Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cruise control setting hs given up the ghost and means I need to replace the whole indicator stalk/cruise actuator.

Got a new one on order from Ross at Meridien (worlds' greatest customer service :) ) but just enquiring how easy it is to fit ?

I'm assuming it's just a lift off of the airbag cover, disconnect and remove air bag, undo large steering wheel retaining nut, remove steering wheel, unscrew indicator stalk unit, fit new one and then put it all back together in reverse ?!

Thought I'd better check first though, in case the air bag needs something special.

Cheers

CJ

·
Registered
660 Posts
TBH I would not mess around with it... or with any system where airbags are involved.

Send it to Graypaul Edinburgh. Get in touch with Bob Purves or Andrew Hamilton-Gray, and tell them Eduardo gave you their details and if they can help you out (and give you a reasonable quote for the job...) Andrew is Graypaul's boss there.

HTH.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Airbags are NOT something you want to mess with if you don't know the procedure. At best, you'll get a perpetual airbag warning light. At worst, you'll seriously hurt yourself.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stalks

Thanks chaps - whilst I appreciate your concerns I'm not sure that it needs the expertise of a Maserati garage at £150/hr plus vat. We're talking about technology that has been in existence for many years on many cars, so I would have thought any competent garage can do it ? Wasn't going to do it myself mind you !

Have found a very useful link to doing it on a Boxster - I'm sure the procedure is pretty much the same, with the important thing being to disconnect the battery and then wait at least 15 mins before carrying out any work. http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/obc.stalk.pdf

I'll let you know how I get on - these cruise control switches will probably be a common issue for cars over 5 years old.

Cheers

CJ

·
Registered
357 Posts
OK, it sounds like you are on the right track. Disconnect power and let any caps discharge. Disconnect the ignitor circuit. Avoid static electricity. Remove the airbag. After re-installing, be sure all connections are back in place before reconnecting battery. I doubt the fundamentals are any different on a Maserati than any other car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Air bags

OK, it sounds like you are on the right track. Disconnect power and let any caps discharge. Disconnect the ignitor circuit. Avoid static electricity. Remove the airbag. After re-installing, be sure all connections are back in place before reconnecting battery. I doubt the fundamentals are any different on a Maserati than any other car.
Apparently the other big no-no is turning on the ignition with the bag disconnected. This makes the SRS warning light come on, which needs re-setting at a dealer.

Is the airbag held on by hidden torx screws a la Mercedes or screws at the back of the wheel like the Boxster.

Currently on the sofa with flu otherwise I'd go and check !

Update - got off my death bed and had a look. There's two Torx type bolts with a raised centre. Is this a Maserati special tool or widely available ?

Cheers

CJ

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stalks

It's around £70ish I think from memory. Have a look on the Eurospares site. Cheap as chips really for what it is, includes the indicator stalk, cruise control and wash/wipe.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The security torx tools are available from a variety of tool outlets but you might have to check a few before you find them. I assume you are talking about the type that have a post in the center, so require a hole in the center of the tool.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stalking..

Thanks, will have a look.
Well - I am happy to say it's an "easy" job :)

Disconnect battery and leave car alone for 20 mins.

Two security torx screws on back of airbag allows the airbag to be lifted off the steering wheel. Disconnect the airbag connectors.

From there it's a simple dismantle and re-assembly job - I'm not going to go into detail because it really isn't that hard.

Coupe of points to note though

1.) There is a cast iron boss onto which the steering wheel is mounted. This is held on by three screws. The boss is on a grooved spline and takes a bit of pulling to get off. It will come off eventually and you have the option of using the steering wheel to provide some leverage (i.e leave it attached to the boss) or (as I did) use a hub puller mounted onto the steering wheel mounting screw threads on the boss and then use a slide hammer to pull the boss off.

2.) Don't forget to mark the steering wheel, nut and steering column for re-assembly.

3.) DON'T put the key in and battery connected unless the airbag is fully installed, or else you will get a warning light.

Everything now works properly and it's a job that any competent mechanic can do.

Cheers

CJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts