Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member to the forum, just purchased 2002 GT. There are problems with swirls in the clear coat and I am looking for any technical information about the factory paint process (eg: mil thickness of clear coat, layering process, etc.). If clear coat is thick enough, I will have it wet sanded.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have any technical specifications for you, but my experience with my '02 Coupe is that the paint is VERY thin. Contact with just about any size pebble removes paint. Particularly alarming is the lower area just front of the rear wheel well. I had some defects in the paint as well. I'm unsure whether these were factory defects or scratches imposed by the first owner. My Maserati/Ferrari dealership did a great job removing 95% of the offending areas, presumably with various glazes. I have the Nero Carbonio (metallic black), and while all dark colors have swirl marks, this is not one of my problems.

Ciao,

Franco P

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I would try to clay the car first and see if that doesn't improve it. I'm not an expert on detailing but have some general knowledge. If you could, post a photo so we can see how bad the swirl is that you are talking about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Andrew
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing