Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to import a 2007 Quattroporte from Arizona to Alberta.

The US dealer(a used car dealer, not a masi dealer), says he can get the recall letter for me and have the speedo & odo changed to metric at the local masi dealer. He says I don't have to change the analog display, just the digital speedo & odo.

Does this sound correct?

Anyone else have recent import experience. Is it a hassle or is it manageable?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
628 Posts

The US dealer(a used car dealer, not a masi dealer), says he can get the recall letter for me and have the speedo & odo changed to metric at the local masi dealer. He says I don't have to change the analog display, just the digital speedo & odo.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks for your help.

Mike
You had better contact the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles). The dealer will say what he needs to sell you the car. RIV needs a letter direct from MNA, and not some dealer in Arizona. MNA will not give out the letter until certain export requirements are met. The recall letter and changes to the car can run up to 10-15K.

You may hear different from other people, but contact Registrar of Imported Vehicles and talk to someone on the phone just to be sure that it's all okay. I'm not sure if MNA will hand over a recall letter to some used car dealer, particularly without the instr cluster swap ($$$$).

I don't know what the dealer is trying to pull, but for the digital readout, you don;t need to "change" anything. It can be set to read either km/hr or mph. However, for the recall letter, MNA may insist that the instrument cluster be changed to metric (what you're calling the analogue part), and that is where
the cost of 10K+ can come in.

Don't forget to add the 6.1% duty as well when you negotiate for the price.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

I emailed the RIV and they were less than helpful. Their website says the speedo needs to be changed,but they don't specify analog, digital or both. I called them and they sounded clueless. They seem to depend on the recall letter from MNA and the inspecting mechanic in Canada signing off the paperwork.

I would hate to get the car into Canada only to find out the goal posts have been moved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the record, here is what the dealer says:

*That's absolutely no problem. We are just around the corner from
Maserati/Ferrari service and are very familiar with this process. I actually
am sending a 612 Scaglietti to Alberta right now and we're going through the
same process on that car as well. The recall letter is very easy to obtain,
and switching the daytime running lights / kilometer usually runs just about
$700 but I can get you an exact quote for the Maserati today. Switching
display from imperial to metric is easy as well and I believe that can be
done free of charge.

·
Registered
628 Posts
For the record, here is what the dealer says:

*That's absolutely no problem. We are just around the corner from
Maserati/Ferrari service and are very familiar with this process. I actually
am sending a 612 Scaglietti to Alberta right now and we're going through the
same process on that car as well. The recall letter is very easy to obtain,
and switching the daytime running lights / kilometer usually runs just about
$700 but I can get you an exact quote for the Maserati today. Switching
display from imperial to metric is easy as well and I believe that can be
done free of charge.
Okay, they're fine in that the display from imperial to metric is easy - it better be free since you don't actually have to do anything but press some buttons.

The recall letter may be the sticking point. The letter must come directly from MNA. My understanding is that it won't be issued unless the analogue cluster is changed to metric and daytime running lights are "added" as well. You dealer is right that an authorized Maserati dealer must to do the work.

Look, if the dealer has done this before, and it's going to cost you NOTHING for the recall letter (odd, I can't see why MNA would give him the letter for free if he is not an authorized dealer) and all you have to drop is circa 700 bucks for Canadian compliance, then go for it.

However, when you get to the border, you are on your own, and if your car/papers are not in order, it's not getting into Canada. Getting a Canadian mechanic to sign off is easy - just go to Canadian Tire and have one of them do it. They will be too scared to touch the car and likely just sign off anyway.

Good luck. You may want to look for cars in Canada BTW. You have to add 6.1% duty to your purchase, and you have better hope that the dealer where you service the car doesn't change his tune when he finds out that you're importing used American cars into the Canadian marketplace (thereby depressing the dealers car value as well). You may find yourself on the wrong end of a waiting list to get things done on the car.

I would also contact Ferrari Maserati of Calgary and let them know what you intend to do, so that you can get a feeling (service manager is a good person to talk to) about if they are going to take care of you (of course they will, but the question is how nicely - delays, slotting you in early, etc)

Keep us posted on your experience, and take notes so that you can help out others in the forum with your knowledge too!

·
Registered
799 Posts
After you have paid for the car in the US put aside about 18% to get that car fully licensed and legit in Canada.

6.1+PST+GST+air condition tax+brokerage fees+misc fees+car registration fees+RIV fee+I am Canadian fees= 18%

I don't know if RIV rules have changed from a year ago but I used the definition as per their site.

Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation
RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:

1. A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office.
The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.

- expensive!!!!!!! up to $3500
- does not include cost if instrument cluster change is needed

2. A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.
This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

- an authorized Maserati dealer can provide a typed up letter stating that the vehicle with VIN has no open recalls and it needs the dealerships Company Letterhead and signed authority

3. Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) web site.
Some manufacturers post their recall information on their public web sites specific to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This recall information will be accepted subject to verification by RIV.

- all Maserati dealerships "should" have access to this called - Modis Communication System - Service Entry Alert
https://modiscs.maserati.it
All you need is a screen print out showing VIN number and no open recalls.

Number #1 will cost you ~ $3500 today

Number #2 will cost you depending on the Dealer of the area ... free to $500

Number #3 will cost you depending on the Dealer of the area ... free to $500

I got #2 and also #3.

Daytime running light will cost ~ $700 for the module and $2000 for the work from the dealership if done properly on the canada side. Module limits the output of the lights for daytime running capabilities.
A Ferrari/Maserati garage/shop (non dealership) can enable this for 200-500 by having lights always on. This would pass as daytime running light as some vehicles use this method. It passes Canadian Tire inspection. After the inspection it can be reverted back which I did.

The Coupe has both Miles and Km in the dash so no change needed to instrument cluster. I am unsure with the QP.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't know if RIV rules have changed from a year ago but I used the definition as per their site.

Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation
RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:

1. A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office.
The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.

- expensive!!!!!!! up to $3500
- does not include cost if instrument cluster change is needed

2. A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.
This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

- an authorized Maserati dealer can provide a typed up letter stating that the vehicle with VIN has no open recalls and it needs the dealerships Company Letterhead and signed authority

3. Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) web site.
Some manufacturers post their recall information on their public web sites specific to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This recall information will be accepted subject to verification by RIV.

- all Maserati dealerships "should" have access to this called - Modis Communication System - Service Entry Alert
https://modiscs.maserati.it
All you need is a screen print out showing VIN number and no open recalls.

Number #1 will cost you ~ $3500 today

Number #2 will cost you depending on the Dealer of the area ... free to $500

Number #3 will cost you depending on the Dealer of the area ... free to $500

I got #2 and also #3.

Daytime running light will cost ~ $700 for the module and $2000 for the work from the dealership if done properly on the canada side. Module limits the output of the lights for daytime running capabilities.
A Ferrari/Maserati garage/shop (non dealership) can enable this for 200-500 by having lights always on. This would pass as daytime running light as some vehicles use this method. It passes Canadian Tire inspection. After the inspection it can be reverted back which I did.

The Coupe has both Miles and Km in the dash so no change needed to instrument cluster. I am unsure with the QP.
Rules may have changed. My understanding was that for Maserati (and specifically for Maserati) only option 1 was available. That was dictated by MNA. I did notice that this seems to have been removed from RIV. In other words, in "additonal notes" there used to be a comment about the letter and that it had to come directly from MNA, period. It's not there anymore, so maybe option 2 and 3 work, which is nice.

For the QP, it's ONLY miles, so instr cluster needs to be changed to the tune of 7-10K. This is what I found out. Depending on who you talk to at RIV, you get different answers. Didn't know the coupe had miles and kms on the analogue gauge.

·
Registered
799 Posts
2 & 3 are still there.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Recall Clearance

These are the rules though

MASERATI

So my suggestion is try to get 2 or 3 before you pay as you mentioned. You can ask dealer to make a Bill of Sale with token deposit $150 (obviously it will still have a balance as it is not paid)

Fax the #2 or #3 letter, Bill of Sale, Your VIN #, Your address to RIV. They will inspect the info you provided and either say no or send you Form #2. You can do this even before the car leaves the lot and before payment is in full.
I did this and I had my RIV Form #2 sent via email before I wired the money and flew into the US to pick up the car.

I had the RIV approval and form before I jumped on the plane.

One thing to note is that all modifications was done by a local indy shop that services Maserati and not Maserati dealer. After the mods were done I took it to Canadian Tire which took a whole 15mins to inspect and finished Form#2. Right after I was at the Provincial office and it was registered and good to go.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just imported my '06 QP in Dec '10. The series of events went as follows:

1. Faxed copy of title to US customs at my border crossing. Copy of title must be there 72 hrs in advance of the cars arrival.

2. Upon arrival at customs, you must stop at the US side to have title verified and stamped.

3. After stamped head to Canadian customs. When there car is declared and you must go in for paperwork. All that is needed at Canadian customs to enter Canada with the car is original title and bill of sale. THAT IS ALL.

4. After paying GST, air conditioning tax, and duty they will give you the RIV form 1.

5. Once you arrive home you will log onto RIV.ca and make a payment to them, entering the info off of form 1. You will also submit your recall clearance letter.
- Now in my case they automatically sent me Form 2 without even requesting a recall clearance letter so at this point anything to do with MNA is not necessary.
- I had planned to submit a copy of my carfax report on the car. I was told that this would suffice as it does state in the last line, that as of the date of your carfax, there are no open recalls on the car.
- A vehicle summary report from any maserati dealer would work as well (the easy work around for any BMW which requires the same BS as MNA does).

6. As for DRL's it is very simple to wire up the foglights to come on with the key. Simply find the fuse box under the hood (passenger side near firewall) and take the relay that is related to the fog lights. Simply remove the relay and bend the ground tab (foglights are triggered by ground on this car) and run a wire from that lead to ground somewhere on the car. Now you have DRL's in the form of the foglights always on with the key. And no, there is no faults that show up on the dash or anything else. Drove the car for a week like this with no issues whatsoever.

7. Set digital display to show KM/h and drive down to Canadian Tire with your Form 1 and 2. Should be in and out of there within 10 mins.

This is the exact process my car underwent to become a Canadian car without any issues.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I just imported my '06 QP in Dec '10. The series of events went as follows:

1. Faxed copy of title to US customs at my border crossing. Copy of title must be there 72 hrs in advance of the cars arrival.

2. Upon arrival at customs, you must stop at the US side to have title verified and stamped.

3. After stamped head to Canadian customs. When there car is declared and you must go in for paperwork. All that is needed at Canadian customs to enter Canada with the car is original title and bill of sale. THAT IS ALL.

4. After paying GST, air conditioning tax, and duty they will give you the RIV form 1.

5. Once you arrive home you will log onto RIV.ca and make a payment to them, entering the info off of form 1. You will also submit your recall clearance letter.
- Now in my case they automatically sent me Form 2 without even requesting a recall clearance letter so at this point anything to do with MNA is not necessary.
- I had planned to submit a copy of my carfax report on the car. I was told that this would suffice as it does state in the last line, that as of the date of your carfax, there are no open recalls on the car.
- A vehicle summary report from any maserati dealer would work as well (the easy work around for any BMW which requires the same BS as MNA does).

6. As for DRL's it is very simple to wire up the foglights to come on with the key. Simply find the fuse box under the hood (passenger side near firewall) and take the relay that is related to the fog lights. Simply remove the relay and bend the ground tab (foglights are triggered by ground on this car) and run a wire from that lead to ground somewhere on the car. Now you have DRL's in the form of the foglights always on with the key. And no, there is no faults that show up on the dash or anything else. Drove the car for a week like this with no issues whatsoever.

7. Set digital display to show KM/h and drive down to Canadian Tire with your Form 1 and 2. Should be in and out of there within 10 mins.

This is the exact process my car underwent to become a Canadian car without any issues.
Awesome information. As I stated earlier, depending on who you are dealing with at RIV, your experience may be different. For you at least, it seems like it was a pretty easy transaction. I'm not surprised you were able to get away with the digital spedo readout. MNA would like your cluster swapped out to the tune of 10-15K. lol.

On a personal note, I do think it's important to try to source your used Maserati from Canada first. If we all go out and bring in USA cars, we depress the resale value of Canadian cars too (which are more expensive new than in the USA) and that hurts not only the dealer, but also Canadian customers that have bought new Canadian cars. After
all, there is no used Maserati market unless someone buys one new first..........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Importing from USA, Cars

I Think that there is more to it than that, 1, daytime lights needed,
2, Childlock in rear seats,
Duty of 11 % and then a samll fartune and runj around to have it certified by Maserati Canada,
That is waht zI have learnt It may not be correct .
I suggest that you dig a bit more .
Let me kno w hat u faind,
as I too am new at this,
And I wanted to import a Quattroporte 2007 but shied away,
lexuspcl8811

Does this sound correct?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also wanted to import a car from USA,
I was told we had to get afew modifications done which was not too bad,
But then we had to pay duty 11 % here in Can and woow about $ 20,000,
to get it certified by Maserati canada.
So I advise u to be acutious and let me know wht au find,
Lexuspcl8811,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts