Maserati Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, interior parts are ridiculously priced ..and not just Maserati. I might look into having a shop paint that segment ( on both of the doors so it matches ) and even though the grain won’t show anymore maybe it’ll turn out ok. Possibly even paint it in a contrasting color matching the one of my dashboard so it could look like it’s a factory trim piece :unsure:. And considering that‘s dark blue maybe the elbow filth :rolleyes: won’t show so much ..

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
549 Posts
No doubt J, they're $$$, if you could even find them.
I would love to swap mine out for ones without the ugly airbag "cut outs".
Good luck to you Dan!

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This may have been posted, I did not read every post. On a GT, the seats and the arm rest are leather - the rest is fake.
It sure doesn’t look or feel like leather, but it’s also not very obvious what kind of material it is.
There are so many composites materials used in cars trims , one can’t figure out what the heck they are and what to use to clean and to condition them. 😒

·
Registered
961 Posts
It sure doesn’t look or feel like leather, but it’s also not very obvious what kind of material it is.
There are so many composites materials used in cars trims , one can’t figure out what the heck they are and what to use to clean and to condition them. 😒
A tech friend of mine told me exactly what it was years ago and for the life of me I just cannot recall. Sadly, my buddy (Matt Burns) passed away a few years ago so I can't ask him:cry:

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Sorry to hear man...
It will come to you eventually

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Yeah, I guess I’ll just have to bite the bullet and get a new panel.
Since you sound like you have nothing to lose at this point, here's a thought. See if you can find a really good nearby automotive upholstery shop. Ask them if they deal with a really good craftsperson for leather die. It has to be someone who is a professional with lots of experience restoring old automotive leathers and especially color matching. I had a sabbia seat redone recently this way and I was amazed at the quality and look of the result. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yup that’s next on my list ..I was going to ask my IM which auto upholstery shops they use to outsource interior repair and reconditioning needs for all the old classic collector cars they work on , and even the not so old ones .. but since they’re mostly Ferraris, and Lamborghinis , Maseratis , etc.. I’m sure they use a top notch shop , so I’ll check it out and see what they have to say .

·
Registered
23 Posts
No doubt the answer is somewhere in this forum’s many threads but search was not my friend this time, so I’ll start a new post :

Sabbia ( sand / beige ) interior .

The window sill, where my elbow rests 90% of the time while driving is now showing a “dirty“ somewhat darker than the rest of the sill spot . It’s not as if I don‘t wash my arms :rolleyes: but whatever it is ( natural skin oils, and / or shirts sleeves colors residue, etc. ) it’s visible enough to require cleaning . Question is what to use ? Would warm water with a mild detergent soap mix be enough , or do I need to look for some specialized car interiors cleaning products ?
Colourlock leather clean kit, sold on Amazon, stuff is serious

·
Registered
23 Posts
No doubt the answer is somewhere in this forum’s many threads but search was not my friend this time, so I’ll start a new post :

The window sill, where my elbow rests 90% of the time while driving is now showing a “dirty“ somewhat darker than the rest of the sill spot . It’s not as if I don‘t wash my arms :rolleyes: but whatever it is ( natural skin oils, and / or shirts sleeves colors residue, etc. ) it’s visible enough to require cleaning . Question is what to use ? Would warm water with a mild detergent soap mix be enough , or do I need to look for some specialized car interiors cleaning products ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Good to know for other leather cleaning and conditioning jobs, but that window sill segment is beyond cleaning now, in fact it’s so clean it shows where the grain has rubbed off ..which now stands out even more than when it was a little dirty ..and there’s also that even lighter spot.. so I think having it restore-painted may be the only option ( other than replacing it..which I won’t do ). Besides, since it’s faux leather no idea if real leather products will work. just fine on it ..or not :unsure: .

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Let's see a pic Dan!
Maybe cover it in Alcantara? (y)

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Good to know for other leather cleaning and conditioning jobs, but that window sill segment is beyond cleaning now, in fact it’s so clean it shows where the grain has rubbed off ..which now stands out even more than when it was a little dirty ..and there’s also that even lighter spot.. so I think having it restore-painted may be the only option ( other than replacing it..which I won’t do ). Besides, since it’s faux leather no idea if real leather products will work. just fine on it ..or not :unsure: .
A 2009 GT and a 2013 MC Stradale
MASERATI GRANTURISMO M145 FRONT LEFT DOOR SIDE AIRBAG BLACK LEATHER | eBay
Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale 2013 Door Airbag Air Bag LHS J081 | eBay

These dudes literally make/distribute the airbags, perhaps they can be of some assistance. (y)
AUTOLIV ITALIA S.P.A. - 27/c, Strada Torino - 10043 Orbassano (TO) - Italy (paginebianche.it)
Automotive tire Font Parallel Rectangle Bumper

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
By comparison, here are pictures of my 2003 MBZ window sill , on which my elbow rested for 206,000 miles ! Very similar color , material and grain , as the GT. So does this suggest Maserati uses poorer quality materials than Mercedes ? 56,000 on the GT
( and btw, my MBZ is by no stretch a top line one , it’s a a second or maybe third tier from the bottom C230 ) .
Back to the GT .. I just remembered that I have some sabbia touch up paint I bought many years ago for a small spot on the seat bolster that was worn and discolored . That one blended in very well, so I may try it here just to see how it works, since I really don’t have anything to lose at this point and will redo those anyway . I doubt I’ll be happy with the results because the grain won’t show no matter what, so it’s still going to stand out , but until I get it to a shop , it’ll have to do . I’m still leaning toward having those pieces painted to match the blue dashboard , it might make it look like a decent two tone “ accent feature “ of the car .
Grille Hood Rectangle Black Automotive design

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Rectangle Product

·
Premium Member
549 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
leatherworldtech .com has some products for restoring the grain pattern (basically you “copy” the grain from a good section and paste it onto the bald section that’s been covered in a thin layer of material). They also have the leather dye in factory ish matched colors. I have had good results but it did take some practice / technic. Before I ordered a panel I would give it a shot- If it turns out good you saved some $ -if unacceptable then buy the panel and your no worse off

leatherique sells a nice product called Rejuvenator and Pristine Clean that are nice products for moisturizing / cleaning for next time. Griots product is ok for a quick shot as well but not in the same league on my opinion

21 - 40 of 47 Posts