Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members.

Can someone tell me if their is any roadblocks for me to do this?

I called my local Maserati dealership and he stated they need to get the Dash Cluster changed and the Day time running lights changed in the US before it could be imported?And he said this would cost 10K.

Can someone who has either imported a Maserati to Canada or who knows this let me know ?

I am looking to import a 2007 Quattroporte GT

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
<HUMOR>

Just don't get anything prior to 2004. No cupholders to carry a Molson.

</HUMOR>

Seems pricey, doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
The mods seem awfully expensive. The running lights mod should simply be a switch change, I'd think (I run my US-spec car with the lights on all the time, anyway, so it would seem that wiring the car with the light selector switch in the "always on" mode would be acceptable, since separate controls will ensure that you don't run the battery down when the light switch is on but the key is in the "off" position).

Regarding the instruments, is it required that the speedo show in *primarily* metric units or is it OK to have both? My US speedo shows both. I suspect that's probably the most expensive change (new instrument cluster, removing the dash, etc.).

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer is full of crap

It's in the dealer's interest to discourage you to import - they would prefer you spend $20k more and buy a Canadian model off of them.

Most likely, the only mod you will have to do is get daytime running lights activated (which is the case for a 2002 Coupe), which Canadian Tire could do for you. Phone the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (the private company contracted by the Government to process US-Canada vehicle imports) to find out for sure. The website is www.riv.ca.

One thing you should find out is whether or not the warranty is transferable from the US to Canada, as many vehicle manufacturers do not allow this. You will have to contact Maserati of America to determine this.

I've previously imported a Ducati 916 and a Honda S2000 from the US so if you have any other questions about this process, PM me.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've sold a few cars to Canada, and here is a big money saving trick.

Rather than swapping out the computer normally required to add daytime running lights, which can run $6k - 10k by the time you're done, we found a really cheap way around this: superglue.

You can remove the switch assembly, and glue it in the on position. The lights still shut off with the ignition, and with the switch disabled, it passes border inspection. If you don't mind the mod, it works fine. (I've sold three cars across the border like this - two Coupes and a QP)

I have some contacts for agents that will assist in getting paperwork together, and I believe there are different taxes depending on which province you cross into from the US. Some trucking companies will ship all the way to your port, some will take it to a negotiated city in the US for you to take across the border.

Let me know if you need any more info, and I can dig through my old e-mails to get all of the contacts you may need.

- Mark

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I've sold a few cars to Canada, and here is a big money saving trick.

Rather than swapping out the computer normally required to add daytime running lights, which can run $6k - 10k by the time you're done, we found a really cheap way around this: superglue.

You can remove the switch assembly, and glue it in the on position. The lights still shut off with the ignition, and with the switch disabled, it passes border inspection. If you don't mind the mod, it works fine. (I've sold three cars across the border like this - two Coupes and a QP)

I have some contacts for agents that will assist in getting paperwork together, and I believe there are different taxes depending on which province you cross into from the US. Some trucking companies will ship all the way to your port, some will take it to a negotiated city in the US for you to take across the border.

Let me know if you need any more info, and I can dig through my old e-mails to get all of the contacts you may need.

- Mark
That's pretty much what I suggested for the running lights thing. What's the scoop with the speedo? As long as it has both KPH and MPH, is it OK?

·
Registered
909 Posts
As far as I know you are OK with the speedo - and the digital speed repitition can be set to KPH.

I honestly don't know about the warranty. The cars that I sold across were either out (or nearly out) of warranty, and in one case the gentleman lived *just* over the border, and was about two hours from a US dealer. I'll talk to my guys and see what they know about the warranties, and if there is any difference between new and used. (we've only sold used cars across the border)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hello forum members.

Can someone tell me if their is any roadblocks for me to do this?

I called my local Maserati dealership and he stated they need to get the Dash Cluster changed and the Day time running lights changed in the US before it could be imported?And he said this would cost 10K.

Can someone who has either imported a Maserati to Canada or who knows this let me know ?

I am looking to import a 2007 Quattroporte GT
i bought one at the local dealership and i imported one.
yes importing is not difficult.
for the QP, you can get by with just the digital kph readout.
as for the daytime running light, you can do either - at the dealer, or let the kids at Crappy Tires mess with it. your call.

Warranty is honored here.

Where abouts are you located?

Having said that, please consult your local service manager before importing a maserati. You really need them to be on your side. Afterall, they are the person who will look after your QP.

I do encourage you to support your local dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i bought one at the local dealership and i imported one.
yes importing is not difficult.
for the QP, you can get by with just the digital kph readout.
as for the daytime running light, you can do either - at the dealer, or let the kids at Crappy Tires mess with it. your call.

Warranty is honored here.

Where abouts are you located?

Having said that, please consult your local service manager before importing a maserati. You really need them to be on your side. Afterall, they are the person who will look after your QP.

I do encourage you to support your local dealer.

Hello M,

I am in Vancouver BC,are you in Canada?

I recently called my local Maserati dealer and he was helpful but the tone of his voice he was trying to convince me not to buy it from the US.

If import the car am I able to take it to a US dealer to get the service and warrany work done?

I live right across the border.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Manny,

I just imported a QP from the US so here is my take.

The US price is generally about $25K - $30K less than it is in Canada (dollar at par) so it is worth the effort. Most of the used US cars have lower mileage as well.

The first trick is the recall clearance certificate. RIV states that the certificate must come from Maserati USA. They want $1600 US for the certificate AND you must have the instrumentation panel changed and daytime running lights installed by a US Maserati dealer before they will issue the certificate. Good luck finding a US dealer that carries a panel in KM for starters and then kiss goodbye to $10K for the work.

I complained to RIV about this and they let me use a letter and computer print out from the US dealership. $10K saved on that. Make sure you document your discussion with RIV however.

The speedometer is hit and miss. The QP speedometer is only in miles but the electronic display shows both. Be nice to your Canadian Tire minimum wage dude in order to get him to sign off on this. Rules say that electronic display is ok, but the display is actually pretty small so it is a judgement call.

Canadian Tire will do the daytime running lights for about $200 which is $800 less than the Vancouver Maserati dealership. You can also glue the switch closed as suggested or buy the kit Canadian Tire uses for $29 and do the work yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
paradon, did you buy your car before or after you worked out the letter with RIV? Did you find them friendly or difficult on the issue?

I'm looking at the 02/03 coupes and their speedos are dual-analog which out to be an instant pass. When I last imported a car (1999) the inspector just put a little sticker beside the odo saying "miles"

I'm also in vancouver and I would support the dealer, but not to the tune of paying $30k extra on the inital purchase.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i would spend a little more money and get a 04/05/06 instead of 02/03 if you are going thru the efforts of importation, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
simply because later models had slight engineering improvements? Reading these forums I gather the impression that earlier models had transmission issues that were worked on through the years.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
simply because later models had slight engineering improvements? Reading these forums I gather the impression that earlier models had transmission issues that were worked on through the years.
it is not simply because there were bugs worked out. you got warranty on the newer cars.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Grant,

Further to my earlier comments, the import requirements for Canada have again changed. The only assured way of having your recall letter accepted is to have the letter provided to the RIV directly by Maserati North America. This applies to both new and used Maseratis

Manny indicated that the costs of modifications to your vehicle can $10K. The letter is $1,590 US. You will need to make sure that you have this sorted out before you import your car so that you can determine whether it is worth the effort or not.

Too bad for US sellers as Canadians had probably driven up the prices of used cars by about 10-15% with the favorable exchange rate!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Too bad for US sellers as Canadians had probably driven up the prices of used cars by about 10-15% with the favorable exchange rate!
wouldn't the sellers be happier their cars are worth more now?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts