Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Business Week made the comment that the "average" Maserati owner has an annual income of ~$500K, whereas a Ferrari owner is more than double that!

Dang.....I've got to stop wasting my time posting here and get busy!;)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
No, you just have your priorities correct. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
maseratifan said:
...Dang.....I've got to stop wasting my time posting here and get busy!;)
and I thought I was the only person that curbed the average....

·
Registered
341 Posts
Income

My wife and I had a great laugh recently when we were completing the JD Power survey that arrived in the mail for our new Coupe. When we got to the income part, it started with "less than $199,000"...... and went UP from there... LOL...as we are in the "less than" category! Maybe we should'nt be here! -Bob.

·
Registered
183 Posts
maseratifan said:
Business Week made the comment that the "average" Maserati owner has an annual income of ~$500K, whereas a Ferrari owner is more than double that!

Dang.....I've got to stop wasting my time posting here and get busy!;)
I think a lot of these surveys are just made up to sound good. I know a guy who had a 355, its value was greater than his annual salary.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Ironically you don't need to have real money to buy a Ferrari, they're cheaper in the long run than a Maserati (provided you don't actually drive it). IF you can get one for sticker price (unlikely), you can get it on one of those 12-year payment plans, then resell it a year later for more than you paid for it. That should cover insurance, taxes and all that good stuff. You need to spend real money to own a Maserati. It takes money to make money...

·
Registered
681 Posts
$500K? , if they surveyed some of us average guys who sacrifice alot of other things in our lives to afford cars like these, that average would go way down.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i m sorry but in most rich neighbourhoods, it doesnt seem like the owners acquire the taste of maserati's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Incomes

Sorry i had to answer to this...me being 30 years old and only having an income of 60K a year scares to me even think that the average Maserati owner makes 500K...i am looking at a 07 QP GT am i over my head?I would be buying it outright...it worries me that i might be going beyond my means.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't mean to belittle you but unless you're still living at home with your mom and dad and you're living off of ramen noodles a $60k income is not nearly enough to cover the cost of owning a new QP...I'd say you'd be wayyyy in over your head.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think many new Maser and Ferrari owners bought their cars after some kind of unusual income bump ("liquidity event" or similar). This gives them a one time peak that some may include on a survey. It only takes one guy with a $2M windfall to average in with eight other guys and arrive at $500K.

On the other hand, if the statistic is $500K median income rather than average, I'd be impressed. I agree with M that most wealthy individuals seem to have other things to do than fuss with a Maser, and deal with its eccentricities.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---scares to me even think that the average Maserati owner makes 500K...
Wake up guys.

All car makers publish ridiculous income figures to make a buyer feel he's in a special class of buyers.

Do you really think they know the incomes of their buyers? Do you thenk most well healed people want that information made public?

Work hard, live within your means, and enjoy life.

Forget what anyone else does! Drive your own race.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wake up guys.

All car makers publish ridiculous income figures to make a buyer feel he's in a special class of buyers.

Do you really think they know the incomes of their buyers? Do you thenk most well healed people want that information made public?

Work hard, live within your means, and enjoy life.

Forget what anyone else does! Drive your own race.
Those income values more than likely come from dealers themselves, not the manufacturer making up some superfluous numbers. When a franchised dealer sells a new or pre-owned Maserati they fill out the registration card and part of that information is the purchasers income level. I suspect that not all salespeople ask the question (myself included)...especially if the car is not financed.

I have done my own research into the home values of Maserati owners (zillow.com) that I have sold cars to and found that the average buyer of a pre-owned Maserati owns a home valued at less than $450k while the average home value of a new car buyer was just under $1.2m!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't mean to belittle you but unless you're still living at home with your mom and dad and you're living off of ramen noodles a $60k income is not nearly enough to cover the cost of owning a new QP...I'd say you'd be wayyyy in over your head.
Trident,

I own my own home(thanks to my parents).As a couple me and my wife make about 120K in total..if I pay cash for the QP...it would get a bout 1000 miles a month...and i would be getting an automatic...and no we dont eat ramen noodles..wife drives a 2007 3 series and i have a 2003 Nissan 350Z.

Cost of owning?what does that mean...i am aware oil changes are about 300 and tires 2000 a set...tires is pretty normal....but yes the oil change every 5000 miles..so spending 300 bucks every 5 months is not much...

·
Registered
81 Posts
It sounds like you have an inheritance that can pay for the QP in cash, that's great but I was trying to answer your question based upon what you orginally said. Someone with an annual salary of $60k ($120k HHI) is just not enough to afford a $120k automobile. If you can pay cash with someone elses money that's different and since your home is paid off you've probably got more disposable income than the average Joe earning $60k/yr.

It's all relative but don't be fooled into thinking that becuase you're looking at a new car that the cost to maintain it will be minimal. Like you said, there are service intervals that need to be met, tires are a frequent and expensive proposition plus you've got the obvious costs like fuel and insurance too. Honestly, I would budget roughly $3k/yr above and beyond the stated costs to maintain a QP, they are not cheap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It sounds like you have an inheritance that can pay for the QP in cash, that's great but I was trying to answer your question based upon what you orginally said. Someone with an annual salary of $60k ($120k HHI) is just not enough to afford a $120k automobile. If you can pay cash with someone elses money that's different and since your home is paid off you've probably got more disposable income than the average Joe earning $60k/yr.

It's all relative but don't be fooled into thinking that becuase you're looking at a new car that the cost to maintain it will be minimal. Like you said, there are service intervals that need to be met, tires are a frequent and expensive proposition plus you've got the obvious costs like fuel and insurance too. Honestly, I would budget roughly $3k/yr above and beyond the stated costs to maintain a QP, they are not cheap.

Trident Derek,

Thanks for your insight,and the house was a gift from the parents and they are still alive and well,yes it is their $$$ i am buying this car from..do i deserve it from a financial perspective probably not...do they think i deserve it hell yeah....i want to make sure i know what i am gettign my self into.

You say service intervals..i am assuming like Phase 1,Phase 2...how much do these cost...my first phase 1 on my Nissan cost me 300 bucks...i would assume we are looking at at 3 times that?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Sorry i had to answer to this...me being 30 years old and only having an income of 60K a year scares to me even think that the average Maserati owner makes 500K...i am looking at a 07 QP GT am i over my head?I would be buying it outright...it worries me that i might be going beyond my means.

You are WAY over your head.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Trident Derek,

Thanks for your insight,and the house was a gift from the parents and they are still alive and well,yes it is their $$$ i am buying this car from..do i deserve it from a financial perspective probably not...do they think i deserve it hell yeah....i want to make sure i know what i am gettign my self into.

You say service intervals..i am assuming like Phase 1,Phase 2...how much do these cost...my first phase 1 on my Nissan cost me 300 bucks...i would assume we are looking at at 3 times that?
Tires alone will cost about 4 times that, and need to be changed around every 10k miles.

Gas is about $70+ a tank now.

Services cost $1000+ and go way up from there, the more you need done.

Serpentine is $400

Insurance is about 1500 every 6 months.

Clutch is $3k

F1 pump is also about $3k

And so on, and so forth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tires alone will cost about 4 times that, and need to be changed around every 10k miles.

Gas is about $70+ a tank now.

Services cost $1000+ and go way up from there, the more you need done.

Serpentine is $400

Insurance is about 1500 every 6 months.

Clutch is $3k

F1 pump is also about $3k

And so on, and so forth.

Maserati Boy,

1200 for tires?thats not expensive man.

70 bucks is normal for gas tank to be filled

What kind of service are you referring to ?i dont plan to drive this car to the ground.

Insurance is insurance man...you have to pay for it.

Even on a automatic u have to worry too much for the clutch?I plan to drive maybe 12000 miles a year

1 - 20 of 51 Posts