Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, on average what are your insurance premiums to insure a 2014 Gran Turismo in NJ?

Thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
As far as car insurance goes , figuring out an “average” premium is as challenging as it gets ; the biggest pricing factors are : age, driving record, marital status, number of additional cars owned, and the zip code where the car resides.
So if you want to do some benchmarking , best to find someone in NJ, with a roughly comparable profile ( single or married, of comparable age, traffic violations record , etc ) and see what they pay and with which nsurance company, since not all of them are created equal ..
Just as a reference point, the exact same car’ insurance cost just based on the owner’s profile can easily vary 100 %, 200 %, or even much more . One of my co-workers bought the same car as mine ( a Porsche , same year , same model ), and also lived in the same area as I did. But he was 27 or 28 I think, single , and had one speeding ticket. Also that was his only car. I was 50 at the time , married ,no traffic violations on record, and had four other cars insured with the same company . I was paying ( if I remember correctly .) about $ 800 annually for the same liability limits , physical damage cover and same deductibles that he was seeking. He was quoted $ 6,000 a year ! I remember that distinctly because he came over to my office in a complete state of shock and disbelief of the premium difference between the two of us, on a car which was the same .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points. In my case, mid 50s, no tickets or accidents in well over 15 years
I have a 2015 Corvette and pay 1125 per year and was curious what the Gran Turismo cost was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Condon Skelly, 2013 GTS 11,000 miles on it.. Agreed value of $48,000. $576/year... Comes out to be $48 a month.... $1000 deductible... Drove it 4000 miles this year... Great deal

·
Registered
551 Posts
not to discourage more community involvement, but wouldn't it be just as easy to call 2 or 3 places(including current company) and get quotes on the fly? that's what i did the day before my last car purchase. they're your quotes at that point, instead of infinitely variable forum comparisons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Condon Skelly, 2013 GTS 11,000 miles on it.. Agreed value of $48,000. $576/year... Comes out to be $48 a month.... $1000 deductible... Drove it 4000 miles this year... Great deal
Thank you.
I will check with them on both cars.
2014 GT 4.7
53 years old
Metro Atlanta
No accidents
No tickets
Car garaged
$155 a month
thank you

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Just one suggestion ; do an internet search on insurance companies ranking in terms of worst to best by number of consumer complaints re claims handling. Also check the State’s better business bureau info online once you identify two or thre companies you think you might select. The last thing you want to do is to chose a company simply based on premiums, and then deal with a nightmare if and when you may have a claim . The cheapest companies are not necessarily always the ones who systematically hassle and try to penny pinch everything when you expect your claim to be fairly handled.

·
Registered
133 Posts
2015 Granturismo sports
15k miles at the moment

37 years old in Indiana

$1035/ 6 months

$500 deductible

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good morning, call Hagerty I recently went through the process and found them to be the best for my situation. I am 81 no tickets ,no accidents , declared value of $50000, and I average about 3000miles a year on the Mas. I also have my Aston with them, good folks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In the UK we have price comparison web sites where you put in all your details and you get numerous quotes. When I renewed in July I had quotes between £880 and £3,400. You also need to check what is covered. My policy for example has Europe wide recovery which costs £250 if bought separately

·
Registered
133 Posts
In the UK we have price comparison web sites where you put in all your details and you get numerous quotes. When I renewed in July I had quotes between £880 and £3,400. You also need to check what is covered. My policy for example has Europe wide recovery which costs £250 if bought separately
Here in the states we have websites like them but they spam our phones and emails with so much junk right after so its best to get a quote from one insurance agency at a time and keep third party spammers away

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, all this plan seems to be good, but what you should do when you are buying a new car and you are pretty afraid of collisions. So to say, I bought a second GranTurismo Sport 2020 and I was really afraid as I crashed once when I was taking my first GranTurismo from the dealer some years ago and it took too much money to repair it. But, as you know once repaired you will always repair it. That's why I searched for a zero-dawn coverage. This is what I found when I was googling to get insurance now pay later. This is the perfect way to ensure your car if you don't have enough money to pay your insurance coverage for now. You will need only your driving record, penalties (if you have), Vehicle safety precautions,Level of coverage and Deductible. This seems to be the quickest and cheapest option

·
Registered
82 Posts
In Michigan, which probably has the highest rates in the country due to the no-fault insurance.

31yr old, 2013 GT MC (~15K miles)
~$1300 / 6 months
$500 deductible

I'll be doing some shopping in the next month or so to see if I can lower it.
I use the car as a DD from the moment the snow is gone (don't wanna deal with the salt) and keep driving until snow comes the next winter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recently switched my car from USAA to Hagerty to save money (by allowing me to exclude my teenage daughter from the policy).
Unfortunately, yesterday I had a stone hit and chip the window. It is not cracked, but I just wanted to get it repaired. This would have been no charge with USAA as it is completely covered with no deductible. However, with Hagerty they only cover $60. The repair is $155 (additional $20 for onsite mobile service).
My "savings" by switching to Hagerty just got reduced by $95. Something to think about for others when they have claims.

·
Registered
55 Posts
AAA quoted $1,500 or so for the year. SoCal. $100k/$300k limit.

Barrett-Jackson quoted $1,000 for the year. 3,000 miles a year driving limit. Must have another car for daily driving.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I recently switched my car from USAA to Hagerty to save money (by allowing me to exclude my teenage daughter from the policy).
Unfortunately, yesterday I had a stone hit and chip the window. It is not cracked, but I just wanted to get it repaired. This would have been no charge with USAA as it is completely covered with no deductible. However, with Hagerty they only cover $60. The repair is $155 (additional $20 for onsite mobile service).
My "savings" by switching to Hagerty just got reduced by $95. Something to think about for others when they have claims.
I looked at Hagerty and Grundy, and while both offered good coverage at much better rates than what I had with Amica, I really took some time to read through their coverage plans and I found that they were not as complete as what I had with Amica. I'm an old Corvette guy (I've had 17 of them) and while I don't own one now, I decided to check with the National Corvette Museum Insurance Company and I was quoted a rate of $596 for the year, for agreed value coverage, with 3000 miles allowed. I have a $0 deductible on all portions of my coverage. NCM Insurance covers all collectible and exotic cars, but you must be aware that they require the covered car to be garaged and you must provide proof that you have a "daily driver" to use.

If anyone is interested, the web site is: National Corvette Museum Insurance Company

2013 GT convertible - 25k miles
Agreed value: $45000
Clean driving record

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I highly recommend agreed value insurance policies for our aging cars. The coverage is generally no more expensive than a regular policy, but much better protection for total losses. The additional benefit is that you can typically work out a value with the insurance company that can be 25%, or even more, above the average market value . The drawback is that many policies will restrict the annual mileage you can put on the car, the max is usually about 5,000, with some being more restrictive to just & 3,000. And of course no tracking / racing the car .
In terms of the “ total “ value thresholds used, keep in mind that insurance companies are regulated by States, and although in the majority of states insurers will total your car if the cost of repair is 80% to 70% of the car’s market value, some states are as low as 50 % . Just something to consider ..
Also for those in other parts of the world ; one of the Porsche forum members from England indicated the total threshold there is just 40% , so who knows what other countries have, but best to check the standards where you live, it may be worthwhile to look into ageeed value policies even more so .. IMO.

p.s. No, I don’t sell insurance 😝

1 - 20 of 22 Posts