Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I currently own a 2013 Maserati Granturismo here in the United States but have accepted a job over in the Birmingham area and was curious if anyone has any experience importing a car into the UK?

From the very limited reading on Google I have discovered a few key things.
1) I have to have the title in hand
2) I do not have to pay any taxes / VAT on the car if I can prove I lived in the US and am relocating permanent residence to the UK
3) There are a few normal import taxes and fees etc
4) Must have UK insurance and registration before I can legally drive it once it is in the UK.

If any of the above is false I would love to be corrected and if I am leaving out any important info please let me know!

Question: Any issue with the car being USA spec and left hand drive?

Many thanks,
Cole

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello all!

I currently own a 2013 Maserati Granturismo here in the United States but have accepted a job over in the Birmingham area and was curious if anyone has any experience importing a car into the UK?

From the very limited reading on Google I have discovered a few key things.
1) I have to have the title in hand
2) I do not have to pay any taxes / VAT on the car if I can prove I lived in the US and am relocating permanent residence to the UK
3) There are a few normal import taxes and fees etc
4) Must have UK insurance and registration before I can legally drive it once it is in the UK.

If any of the above is false I would love to be corrected and if I am leaving out any important info please let me know!

Question: Any issue with the car being USA spec and left hand drive?

Many thanks,
Cole
usual steps you've probably found on the internet:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

if you've followed it through (ie click on pay VAT & Duty, then click through as being from outside the EU), to make sure you don't pay import duty or VAT, fill in this from:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-transfer-of-residence-tor-relief-tor01

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
usual steps you've probably found on the internet:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

if you've followed it through (ie click on pay VAT & Duty, then click through as being from outside the EU), to make sure you don't pay import duty or VAT, fill in this from:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-transfer-of-residence-tor-relief-tor01

Yea from what I gather I do not have to pay any import VAT if I can show documentation when I bought the car it was intended to be driven in America and I was a full time resident here in the states.

My main issue is once I get the car to the UK is there any legislation around getting it registered with it being a US spec? EX] Left hand drive and maybe any emission tests that are different?

Thanks,
Cole

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yea from what I gather I do not have to pay any import VAT if I can show documentation when I bought the car it was intended to be driven in America and I was a full time resident here in the states.

My main issue is once I get the car to the UK is there any legislation around getting it registered with it being a US spec? EX] Left hand drive and maybe any emission tests that are different?

Thanks,
Cole
I believe that emissions are the same, you will require a rear fog light if the US spec cars do not have one. The speedo is already MPH so no issues there. Have you factored in the costs involved?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe that emissions are the same, you will require a rear fog light if the US spec cars do not have one. The speedo is already MPH so no issues there. Have you factored in the costs involved?

I have found the cost to ship the car to be around $2,000USD. Still reading into what all I will have to do in order to make it road legal and registered once in Birmingham. If the costs get to the $5,000USD point I will probably short sale it here in the states and buy a 2015 Ghibli for the 2-3 years I am living in England.

Thanks,
Cole

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts