Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read most on the posts on this subject and there seems to be some various info on this topic. My goal is to replace my CDC with an iPod using the connector in the trunk. It sounded like there was mixed feelings in ICE-Link.

Blaupunkt makes an adapter
http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/7607540500_main.asp
I compared the pin-out descriptions with the adapter and the A09 CDC and the descriptions are the same. I have plugged it in and the iPod seems to recognize the adapter, the charging is working and the iPod displays the 1st song on the #1 Playlist but is on pause. The Nav Unit stops at "CDC-Check". I'm assuming this is prior to "CDC-Init" but it get's no further.

Are there any suggestions? Is there any hope? Am I close or should I change course?

It seems as though it is close, but sometimes slight incompatabilities are hard to troubleshoot and overcome.

Thanks
radgts3bk - 05 Triple Black Spyder GT

·
Registered
71 Posts
Blaupunkt iPod Modification

I may have a modification that will solve your problem. Please let me know if you are interested.

I sell the adapter you have on ebay, and I am constantly getting questions about whether this will work with different Blaupunkt OEM receivers.

It will cost, but I can keep it very resonable considering you may be my first test case in the Mazerati.

Sincerely, Eugene
DeloreanPilot
[email protected]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm OK with removing the CDC ...

I may have a modification that will solve your problem. Please let me know if you are interested.

I sell the adapter you have on ebay, and I am constantly getting questions about whether this will work with different Blaupunkt OEM receivers.

It will cost, but I can keep it very resonable considering you may be my first test case in the Mazerati.

Sincerely, Eugene
DeloreanPilot
[email protected]
and replacing it with a small iPod in the trunk. The interface through the stock unit would think it is a CDC and most primary functions should work.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have been researching on this too. The Becker unit has an ipod adaptor as well but apparently it has been out of stock for some time. The same becker unit found on GS is also used on several ferrari models.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4491.html
http://www.cardomain.com/item/DNSI20BECKER

Apparently, it also require head unit software update for this to work, and it seems it's an older product that worked with 3rd and 4th gen ipods... I believe it plugs to the cd changer port and replaces the cd changer.

i don't have much information from here on either...

Jess

·
Registered
71 Posts
mod ready

I've finished my Blaupunt iPod modification for Maserati.

It is made of Blaupunkt parts. It comes in two different versions.
1. Will charge the iPod directly from the receiver. Also has an iPod Video output cable.
2. Will only charge the iPod if you hook the red and black wires to the car's positive and negative.

I will send you both version, in case one works and the other doesn't.

The cost is $100, plus shipping. Shipping is $5 North America and $10 everywhere else. If it doesn't work, I'll give you a full refund. All you have to do is ship the stuff back to me.

What you need:
1. A working CD changer that hooks up to the receiver with the Blaupunkt BLUE connector.
2. A CD that you can put indefinitely into the changer.
3. Answer a question. Does the wire bundle between your CD Changer and Receiver have any individual wires (i.e positive and ground) peeling off out of the wire bundle? This may affect the iPod charging.

E-mail me if interested.

Sincerely, DeloreanPilot
[email protected]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can this be used without a CD changer?
No. There are a bunch of posts about this subject, and the consensus is that the different Blaupunkt iPod adapters/interface don't work.

My mod basically tricks the system into thinking that the CD changer is playing, but actually plays the iPod, and charges the iPod.

Sincerely, DeloreanPilot

·
Registered
603 Posts
iPod Mod and QP

My mod basically tricks the system into thinking that the CD changer is playing, but actually plays the iPod, and charges the iPod.

Sincerely, DeloreanPilot
I have the Mod purchased from DeoreanPilot. To install, one needs to remove radio. It was difficult to find information on removing radio from a QP, but I now believe I have enough such that I can attempt the process. It actually looks pretty simple. However, before trying, I wanted to ask some questions.

First, has anyone else tried this mod and did it work. I don't want to go through removing dash if it is already known that this won't work.

Second, for this to work, I understand I need a blank recorded CD. Stupid question, but how do I do that? I tried a blank recordable CD with nothing on it at all, and I got an error message on the radio display, so clearly I need something on it (a recording of silence?) Is there an easy way to do this using a CD burner and some free windows recording software?

Third, when looking to get info on removing radio, I went to a local car audio store who suggested I may not want to try this mod for a couple of reasons: a) many CD players / head units will stop playing if it thinks there is a blank CD in it (maybe that isn't an issue here as the head unit will be tricked into thinking there is a signal as there will be one from the iPod).

My bigger worry was his warning that b)an input from two devices simultaneously, the CD changer and the iPod, could overpower the head unit circuitry potentially damaging it. Is this a real concern?? I would have thought the CD input into the head unit is related to the output from the CD changer which if it is only recorded silence, would be very low, and the input from the iPod probably isn't that high, but I wanted to confirm. (Is the correct terminology the total amperage and / or wattage output from the two units must be less than the specs on the head unit?)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an ICE LINK (See previous posts) and it works ok in my '03 Spyder. You can access 5 playlists of as many songs as you want. Its a little flaky (what isn't in an Italian car) but works well enough.

Haven't tried the B adapter but it looks interesting enough that I'll try to track one down. Anyone else tried it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an iphone and installed delorean pilot's ipod modification. Although it was pretty easy and charged the iphone, it wouldn't play any music so he created a modification that both charges and plays music. The cords are long enough that I can still talk on the phone too. I have no problem with the volume.

One thing I did notice was the posts mentioning drilling holes for the wires in the rubber mat. The wires can run under the armrest tray avoiding the need for any drilling. I can remove the modification with no sign it was ever there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
fifteep,
Glad to hear everything is working well.

When apple made the iPhone and iTouch, it did not make them compatible with many pre-existing iPod accessories, such as the Blaupunkt iPod accessories.

This is a moot point for most Maserati owners since those Blaupunkt products don't work with the Maserati Blaupunkt OEM headunits anyway.

I've been able to create a few different wire harnesses that send the audio signals to the iPod connector (for normal iPods) or a standard headphone jack (for the iPhone/iTouch). If a customer also wants the iPhone/iTouch to charge, I add an iPod connector that does the charging.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. You can checkout the ebay item by doing a search in ebay for "Blaupunkt Maserati."

Sincerely,
DeloreanPilot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts