Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a new GS Spyder and have started the modification process. The first thing I did was an ignition coil modification performed by Ulf Arens at Ignition Solutions. I did this first to help possibly head off any oxygen sensor/ cat issues I have heard rumor of due to unburned fuel and overly rich conditions in the exhaust. Whether it will help -who knows. As we all know there is a lot of "snake oil" out there. I have attached a link on a prior dyno test on a BMW. I have not verified my results on the Mazz as yet,as I don't really want to go through the hassle of going over to the dyno every time I perform a mod. I do own a BMW 4.6is with all of the Dinan mods (except supercharger). My results on this were approximately 6.5 hp. I can tell you that the Mazz definitely has better throttle response and seems to pull a little stronger in the upper rpm range. Ulf is in Hamburg Germany now. I used paypal and everything was returned to me within a week. You can do a search by either his company or name and come up with a fair amount of information. If anyone has questions let me know. Next up is exhaust, Eurotek and a BMC. Scott

http://www.eurotuner.com/howto/99818/
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plasma booster

I would assume so, but I don't believe it would work on a car with coil on plug ignition like the Maserati. Our cars require modification to the existing coil pack. The company operates out of Germany now, but as far as I know still offers all of their products. Your best bet is to email Ulf at the address I gave above. Some times it takes several days or a few attempts to get a response from over there. Let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Plasma must connect to the negative terminal of each coil. "Dumb" coils connect either to an external ignition module, or an ignition transistor (igniter), located inside the ECU.

For example, Ford uses coils with a two pin connector. Coil plus to 12v, and coil minus to the ECU. The igniter is inside the ECU.

BMW uses "dumb" coils with a three pin connector. Coil plus to 12v, coil minus to igniter (inside ECU), and the third terminal is ground.

Some coil on plug ignitions use coils with a built in igniter, termed "smart coils", so the coil negative is not available. These type of coils usually have a three or four pin connector.

Nissan uses a coil with internal igniter and a three pin connector. One pin to 12v, one pin to ground, the third is a 5v logic signal that controls timing and dwell. Note that the coil negative is connected internally to the igniter, so there is no need for it to be brought out to the connector.

GM uses a Hitachi coil with internal igniter and a four pin connector. Two pins are ground, one is 12v, and the last is a 5v logic pulse that controls dwell and timing.

What type of coils does the Maseratti have?

If smart coils, does IgnitionSolutions modify the coils, to make the coil negative terminal accessible to the Plasma?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ignition coils

The coils on a Maserati are made by Bosch and are very similar in design to those on a Porsche. They do not seperate from the wiring harness. Instead each bank of 4 comes wired together. They each connect to a junction at the front corners of the car and are numbered. The ecu is located inside the passenger side of the car up under the dash. I would presume that from the junction block the coil wires run here. Possibly the plasma booster could be wired in at this juncture, but this is something I know nothing about. Ulf modified the coils on my BMW V8 about 4 years with good results. I approached him about the Maz coils and asked if he could perform the same modification. As far as the exact mods to each coil - I couldn't tell you other than some form of capacitor. My BMW coils came back with a small green diode that flashes everytime the coils fire -(sort of an indicator that everything is working). I stressed to Ulf this time that I wanted no stickers, lights etc., as I wanted them to appear as stock as possible. As you may know, the Italians can be pretty picky about warranty issues and I didn't want to push my luck being that my car is only a few months old. I have a photo album of just the coils before and after on "Kodak". If you'd like, send me an address and I'll forward it to you. SB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts