Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a little out of the box. But I figured out that a single DIN head unit fits perfectly in the rear storage area of the passenger compartment. This is a Sony, but any single DIN will work. It is mounted in a GM truck kit. The display can be easily seen in the rearview mirror. I know, it's backwards, but big deal.

I have a wired and wireless remote for it.

I haven't hooked it up yet. I just wanted to see if it fits, and it does nicely. The door still closes.

My plan is to tie in the speakers from the center console and I think the antenna is there too. I will put an amp in the trunk and of course upgrade the speakers.

The factory head unit will remain untouched. I'll just leave the audio off, I guess i'll just leave the trip computer display on. HVAC icons will still work.

I can add Ipod, Bluetooth, XM, new CD Changer (one that changes the disc in less than a minute) and anything else except NAV. I don't think NAV would work as it is only a single DIN. I think seeing the NAV screen backwards would be bad.

I'll just use the NUVI when I need it.

What do you think?

Dan

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks cool. It might be a good solution depending on the problem you are trying to solve. What makes you unhappy with the current audio system?
The current system lacks integration possibilities for Ipod, XM, Sirius, BT, etc. There has been lots of threads on this and I just wanted to share my solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any updates on this?

Hi,

Still looking for a good solution to this problem. This looks the easiest, through slightly unusual. Have you had a chance to hook things up? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

hgh

2003 Spyder GT

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not done this yet

The problem is the power top. I can't figure out how to shut it off mid way so I can do the wiring from the trunk to the front.

When I changed the rear speakers the top was the biggest problem. I used this thread as a guide:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3758&referrerid=1818

but when I did it the panel that is open kept closing. Then, I had a heck of a time getting the top to work again when I was done.

Does anybody know a good way to run wires from the trunk to the front?

-Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts