Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month my local indy shop did a full examination of my 2013 GTS and found that one of the inner tie rod ends was loose and needed replacement. My car has 25,000 miles and it seemed strange to me that the tie rods ends would have worn out by now, but these things happen I guess. The shop contacted Maserati who told them that they had to buy a complete steering rack to fix the issue at a cost of $3,000+ to which we'd then have to add the labor to put it in. My local shop though this was excessive and suggested I go look for a 2nd hand part or some other source and they'd be happy to replace it for me and then do the alignment that I needed.

I looked at Scuderia Parts and they found the part number (267186) but could only offer me a full steering rack, just like the manufacturer. This would be cheaper than buying it from Maserati, but still $2,600 + shipping. I looked at this forum and everywhere on Ebay and all other sites I could think of to try and source the part, but either the part number wasn't the same or they could not confirm whether the part would fit my car. I noticed that the part number for the steering rack was different for older models of the GT, and I didn't want to run the risk of ordering a part that would not fit my car.

I ended up finding a source on the UK version of Ebay and it was a Polish company called Exotic Cars, Parts, and Service Group (www.ecpsgroup.com, email [email protected]) who did in fact stock the inner tie rod ends. According to the "Will it fit?" dialogue on the Ebay page, the part would in fact fit my car. These were new tie rods ends, manufactured to meet or exceed the OEM spec, and they were priced at 200 GBP each (~$300 USD). I ordered a set of two and they were delivered in 10 days. Yesterday they were put in the car by my local indy and fit perfectly. They charged me 1.5 hours of labor for each inner tie rod replacement + $260 for a 4-wheel alignment, all in ~$800 with sales tax. Throw in the cost of the tie rod ends themselves and it ended up at $1,400 which is at least $2k cheaper than if I had gone for the complete steering rack replacement.

Once I had ordered them I started digging in a little more on Scuderia Parts and I noticed that the steering rack in my car with part number 267186 is now in fact the OEM replacement part for older GTs also. I guess Maserati upgraded the part and hence the reason why 2nd hand steering racks off older models have a different part number. For that reason I guess 2nd hand parts from older GTs will probably fit a newer GT model also. The only model that had a different steering rack part number was the MC, which I assume is because of a different suspension setup than the Base and Sport models.

Either way I just wanted to share my experience with the forum members and if someone is looking for tie rod ends for a Maserati GT, I can recommend this supplier. If you end up ordering them, don't forget to order the rubber bellows (which I forgot) since they're cheap and should probably be replaced at the same time.

Hope this helps if someone finds themselves in a similar situation.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thank you for the time and effort it took you to write this up... You did a very nice job and I am certain it will help a lot of us!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, those links are for outer tie rod ends - not the inner ones. The rubber boot is for the inner tie rod ends and yes, it is the one I should have bought but didn't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts