Maserati Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps,

I've been working on a set of mods for my GranSport (mostly through FormulaDynamics :cool:) and wanted to check with some of the savvier people on here what to do with regards to insurance.

Clearly every policy is different but if any of you had the ECU chip and other performance enhancing mods, how did you handle the discussion with the insurance company?

Any advice is much appreciated :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Chaps,

I've been working on a set of mods for my GranSport (mostly through FormulaDynamics :cool:) and wanted to check with some of the savvier people on here what to do with regards to insurance.

Clearly every policy is different but if any of you had the ECU chip and other performance enhancing mods, how did you handle the discussion with the insurance company?

Any advice is much appreciated :)

Cheers!
Typically, any mod which is performance-enhancing should be informed to the insurers, and based on the additional risk (!) they would adjust the premium accordingly. If you do not declare them, and you have an incident, they can decline paying-up. Pretty much in a similar line to warranty issues: fit a non-OEM part, you get a mechanical screw-up, and (depending on the dealer) they could say "sorry dude, warranty is void" if they feel (or want to press) the argument that it was the non-OEM mod the culprit of the problem.

Here in the UK even exhaust mods have to be notified.

Just my 2c.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I wonder if the insurance company has the right to rescind the contract in case of mods.

Sort of worried if these guys drop me, given the fact I am a temporary resident here, no other insurance company will step in :confused:

·
Registered
660 Posts

I wonder if the insurance company has the right to rescind the contract in case of mods.

Sort of worried if these guys drop me, given the fact I am a temporary resident here, no other insurance company will step in :confused:
Hence give 'em a call and check for your peace of mind. Guess you need to read the fine-print in your contract. Bear in mind that anything not there is not enforceable, BUT from what you're saying you are walking on a fine line (they, insurers, know you have no other options) and I wouldn't risk being dropped-off and then being unable to drive. That's far worse than not installing the mods.

Have a look here

http://www.torquecars.com/articles/modified-car-insurance.php

Ed

·
Registered
478 Posts
I won't for a moment claim to be savvy, but I think this warrants a country-by-country look at what's statutory and what's 'done'. For example, Ed's mention of notifying the carrier about an exhaust system change in the UK isn't (to my knowledge) generally required in the US. But culturally, the UK is VERY fastidious about abiding by the law. Japan, I couldn't guess.

My approach (maybe I'm not savvy:D) is that I will not inform about any mods, and I doubt very much they'd be detectable (esp that Jeff built me a "warranty mode" bypass).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts