Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So being without an iPod interface in my car is driving me crazy. I don't think I can deal with an FM transmitter unless someone knows of a really phenominal one, although the sound quality I still don't think can compare. I've read about the integration hack to the factory player but am not sure if this is possible on a '02 Spyder with NAV? I don't have a CD changer either so I don't think it'll work.

I really like that Harmon Kardon system with the control knob and mounted display screen. I have long legs so my seat sits back all the way. It's a bit annoying reaching towards the screen everytime I want to change a song. With the Harmon Kardon system I can just put the knob in place of my ashtray and control the songs similar to BMW or Benz navigation wheel. I think the display unit will fit in the left corner of my dash nicely and I can probably hide my iPod in glove or center.

Has anyone had any experience with this unit? I can get it installed at Circuit City for $300 which isn't bad. What are my other options for iPod integration and what are their respective costs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a kit from a guy on ebay that was supposed to replace the CD changer with the IPod. So you could cycle through the sources on the head unit and instead of the changer it would be the ipod playing.

it was a pain to install and didn't work. $100 down the drain. I believe his name was eugene and it was a blaupaunt (sp?) kit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea I cant believe it....so I go to Circuit City today to check out the Harmon Kardon system they had advertised in last weeks paper ad. Keep in mind I rarely purchase ANYTHING from a store. If it can be purchased online I do- and usually save considerably. I figured since theyre price was $300 including installation I'd save myself the headache of installing it.
So anyways, I go to Circuit City and they tell me that they stopped carrying it! Even though it was featured in their flyer last week- crazy I tell you.
Welp, theres my annual shot at trying to purchasing something from a store. Looks like Im back to the 'bay and will have to find a better alternative...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought a kit from a guy on ebay that was supposed to replace the CD changer with the IPod. So you could cycle through the sources on the head unit and instead of the changer it would be the ipod playing.

it was a pain to install and didn't work. $100 down the drain. I believe his name was eugene and it was a blaupaunt (sp?) kit.
I installed the same piece from Eugene. Only took about 1 hour to put in and works perfectly. A little bit of background hiss if nothing is playing but otherwise wonderful. I even had him modify the cable so that I can use a single hook up and switch between IPOD and Satellite radio.

Did you have CDs loaded in the changer? For it to work you must have a CD in the changer and you must hit the play button so the system thinks you are playing a CD. When you do this it opens the pathway for the signal and the interface routes the auxilary signal in place of the CD changer. I leave an old CD in there all the time and just hit 'repeat' so I never have to touch anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had good luck with Eugene's cable too. A little tricky to access the back of radio (tight fit), but pretty straight forward. I burned a CD of 'silence'. That way you can have both CD player and IPOD hooked simultaneously without a switch.

-Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ice Link

Does anyone know where you can purchase the Ice Link system for our cars? I like the fact the Ice Link setup utilizes the OEM display to show the Ipod info etc., I also understand this sytem is not perfect and has a few glitches, unfortunately Eugene's cable is not an option for me since I don't have the CD changer option. The sound quality from the FM transmitter system setup I'm currently using is horrible and will likely end up exiting my drivers side window ending up as 'poor sound quality kill' on the side of the road. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ICE Link works well - a little quirky because you need to use special firmware for a 5 disk changer. ICE Link assumes 6 otherwise and gets confused. I use it on a system with Nav. It replaces the external CD player. Lots of other posts on this forum on this subject.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i was wondering if there is any kit out there that will do the simple thing of just playing the iPod's music out the sound system via the iPod's headphone jack?

·
Registered
71 Posts
iPod kit success

MONSTERATI,
Please send the item back and I'll be happy to give you a full refund, including shipping. You just have to pay return shipping, which from Florida, should be less than $5.

If I remember correctly, I tried to do switches for MONSTERATI's mod, but they were too bulky. He removed them (which is what I would have done too), but now I can't vouch for how the modification is wired.

I've been very open with new customers who have expressed an interest in having switches (to use iPod & XM, or keep CD Changer & iPod, etc.) that it is bulky (about the size of a pack of cigarettes). I'm in the process of buying some Blaupunkt CD Changer extension wire harnesses that should allow more flexibility with where you put the switches and/or audio devices.

I installed the same piece from Eugene. Only took about 1 hour to put in and works perfectly. A little bit of background hiss if nothing is playing but otherwise wonderful. I even had him modify the cable so that I can use a single hook up and switch between IPOD and Satellite radio.
I had good luck with Eugene's cable too. A little tricky to access the back of radio (tight fit), but pretty straight forward. I burned a CD of 'silence'. That way you can have both CD player and IPOD hooked simultaneously without a switch.
Glad to head everything works well. Thanks for your business and the postive postings.
If anyone else is interested, you can do a search on ebay for "Blaupunkt Maserati," or e-mail me at [email protected].
Sincerely, DeloreanPilot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.