Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming up here on replacing my first clutch. Do any of you know of good independent shops? Where do you take your cars in the San Francisco Bay Area aside from FMSF and FMSV?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Clutch is a dealer item

I would have chimed in, but since you are looking at a clutch, your best/only best is the dealer since you need a SD2 computer to adjust the clutch. ...if you need a suggestion for general non-clutch work, Chris at Bauer Porsche in Oakland has worked on my car and is an excellent mechanic.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Unfortunately, I didn't get the Maserati until I moved to SoCal, so I only know good Porsche mechanics in the Bay Area; however my suggestion would be to search & ask on the Ferrari boards for independent Ferrari mechanics - many Ferrari mechanics also cover Maserati, particularly the more modern Maseratis (given how similar the engines are), and some of them might even have the right equipment to do the clutch change.

For example:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202658&highlight=mechanic

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191316&highlight=mechanic

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180307&highlight=mechanic

·
Registered
793 Posts
---however my suggestion would be to search & ask on the Ferrari boards for independent Ferrari mechanics
Very good idea.

You can try European Autoservice, 1444 Mazda Dr, Walnut Creek, CA- (925) 938-3606 (behind Mazda/Subaru dealer on North Main Street).

I was told he is very good and does Ferrari work. I would think he could direct you with maserati issues.

It's worth a try.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks!

Thanks for all the input!

My car is currently going on its 2nd month of body repair at the shop recommended by FMSF, so I haven't seen my car in 50 days. It is so depressing!

I know I am needing a new clutch soon. I haven't experienced any slippage yet, though. Do you guys suggest I wait? Should I assume the F1 pump will go out soon and have that replaced along with the clutch?

My car is a 2002 Spyder CC with 21,000 miles. I always drive it in Sport.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know I am needing a new clutch soon. I haven't experienced any slippage yet, though. Do you guys suggest I wait?
Personally, I'm very firmly in the "don't fix it if it isn't broken" category - if the clutch isn't slipping, don't fix it. I'd get every last mile I could out of the current clutch before replacing it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think that given the similarities in the engine and the relationship between Ferrari & Maserati any shop should be able to... whether they will, however, is a different question. Notably, here in LA, Eugenio's chooses not to work on them (although I think that's because he already has plenty of work), but based on my own very unscientific survey (i.e. shops I've heard about or talked to) it seems that all/most of the other Ferrari shops around here also work on Maseratis.

Of course, whether a particular shop is any good (on either Maserati or Ferrari) is a whole other question, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.