Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month ago on a road trip I got sprayed with gravel in the middle of the night by a construction truck. I didn't realize how bad it was until the next morning (in retrospect, I should have stopped and gotten the construction company info, but I didn't).

I filed a claim with my insurance company, and they agreed to pay for the repairs. They sent out the adjuster who agreed that there were chips on the following items: front bumper, right front fender, left front fender, front grill, both headlights, a pillars, windshield, hood, roof, right door and right rear quarter panel. (Like i said, I had NO IDEA how bad it was until the daylight)

When did the accuquote on the system, he said since there wasn't a Maserati in the system, he just put in a Mercedes. The repair quote came to $3781.66. Yep. Just under 4k. When I looked at the quote, it was for a 06 Mercedes C280. He just said "painting a hood on a Maserati or a Mercedes is the same thing." I rejected his quote and took it to the dealer's body shop. To do the same repairs that he authorized, they quoted $16,887.60. So we are only off about 12,000. I had the body shop send him the quote, and his response was "They are repairing it wrong. They are saying they want to strip the paint all the way off. All they need to do is feather the rock chips and paint on the damaged area, not repaint the entire piece."

I also made the argument to the insurance adjuster that since more than 65% of my car is being repainted, I have some concerns about the finish not being a perfect match. He didn't respond to that at all.

So my question is, has anyone dealt with anything like this? What is my next path of recourse? I really don't want my QP to be "spot repaired", and would like her back to her black shiny goodness like before the accident.

Any advice would be welcome.

TIA

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
So my question is, has anyone dealt with anything like this? What is my next path of recourse? I really don't want my QP to be "spot repaired", and would like her back to her black shiny goodness like before the accident.
Well, first of all, a good body shop CAN do exactly what he's describing and make it look as-new. And if your car is a solid color & not a metallic black, it's even easier for that to happen. Secondly, if you agree to the work as they are authorizing it, and it turns out like crap, you can always go after the insurance company to make it right... in fact, you should point this out to the adjuster - remind him that if they do it his way & it turns out to be unsatifactory, then they're going to have to pay to have it done twice - or three times - or however many times until it's right.... or they can pay to have it done right the 1st time. Alternately, before you have the repairs done you can request arbitration over your claim.

Honestly, though - a top-notch body shop should indeed be able to take care of it without a total strip & respray of all the panels involved. Perhaps ask around in your area to see who's the best - who has the latest & greatest equipment, the best painters, etc., then have the work done there.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
Sorry to hear about that.

I wouldn't be overly concerned at this stage since the insurance company are not presiding over an actual repair quote by a professional repairer - just an opinion. I think you are in a good place to take the initiative here.

Usually insurance firms have approved repair shops they work with. I would find another independent shop (approved by your insurer) near you and get them to do a full diagnosis report and repair quote. If they have a detailer on site, they should be able to perform a detailed analysis of the paint damage. With proper examination under different lights, you may find there are dozens if not hundreds of smaller marks not immediately visible - something that may be impossible to fix properly without a full re-spray.

If possible, also get the dealer to do the same detailed analysis such that they would be prepared to stand behind it.

It should then be a different story if you have two quotes sitting in your hands with detailed fault analysis and indicating a similar cost range. All the insurance company have to fall back on then is their initial cursory, non-professional opinion. You may then find the insurance company has to agree to think again as they realise you are not going to be a pushover and have data and analysis to back up your claim.

I do not think I have ever met a professional repairer who would advise partial re-spray of a panel - it is so difficult to match paint they know that any discerning customer would not stand for the results.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I do not think I have ever met a professional repairer who would advise partial re-spray of a panel - it is so difficult to match paint they know that any discerning customer would not stand for the results.
I think you make some really good points - especialyl the one about the possibility that there might be additional, smaller damage apart from the more obvious chips. That's probably something that should indeed be taken into account.

I disagree with your statement above, though - it all comes down to whether the particular body shop is more concerned with their own needs (being able to charge more for a full strip & respray on entire panels) or serving their customers - spot refinishing can be done & is done all the time. Obviously if he can get the insurance to pony up for that, that would be the best way to go; but if he can't, then a good body shop that's interested in serving their customer in the best way they can within those parameters can get the job done & do it well.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
I do not disagree that a good body shop could do a good job of spot refinishing if the damage lends itself well to that process. If you have experience of partial panel re-sprays that look OEM then that is great to hear (and I am not doubting it) - it's just that I have yet to personally experience it.

I think the main point is that the ball is in HJQP's court at the moment and it doesn't sound like the insurer is actually presiding over their own damage report/estimate from a professional body shop - just the opinion of the adjuster who is trying his luck.

As you point out, as an important stakeholder in this matter, HJQP should point out that if the results are not in keeping with the standards of the marque/car then the insurer may have to pay out to have it re-done - so they may as well get it right first time.

·
Registered
778 Posts
What insurance company do you have? From my knowledge you are allowed to take your car anywhere to get fixed, and you are allowed to choose what gets fixed and how it gets fixed. I know that a few years ago when one of my friends got into an accident he had statefarm. Statefarm first got a ridiculously low quote from a body shop it included used parts and some aftermarket parts. My friend wanted his car fixed with all OEM parts, so he took it to the Lexus dealer and got a proper quote. Now since the dealer price was soo high they just totalled out his car and gave him money. Im pretty sure you have the option to fix the car however you like, since it is YOUR car. I think thats actually a law also, but I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So about a month ago on a road trip I got sprayed with gravel in the middle of the night by a construction truck. I didn't realize how bad it was until the next morning (in retrospect, I should have stopped and gotten the construction company info, but I didn't).

I filed a claim with my insurance company, and they agreed to pay for the repairs. They sent out the adjuster who agreed that there were chips on the following items: front bumper, right front fender, left front fender, front grill, both headlights, a pillars, windshield, hood, roof, right door and right rear quarter panel. (Like i said, I had NO IDEA how bad it was until the daylight)

When did the accuquote on the system, he said since there wasn't a Maserati in the system, he just put in a Mercedes. The repair quote came to $3781.66. Yep. Just under 4k. When I looked at the quote, it was for a 06 Mercedes C280. He just said "painting a hood on a Maserati or a Mercedes is the same thing." I rejected his quote and took it to the dealer's body shop. To do the same repairs that he authorized, they quoted $16,887.60. So we are only off about 12,000. I had the body shop send him the quote, and his response was "They are repairing it wrong. They are saying they want to strip the paint all the way off. All they need to do is feather the rock chips and paint on the damaged area, not repaint the entire piece."

I also made the argument to the insurance adjuster that since more than 65% of my car is being repainted, I have some concerns about the finish not being a perfect match. He didn't respond to that at all.

Any advice would be welcome.

TIA
Maybe the right amount is somehow in the middle. Why don't you give a call to QueenCity in Redmond, WA? They do lot of Ferraris, Maserati, Bentleys, etc. They are used to deal with insurance, have been in business long enough and offer great warranty... they are NOT the cheapest but would give you a good comparison point. I guess they need to see the car to do the proper quote but Steve can maybe be of help and it is just a 5 hrs drive from Newport :thumbsup: or maybe they can give you some local reference in Portland.

Best Luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just get a complete paint job for 24000HK$ (approx. 2800US$)

Maserati quoted double...for the whole car....would be 5600US$!

17000US$ seems to be really too much...usually paint shops charge per panel and it is really no difference to paint a Mercedes or Maserati....
Just that Maserati will have the higher hour rate....

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
Wow, you must have significantly lower labour costs in HK?

$16.8K seems pretty much in line with UK Maserati prices. I got quoted $2.2K to repaint/refit the rear bumper and I imagine HJQP's replacement parts will be in the region of at least $3K of that total.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice (and helping me feel like I'm not TOTALLY crazy...)

I am going to meet with the adjuster manager on Monday at the body shop. Today the adjuster told me that he is only going to fix the rock chips done by the truck, and not any others on the car (which there were only a couple that had been touched up). So, I asked him if I should just open up one claim for each month I owned the car, and have them all fixed? What was the difference between the rock chips done by the truck and other chips on the car? That's when he referred me to his manager :) Oh well.

I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks again guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts