Maserati Forum banner

Info on clutch wear....

19K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Jason@ Enzo`s Atlanta 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just got of the phone with the Maserati service manager. Here is the bottom line with the clutch questions (that many of us have had)

1) New clutch with flywheel...$4800.
2) The clutches will operate fine, no issues until the car clutch has used up 70-80% of its life. In other words, if you have the clutch wear tested and they tell you your clutch is "at 50%" that means you have another 30-40% before...you get the $4800 bill.
3) Driving in AUTO ( as in common knowledge) is a bad idea.

This was new to me...hopefully, this helps you.

#2 ·
Can't these flywheels be machined and re-used? Anyone know?

#5 ·
Perhaps, but I haven't met a dealership that would do it!

Lots of people, including myself, have driven their cars with clutch utilization above 100%. It is not a completely accurate measurement. Personally, I would drive the car until either the clutch started to slip or I noticed other signs of excessive wear.

#11 ·
Lots of people, including myself, have driven their cars with clutch utilization above 100%. It is not a completely accurate measurement. Personally, I would drive the car until either the clutch started to slip or I noticed other signs of excessive wear.

I'm curious - i haven't run into this (yet), but i thought that somewhere on these boards I read that the CC system would not let you drive until the clutch slipped - that when the computer thought the clutch was below a certain level (30%?) the car would shut down / not shift / etc. Any truth to this? My inclination is always to drive it until I see slippage, but if the system refuses to cooperate...

#14 ·
I'm curious - i haven't run into this (yet), but i thought that somewhere on these boards I read that the CC system would not let you drive until the clutch slipped - that when the computer thought the clutch was below a certain level (30%?) the car would shut down / not shift / etc. Any truth to this? My inclination is always to drive it until I see slippage, but if the system refuses to cooperate...
Given that I drove my car with a reading of 0% then I would say that it is not true!

#3 ·
I was told by my service manager to put the car into auto whenever I'm in stop and go type driving. He said this prevents the computer from hunting back and forth between gears and increasing clutch wear. I asked him twice about this because it seemed to go against the general feeling on this board, and he was quite confident. Misinformation?

#7 ·
He said this prevents the computer from hunting back and forth between gears
It's quite the opposite, the computer will "hunt back and forth between gears" when in Auto mode, since in Manual YOU are the one shifting, not the computer...

#6 ·
Ok so a few things to clear up I just got my clutch changed on my 03 spyder and yes the flywheel can be resurfaced with a special tool and in terms of the clutch I got one installed with the clutch sensor for under 3000. I know some of you are anal to get everything done at the dealer but unless your car is under warranty still you might as well throw away the money in the trash. If you are in So cal pm me I will give you details on where to take the car.

#9 ·
Gcalo has a good post on clutch refits clutchmasters and one other company will resurface the FW AND refit the clutch with kevlar friction material and heavier springs but you need to send them your old clutch...most dealers will not put one in from what I have heard...I am on the hunt for a clutch core so I can have one refitted and ready for the swap then just take it to the dealer for clutch calibration

#15 ·
The Clutch % indicator is really an inaccurate measurement. Simply a tool that was designed to help the dealership anticipate wear and sell clutches. Not that it is intentionally faulty, however it is often inaccurate. I would not make a decision to replace my clutch based on this reading. I'd go with Paradon, drive it until it slips or doesn't drive any further. If you're worried about getting stranded and you have a CC, just replace it when they tell you to and you'll pay a bit for the convienance of it.

I also would not resurface a flywheel. It can be done properly but... it's probably not going to be performed properly. The last thing you want to do is to take on the labor and not properly fix the clutch and replace all wearable components. I'm all about saving money and I try to help many owners on this board do so when it makes sense to. In this case, you really want to get the right parts and have the job performed properly. That is not to say that many quality independants can't get the job done for less money. Just be sure that they'll stand behind their work.

Driving in Auto will not help, it can only hurt. Unfortunately the Maserati dealers often do not know nearly what they should considering the price and technology of the products the are selling. The techs will likely know more than someone you will speak to on the floor, even then... they may have gathered this information on their own and not as a result of the training they have received from the factory.

Don't get me wrong, I love Maserati, the brand and there are some great dealers here in the USA. However, it's been my experience that you'll want to verify some of the information that you're told there.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

#16 ·
Jeff: Your input greatly appreciated and helpful to the regular readers of this forum. The expertise and common sense that you and Kent have shared with us in regard to the care of our Maseratis is invaluable - thanks!

#17 ·
Question for Jeff or anyone else . . .

I understand that the clutch wear reading that can be extracted via SD2/3 is inaccurate. So, when this reading shows that your clutch is very worn there may actually be a lot of life left. Question is, if the reading shows that the clutch has very little wear (like 10% or less) is this measurement more accurate? IOW, can you trust the reading more to say that the clutch is good versus the clutch being bad?

Thanks.

#19 ·
Kevlar clutch

Steve if you live in NYC I would not let the the dealer replace the clutch. Whether the original or a Kevlar rebuild which everybody says is better . I Just had FD springs installed, FD brake pads and new rotors by Classic Coach in Elizabeth NJ. it took 2 days and cost 30% less than the dealer. There labor rate is $89 an hour not $140 like the dealer. The also can do warranty work because they have a Maserati dealership in Orlando. They are primarily a Ferrari shop but work on Alfa and Maserati. Incredible place doing frame of restorations of older cars and engine modifications on new Ferrari"s . Most of all they have an honest reputation do great work, they treat you with courtesy and respect. Good luck

#24 ·
Many flywheels can be resurfaced if not badly damaged.

MC12Dave frequently has some spares and may be able to help you out.

Dealers want to use OEM parts because a) they make $ on then parts, and b) if the car is under warranty they don't want to be responsible for parts independently provided.

However, a clutch is most considered a "consumable" which, from what I understand, is not covered under warranty.

So, therefore, I would always recommend having an independent replace your clutch.

#25 ·
Paunch,

I believe that Bugattitech is correct, it does have quite a bit to do with how the parameters were set at the last adjustment. It is a relative measurement. I do believe it has "some" value to help determine how much clutch you've been through since your last adjustment. With that said, it's easy to manipulate this number to show that you need a clutch or that you have plenty of clutch left! Even when everything is done just right... it's still just an estimate and it also does not take into account other issues such as warpage, uneven wear or use on other related components. I believe the bottom line is to take it with a grain of salt and just drive the clutch until it slips or the computer stops you from driving it.

As GCalo said... you can resurface. However your need to have this done by someone who really knows what they are doing and how it will affect YOUR Maserati. There are a few really good shops out there that know how to do this.

I believe that BigFoot is also correct about 2004 being the introduction of the dual tang clutch on the 4200 series.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

#29 ·
Hey 👋 good evening.
I have 04 CC and need a full cluch service done. I live in Burbank.
I see lots of different options and prices, looking for cheap and fast. Car has 90k and is showing lots of wear.. I wanna drive her till I can put some money to fix her up. If ya have a good line one somewhere that has a great price. That would be Amazing 👏
If you could please steer me in the right direction that would be awesome.
Thank you very much,
David
PS.. also looking for a grill for my 04 CC as well. It is missing.
Mounted by four top screws go up, and 4 lower pointed clips going in to nose piece.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.