Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Coupe with 25K miles. Daily driver. Most fun I have ever had in a car. Only problem: radio really sucks (have done expensive NIC module update from Maserati - they paid for it and it only helped a little) and I am tired of changing CD's all the time in the changer. I refuse to drill an antennae into that beautiful bodywork.

Solution: ipod and XM radio

My ipod plan: intercept sound input wires from CD changer and put switch there (possibly with relays). Switch one way, sound from CD changer. Switch other way, sound from ipod. Wire from center console and let ipod be in a mounted holder or just sit on center console in change tray. I have seen this done in other cars and it seems to work. Anybody have any comments?

My xm plan: Use wired fm modulator to play xm radio through Maerati radio. Mount xm radio somewhere on center console. Any comments anyone?

Anybody have an interior photo of a car set up with either of these you would like to email me or post?

Thanks for any advice. I have found a guy here in Los Angeles who has done both of these in Maseratis and he claims it works beautifully. He came recommended by my dealer.

If no one has any advie, I will let you all know how it works out when I have it done (January or so).

Michael Varat

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sirius and ipod installed

On my 2003 Coupe:
I took the easy way out for adding to the stock radio. I had bigger plans but...

I installed all Kenwood equipment, their R71 FM modulator controls their Sirius tuner for Satellite radio. The Sirius unit allows a piggybacked CD changer which could also be their Music Keg (Phatnoise built mp3 player) or an ipod through their ip500 Ipod controller. All can be controlled through the R71 FM head.

All components under right rear seat. Sat antennae next to Nav antenna on top of dash at base of windshield (didn't want the antenna outside the car). Ignition switch power pulled from the cig lighter and permanent 12 volt power pulled frorm the right front seat harness.

Wired FM modulator sounds as good as stock CD changer. I think my next step wil be to add an amp and new speakers. ANyways, it only took a Saturday to complete and works pretty well.

By the way, there is no place in this car to install the head so I left it in the center console and pull it out to use and then just stow it back when not needed. I put the Ipod in the glove box since when it is plugged in, you can only control it through the head.

The only damage to car is a single drilled hole in the bottom of the center console tray.

The only real pain is the right front seat and rear seat had to be removed to run all the wires under the carpeting.

For us non-audiophiles who just want decent radio and their ipod to listen to, it is not a bad solution.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't understand the first thing about car audio and have been scouring the net for and ipod solution for the Maser. and this is the closest thing I could find. Too bad it is in UK though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts