Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

While my car is away at the dealers I've been thinking how to get mp3's working using my standard gransport equipment. I read in the manual it can take an MMC card & possibly read them off CD also.

Can anyone give me specific details of how they've got it working? I tried the MMC card but couldn't get it to recognise it - it could be the card, or the bit rate, or the file formatting etc.. the manual, as ever, isn't much help.

Cheers!

·
Registered
262 Posts
First of all, credit goes to DeaneG for his initial post here http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683&highlight=card.

1. Use a 2 GB card maximum

2. Format as FAT (not FAT 32)

3. Use DOS 8.3 format for file names

4. I have found that you need to create directories at the root level--title them something like "Disc 1" "Disc 2" etc., and place your files in these. I limited myself to 6 of these directories to coincide with the number of CDs the changer would use (don't really know if it makes a difference though).

5. No more than 99 files per directory.

6. I experimented with several different configurations, and found that it wouldn't work if I created any subdirectories within my main ones (i.e., for artist, etc.). I would just put your files within the previously created directories.

7. Don't put files at the root level of the card, that won't work either.

8. If you include track name, etc. within the TAG info of your .mp3 file it will show up on the display once the file is read into the system and starts to play.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers brumma I'll have a play when the car comes back from the dealers.. I was putting files in the root :-/

·
Registered
262 Posts
No problem. Even if you do everything correctly, be prepared for the system to reboot at random times anyway--usually during your favorite song. It's just "normal."

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sd?

Hey Brumma, any idea if an SD card will work?

·
Registered
722 Posts
An SD card won't fit, they are too thick to fit in the slot among other things. You have to find an MMC or MMC Mobile card with adapter. I bought a 2GB MMC Mobile online for about $20.

·
Registered
262 Posts
An SD card won't fit, they are too thick to fit in the slot among other things. You have to find an MMC or MMC Mobile card with adapter. I bought a 2GB MMC Mobile online for about $20.
Thanks for answering, Deane--I'd never compared the two types of cards side-by-side, and haven't used an SD in a while.

·
Registered
722 Posts
No prob, I tried an SD myself and failed, then a 4GB MMC and failed, then a 2GB MMC. Others might as well learn from my experience.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I find the SD cards work fine in my 07 GS (Becker 7800 Online Pro).

·
Registered
4 Posts
SD Cards / iPods etc

Hi

I have a GS and been trawling through these threads - can someone post a link to the type of card I need to buy - I'm confused.....

also I have a mac - so how do I format the card (no idea what all this FAT business is about), I know how to convert iTunes songs to MP3... but thats about it - do I just drag and drop songs to the card??

also has anyone used a dension icelink - did you do install yourself, was it straight forward...?

cheers

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I got a "Transcend 2GB MMC card" which works out-of-the-box and does not require a format since its already formatted with the FAT file system. Just open the box, copy your mp3s in it and plug it in the car.

1) The gold contacts go "down", the sticker of the card should be "up" when you stick the card in the unit.

2) Don't rely on the file names for the song name, instead write the ID3 tags and the name of the song will appear on the LCD display, no problem!

3) Don't use more than 2GB, don't use anything other than an MMC card.

4) The card is better than a CD with mp3s because it doesn't skip and you can still use the drive on the unit for the navigation CD.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
How many songs can you fit in a 2GB card?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
i can't say for sure...

on average, high quality albums (320 bit rate, 44khz, CD quality) can be 150MB, if you do the math that means you can fit about 13 albums.

if they are encoded in lower bit rate or variable bit rate (VBR) then you can fit a lot more, like 20-25 albums.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
13 CD's is plenty. Thank you!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Only GS?

Is an MMC card only working on GS's?
I have an "02 MCC american version but no memory card insert for it.
Any ideas?
Thanks you.
h.h.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I'm excited about this since I just got an iPhone and am discovering the joys of digital music. Now I want to get an MMC w/USB adapter (otherwise how do you download?) to try this out. Can anyone comment on the difference in sound quality between a regular CD and an MP3 on our systems?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts