Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found an '03 that's making me drool but it's in NC and I'm in California. I can only bring in cars that are 7500 miles or more (this isn't) or that meet California emissions requirements...

·
Registered
835 Posts
I believe it is not as simple as just on mileage but something having to do with owning the vehicle for a year. I might be wrong... This may help...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/nonresident.htm

There is a 5% usage tax charged here in CA for out-of-state vehicles, if you are trying to avoid sales tax the max you will save is 3.25% or 2.75%

Have you tried Ferrari of San Diego or OC?

·
Registered
513 Posts
It is my understanding the all modern vehicles are all 50 state and Canadian smog legal.

By buying out of state, you will not however save on sales tax. You will pay the same tax upon registering the car as if purchased locally. They changed the rules within the past year, it used to be, you could purchase an Non California vehicle, not bring it into CAL for whatever reason, and then after 90 days, bring it into CAL and you would be sales tax exempt.
The DMV has gotten smart and modernised with the internet times, and now eliminated waiver of use/sales tax.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went ahead and bought it...it should be here in a couple of weeks. I checked every Ferrari / Maserati dealer in California, Nevada and Arizona. It wasn't easy finding a manual that wasn't some awful color or didn't have something really wrong with it. If it doesn't work I may be able to register it in Arizona as a nonresident, we'll see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
squid
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing