1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am old enough to remember the DeTomaso takeover of Maserati and the bleak years of crap cars, and viewed the Fiat/Ferrari purchase with some trepidation. Ferrari didn't kill off their old rival, instead used Maserati to build cars outside the norm for Ferrari. Then we got shuffled over to Alfa, then on to Chrysler again. No Alfieri, no new cars at all, just paint, and "exclusive technologies". I for one am tired of CEO's trying to "leverage the brand". That is doublespeak for "how cheaply can we build a car that says Maserati and people still buy it." I think the brothers are spinning in their graves. Sorry, but this really @#%* %@ me off. Ed.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, when I saw the statement “lavish materials and exclusive technologies” , particularly the latter, I ran down to the backyard tool shed looking for the shovel so I can clean up all that B.S. I was reading ...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Gotta get that money out of those sports folks with questionable tastes

·
Registered
188 Posts
I want to be clear, I think Ferrari did us a solid when they took over Maserati. The quality went way up and the excitement was real, look at the sales numbers. But then we got moved and moved again. I put leverage the brand in quotes because one president of Mas. actually said that. They are selling cars on the name vs. on their merit. Makes me sick to see what has become of the original Italian exotic.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then again, with all the convoluted automobile industry mergers and acquisitions , who knows any more what will happen to the quality and prestige of any given brands anymore ?

Brand vs Parent Company. ( this was as of the end of last year ..who knows what else may have happened since ..)

Alfa Romeo: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Audi: Volkswagen Group
Bentley: Volkswagen Group
Infiniti: Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi
Jaguar: Tata Motors
Land Rover: Tata Motors
Lotus: Zhejiang Geely Holding Group
Maserati: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Porsche: Volkswagen Group.
Rolls-Royce: BMW Group

·
Registered
822 Posts
I want to be clear, I think Ferrari did us a solid when they took over Maserati. The quality went way up and the excitement was real, look at the sales numbers. But then we got moved and moved again. I put leverage the brand in quotes because one president of Mas. actually said that. They are selling cars on the name vs. on their merit. Makes me sick to see what has become of the original Italian exotic.
If simulating Jaguar is their target, they haven't done so well. Jaguar is their aspiration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts