Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I quote from p.27 of this month's Top Gear:

"In effect, the Gran Turismo replaces the current Coupe, even though it's bigger and will be a touch more expensive at around GBP70,000 when UK deliveries start in the autumn. But then at first glance GBP70,000 doesn'e seem so steep for a car like this. In fact, while Maseratis have had their flaws, they've always been cheaper than people tend to guess. Maserati did some research and found that people thought their cars were in the Aston DB9 or Bentley Continental price league, not the XKR level - which was sort of a compliment, but sort of a disadvantage because very few people can afford GBP100k-odd. So people who could actually afford a Maserati were ruling it out because they thought they couldn't."

Now, isn't that interesting... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
its true..but

Maserati did some research and found that people thought their cars were in the Aston DB9 or Bentley Continental price league, not the XKR level
Thats true if you consider just the price of the car,but if you take the overall TCO( total cost of ownership) for the 3-5 yrs, it is similar to the Astons and Bentleys

·
Registered
237 Posts
I find that issue of pricing difficult to believe. Anyone who can afford to spend ~$100K on a car knows how to look up the price and do a little research....they wouldn't just "rule it out" because they didn't "think they could afford it" without checking the price at least once....or ask a fellow car enthusiast. Furthermore, I don't believe people in the market really cross-shop a GS to a DB9...if they did because they thought they "were in the same league" there'd be a 3 year waiting list for Maseratis since they are about $60K cheaper than a DB9. I think it is all a bunch of bunk. Your typical GS/Coupe buyer is probably someone who cross-shops the 911 or MB CL or BMW M6 and wants something a little more unique, yet still functional.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
as well, i doubt that folks with GBP100k would not have brains to do a little research.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I quote from p.27 of this month's Top Gear:

"In effect, the Gran Turismo replaces the current Coupe, even though it's bigger and will be a touch more expensive at around GBP70,000 when UK deliveries start in the autumn. But then at first glance GBP70,000 doesn'e seem so steep for a car like this. In fact, while Maseratis have had their flaws, they've always been cheaper than people tend to guess. Maserati did some research and found that people thought their cars were in the Aston DB9 or Bentley Continental price league, not the XKR level - which was sort of a compliment, but sort of a disadvantage because very few people can afford GBP100k-odd. So people who could actually afford a Maserati were ruling it out because they thought they couldn't."

Now, isn't that interesting... :rolleyes:
Yes, most people I've run into have assumed it is a $150-200k or more car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It is a double edged sword.

While I like the fact that most assume that I am rich, and I spent way too much for a car.
The bad part is most expect the rich guy to buy the beer :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, most people I've run into have assumed it is a $150-200k or more car.
maybe so, but those aren't people actively looking to purchase a car in that category....those people (whether they be successful business folk, professionals or rarely just lucky) have the sense to do a little research and see if they can afford the object of their desire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts