Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, a few of us have installed the IceLink. Do a search on this forum for the good and bad news, and how-tos.
MikeA

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MikeA.

I had read some of your and other posts and was hoping for something definitive.

It seems like the iPod thing is a lot of hassle.

Maybe I'll just pay the dealer for a cd changer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The iPod thing is a hassle, but in the end worth it, IMHO. I ended up with buying a new iPod Nano for my portable use, and just leaving my older
iPod in my car 'forever'. Apple must love this!
Anyway, the comments from me and the other early users apply to the
original Magneti-Mareli headunit with it's 'compatibility' with the specific
Blaupunkt 5 disc CD changer. With the later Becker (and other?) head
units, our experience isn't useful.
Good luck with whatever direction you choose. I can't think of anything to
add to the older posts.
Mike

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer is suggesting an FM modulator by Myron and Davis that they have installed with some satisfaction amongst their customers. Here is a link to a retailer offering the product:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/myrondavisfmmod.html

I wonder whether this device offers more output than the transmitters typically offered at the Apple store.

It isn't a charging/integrated solution, but are the controls on the radio really any better than just using the iPod?

This also leaves open the option of having the CD changer as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As it turns out, I did not have an iPod yet.

So they were out at the store and I bought a Zune instead, with the car pack which includes the FM transmitter. So that transmitter actually broadcasts down to 87.5 FM. The car radio actually tunes that frequency, which is interesting because my other cars don't go that low. So I took a test drive today and found the reproduction was pretty good. A little static, so certainly not like a direct connection, but still OK. I have yet to take it right into downtown Chicago. Unfortunately the power adapter does not seat well in the car's lighter, but that is a separate unit.

I spoke with the guy at the original link about their FM modulator which is actually hard wired to the antenna socket and he stated that it would work as long as the DIN/ISO aerial connector on the Maserati radio was as pictured below:

http://www.dension.com/icelinkfm.php

That device also has an aux input so you could hook just about anything up to it.

Has anyone ever seen the aerial connector for a 2004 CC?

Plan B is a simpler workaround. Burn 80 minute CDs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Firmware Update?

The iPod thing is a hassle, but in the end worth it, IMHO. I ended up with buying a new iPod Nano for my portable use, and just leaving my older
iPod in my car 'forever'. Apple must love this!
Anyway, the comments from me and the other early users apply to the
original Magneti-Mareli headunit with it's 'compatibility' with the specific
Blaupunkt 5 disc CD changer. With the later Becker (and other?) head
units, our experience isn't useful.
Good luck with whatever direction you choose. I can't think of anything to
add to the older posts.
Mike
Mike - Did Dension ever do a firmware update that lets us access the IceLink menu on CD5 instead of 6? I installed an IceLink in my 03 Coupe over the holidays and it works like yours did in the old 2004 posts - quirky but better than an FM hookup. Best - Bill

·
Registered
824 Posts
Mike - Did Dension ever do a firmware update that lets us access the IceLink menu on CD5 instead of 6? I installed an IceLink in my 03 Coupe over the holidays and it works like yours did in the old 2004 posts - quirky but better than an FM hookup. Best - Bill
Yes they did a patch but it doesnt work properly on the Maserati because you need the FFWD and REWIND (<< and >>) buttons, which we don't have. If you hold the ->| and |<- buttons down it doesn't work either.

It isn't a big deal, I just set up a few favorite playlists. It works most of the time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My experience is the same as Glenn's. I just use the first five playlists.
Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes they did a patch but it doesnt work properly on the Maserati because you need the FFWD and REWIND (<< and >>) buttons, which we don't have. If you hold the ->| and |<- buttons down it doesn't work either.

It isn't a big deal, I just set up a few favorite playlists. It works most of the time.
Thanks Glenn & Mike. I'll leave it as is then. Best - Bill

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks Glenn & Mike. I'll leave it as is then. Best - Bill
Oh there was a patch prior to the disc 5 patch that did improve things somewhat. You probably want that. I can root around and see if I can find it if you don't already have it or can't find it on their site.

I was going to go back and redo that patch, without the other disc 5 patch but frankly couldn't be bothered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed the Icelink and found it to be straight forward and a much better solution than a FM modulator. There are issues in that you can not see or control the playlists and it does get confused/locked up sometimes upon start up. However the fidelity is great compare to the fm modulator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts