Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many people have talked about upgrading the coupes stereo system and all the associated hurdles involved, I have been inclined to hold off. Not too mention two very professional car stereo facilities did not want to be bothered or were $3,000 plus for a basic sound system upgrade.

$3,000 was not worth it to me, all I really need is some good bottom end. I can live with the average highs and mids and eq my tracks accordingly on my computer before I rip them for the best sound given the car's speakers limitations.

Someone suggested I have a small powered sub installed as an additional speaker in the car. They just require being patched into the sound output and need some juice.

Those members that have tweaked their stereos, can you please comment on this idea. Again, I am just looking for some good bottom end at a reasonable price without really taking apart and risking the entire navigation system?

Thanks. CM

One other comment??? If Maserati discontinues the coupe and the spyder and goes forward with the GS and a lower end coupe and convertible, what happens to the value of our cars? CM

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
CM

can you keep us posted if you go forward with your upgrade?

I like the idea of the slim subwoofer.

I had a very good local shop look over my Spider and suggest 2 options...the differnce being the quality of the speakers and amp...

1. $1700 for the cheaper
2. $2500 for the best

either way he was going to build a custom enclosure at the foot rest area on the passenger side. If I was with a taller person, I would have to remove the sub or have them bend their legs.

He also wanted at least 1 week to do the install as he did not want to rush it and wanted everything to be perfect.

I would agree, the Slim subs which HAHA posted could be placed under the seat or behind one or both seats......One could run the stock speakers or upgrade the stock ones......my only concern about running aftermarket speakers is they will likely power hungry. and need an amp..

I suppose you could run the subs with the stock speaker set up and run a CAP which rolled off at 100hz to free the stock speaker of lower frequencies, it would also take the strain off the stock amp.....

I;ve also did some work on my tiny Lotus Elan, I used Boston Speakers to replace the cheap stock ones...A Kenwood Deck with the internal amp running the Bostons....I am running Aura Bass Shakers under each seat which add bass presence....the last thing I added was a Kenwood powered bass tube in the trunk.......the thing sounds very good especially for a Convertable......it is hard to do bass in a convertable as the trunks are insulated more than a standard vehicle...therefore lots of installers do not put woofers in the trunk and try to do the enclosure within the cabin...

wheew....i need to cut the caffine after 6pm.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
There are some very good suggestions on previous threads, one which is entitled, "Stereo Upgrades." I too replaced my system, going with an after market amplifier, mostly new speakers, and an Infinity BassLink, which mounts in the trunk. The BassLink is a very impressive piece of equipment for the money, allowing a great degree of tuning from just a subtle support of the low end to a more, "Urban-style," pounding. Obviously, it won't rattle the doors off, if that's what your looking for. It allows for both low and high impedance inputs, so you can feed speaker wire inputs from the existing parcel shelf speakers if you didn't want to splice into the pin-outs of the head unit (though, they are readily accessible under the center armrest-Naturally, getting a new wire to the trunk is a bit demanding). It has adjustable crossover, volume, and bass boost controls. It also includes a wired remote bass adjustment knob for the passenger compartment, though I don't use that. Finally, it does have a remote-on type feature, so you can, for example, run a 12v line from the CD changer to the BassLink, so that when the CD changer powers up with the turning on of the stereo, it too powers up. The principal power would come from the battery, though. The downside is that it does take up about 1/3rd of the trunk space. The trunk is so small anyway, though, it really hasn't gotten in the way of anything I ever intended to put in there. Large soft-sided things would go in the back seat even without the BassLink. Food for thought. Good Luck.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thank you for all of your comments, I will keep eveyone posted.

Hopefully, Santa will bring me a stereo upgrade for Christmas. And my wife will get me my 1st 6,000 mile oil change....

CM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stereo upgrade

I just upgraded my 02 coupe thanks to Drive In AutoSound.

I did the MB Quart speakers for the front. I left the rear speakers alone. I added a Kicker 12" subwoofer in the trunk and a Kenwood Excelon 270 watt amplifier. The subwoofer and amp are mounted in the spare tire compartment, flush with the floor of the trunk. The amplifier powers the front MB Quart speakers and the subwoofer. The factory amp now powers only the rear speakers.

I finally feel like I have a sound system compatible with the car.

·
Registered
835 Posts
chris... if you are planning to install the powered sub, clarion may be a better solution than kenwood as it is more compact. kenwood offers more RMS but does not go under the seat I doubt clarion would fit either (but it is an inch lower than kenwood).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts