis of the bargain" and cannot be removed from the item. If your dealer markets or otherwise tells you the car has a warranty then it must come with that warranty at no additional cost to the consumer. The cost can be included in the purchase price of a certified Maserati but you legally cannot separately itemize the cost, if you actually charge the customer a specific fee for the product then you are now selling VSC's, a totally different product with a whole new set of rules and regulations. I have looked at the Maserati website and it seems very clear to me that they are offering a vehicle certification program/Warranty and not a VSC, this means that your dealer cannot charge you for this product or they are breaking the law.
Having said all that, I personally just passed on buying the Warranty/VSC from my local dealer as my cars warranty just expired last week. I was very tempted and the only reason I passed was that I have access to wholesale pricing on parts and lots of service technicians that are friends. If I was not in the auto industry and was not very handy I would absolutely buy this Warranty/VSC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.