Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My insurance company (Zürich) pulls my vin as a 2017 model year when it is in fact a 2016 (verified by the data plate on the door)

Another oddity.
I have had my GT serviced at three different dealerships since I purchased it in July (of 2022). For whatever reason, one of the dealerships typed "Gran Turismo MC" on the service documents while my car is not an "MC"
(Where I live that would be a real F1 MC, not the North American ZF MC)

One would think with all locations being Maserati dealerships they would know the difference between a Sport and MC but I digress.

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
5,213 Posts
This happened to my Porsche a couple of times, it’s a 1994 but on DMV records it showed up as a 1995. Even on some dealers database it showed up as ‘95. I checked with the forum and a bunch of members indicated that there were two stages of production in certain years ; and early 94 and a late 94 . The late 94 builds were often , but not always , recorded as a 1995 model year. Strange . So wondering if Maserati might have something similar . As for the MC designation, no clue what that’s all about ..

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This happened to my Porsche a couple of times, it’s a 1994 but on DMV records it showed up as a 1995. Even on some dealers database it showed up as ‘95. I checked with the forum and a bunch of members indicated that there were two stages of production in certain years ; and early 94 and a late 94 . The late 94 builds were often , but not always , recorded as a 1995 model year. Strange . So wondering if Maserati might have something similar . As for the MC designation, no clue what that’s all about ..

I have heard of a few instances where Italian factories have been know to occasionally assign the wrong model year VINs to cars that are either a couple of years older (or newer) or double listing a VIN to a car that already exists, for example retyping a 2008 model year VIN to a Canadian car to a 2017 model car.

VINs in North America are considerably longer sequence of numbers and letters where as most EU market VINs are about 6-8 numbers on average (some exceptions made for high volume cars such as BMW, Toyotas of Fords).

My dad had a Countach way back in the day (prior to wife and kid), his VIN number was duplicated by the factory on accident and the dealership had to write a letter (directed from the factory) to explain the issue so he could get it registered in Holland (The Netherlands).
He drove around on temp tags for about 4 months until they could correct the issue and made him take his car in to the dealership (which was really an importer as Lamborghini did not have that many dealerships at that time) so they could install the new VIN plate and data plate to correct the VIN mistake.

· Registered
225 Posts
I think even if a car is produced say july 1 2020 , but didnt actually make it out of the production facility , off a shipping container/ port of call and then to a dealership until jan 1, 2021, often times they consider it a year newer for tax or model purposes (for example that becomes a 2021 model year car) You can find examples of this happening with pretty much every car manufacture and its even further confusing sometimes because car companies will concurrently make outgoing and incoming model cars at the same time for usually a 6month overlap. In the example you gave about porsche, you could buy a 997.2 911 in 2012 and the 991 porsche in 2012 at the same time.

The second thing about the Granturismo MC issue is I think Maserati legally didn't make the differentiation of the MC vs Sport to the government since this is a limited production car maybe they wanted to skirt extra rules? I think it was another tax thing at-least in north america and as a consequence if you check carfax/any vin reporting utulity you will see pretty much ALL granturismo Sports/S/MC/SPORTLINE as the same car. My 2015 also says Granturismo MC on the vin checks as well . I dont think its anything nefarious, but it is funny that maserati wouldnt pay extra for that but porsche has 10 versions arguably of the same car (911) and they all have unique vins and identifiers.

· Registered
4,635 Posts
Insurance companies are smoking that ish in general. I noticed a slight uptick in my premium for the Masi, no other vehicles on my policy had an increase. The explanation I received was sent to me in the mail and I quote, "An increase in rates can be due to a rating change based on specific factors in your area, new laws or regulations, increase in repair costs, or an increase in claim activity in your state."
"An increase in claim activity in my state," WTF does that have to do with my insurance going up, I didn't file any claim??? :mad:
Some BS as usual...I'll see myself out! :LOL:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts