Maserati Forum banner

41 - 61 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Ameer. It does have a USB connection but not for music (I know very lame) - no USB in the back.

I do highly recommend though the NaviPlus upgrade. This allows you to use Android Auto/Apple CarPlay without disturbing the original system (which has a lot of stuff that is linked to the car) - it is an overlay.

No USB in the back.

Finally, may I recommend the 2013s (They have slightly more power) and are probably the 'best' of the breed.
Thanks! Does this upgrade allow playing music off of a USB stick?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks! Does this upgrade allow playing music off of a USB stick?
Hi Ameer,

yes! USB Key with MP3s will work, also an IPod will work as well. I don't think an iPhone will work stock, and i know my Android didn't work.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wish Maserati of North America would do something for us loyal owners regarding the obviously defective plastic coatings. A good brand would have recalled and repaired this problem.
I completely agree @neptuno239 unfortunately, it will never happen, the reason for the sticky plastics is Ferrari contracted with a company that applied to coat to all their cars and Maserati (during the time it was 100% owned by Ferrari, which itself was owned by Fiat)

The problem you see in the QPs is in both my Ferrari and all my friend's Ferrari. They would have to redo those as well. Just not going to happen considering the costs involved.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I hear ya about the crappy coating! I've been slowly removing the coating from the center console pieces, revealing the black plasic underneath....looks okay. I'm careful not to mess with the buttons and other items that are white plastic under the coating. One of our members wiped mineral oil on some of the coated items and reported that the results were "decent". Like many I cannot yet justify the cost to professionally re-coat the items. I also have the saggy sun visor issue, but I'm working on an idea to fix that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hear ya about the crappy coating! I've been slowly removing the coating from the center console pieces, revealing the black plasic underneath....looks okay. I'm careful not to mess with the buttons and other items that are white plastic under the coating. One of our members wiped mineral oil on some of the coated items and reported that the results were "decent". Like many I cannot yet justify the cost to professionally re-coat the items. I also have the saggy sun visor issue, but I'm working on an idea to fix that.
I've tried the baby wipes, goof-off, and simple green, none worked as well as patience, 100% alcohol, amazon basics cotton rags, and elbow grease.

As described, it will remove this greenish coating that reveals a rough (but acceptable to me) matte black finish underneath. The surface coat is what gives the plastic buttons that 'soft' silky, satiny feel that is all well and good if it lasted, turns to diarrhea after enough hot summers. It literally will rub off, and you'll have small gobs of green boogers.

This happens even on the LaFerrari - Sad but true!

I've finished the center console, have not worked on the rear or window switch gear. When time allows.

Agreed one should avoid buttons, they will smear off the lettering. The solution to that is expensive, retrofitting, or buying new (which believe it or not often is cheaper than sending to retrofit by quite a bit) - downside is they will melt again eventually.

P.S.
I've read one can also buy clear lacquer and apply that on top of buttons to remedy the sticky, I have yet to try this, but does sound promising. There is a thread somewhere here that descried the process.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Being a part of the Ferrari and Maserati communities for so long, I think it's hilarious how differently the same issues are viewed by the general public on these two marques. Austin's complaints don't really apply in this case, but there are traditional issues with both that are considered general maintenance on a Ferrari and grounds for violent criticism on Maserati (hello Doug Demuro!).

Austin, you can't and shouldn't compare a Lexus with a Maserati. They're just not built for, nor marketed to, the same audience. If you're looking for mass-produced luxury and reliability, then Lexus is the choice. If you want a genuine Italian-bred performance sedan, and willing to put up with the eccentricities of the Ferrari blood line, the Maserati is the choice.

There's a reason why every Lexus dealer is within a mile of Infiniti, but the two highest volume Corvette dealerships (Kerbeck and McCulkin) are over 100 miles away from the nearest Ferrari dealers.

Different cars for different buyers.
If I wanted another Lexus I wouldn't have test drove a Maserati!
I am just stating that if Lexus engineered the car while Maserati did the engine and suspension it would beat anything.
Just imagine a Maserati that is reliable as a Lexus.
I will continue to look for a QP...even looking at Gransports

·
Registered
174 Posts
Paulchua....very interesting idea about the clear lacquer, or maybe anything clear...with maybe a satin finish or semigloss finish.
Yeah, there is a thread somewhere here with a guy that did it with good results. I don't know the longevity, but I figured I would try it and see...

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I wanted another Lexus I wouldn't have test drove a Maserati!
I am just stating that if Lexus engineered the car while Maserati did the engine and suspension it would beat anything.
Just imagine a Maserati that is reliable as a Lexus.
I will continue to look for a QP...even looking at Gransports
Austin, keep in mind the things you described were specific to that particular car. My car has 34K miles, and I don't have a loose turn indicator stalk, broken glove box, cracked plastics. I certainly had some stinky buttons which I've remedied with time.

To me, the most prominent element of the QP5 Maserati is the engine.

My reason for selecting this generation was that the QP5 shares a similar engine to the 360/430/458. Owning 2 Ferrari (V8 and V12), I can say the familial character traits are unmistakable. They are 'toned' down for sure, but that's a good thing for the purposes of this car, that is a 'daily driver.'

That said, these are what they are, part of the reason for the appeal is their limited numbers. Toyota made over 300,000 UZFEs.

Ferrari would never agree to be commoditized to that level, nor would they be able to accomplish if they wanted to in their current state. Not to mention the substantial increase cost it would entail.

Furthermore, this generation was designed by the boutique design firm Pininfarina, which, by nature, goes against the spindle grill corporate identity, among other things.

I still implore you to stick to a reliable Toyota or Honda. Even the Koreans have made amazing strides, Hyundai and Kia I personally hold in high esteem.

The purchase price of these cars is just half the ticket, having the resources for proper maintenance, and stewardship is a must for an enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Very well put Paulchua. You hit all of the things that make these cars "special"....Engine and Heritage, Unique Design, and Maintenance & Stewardship. I have always loved Italian cars, and am willing to tolerate the minor issues - which are vastly overshadowed by the overall experience the car provides. Unfortunately maintenance and stewardship are not taken seriously by many who have the ability to purchase these great cars. It took me about 5 months to get a good QP. During my search I was shocked at the physical condition of many QP's for sale. I really wanted a QP Sport-GTS, and looked at 2 of them (both year 2010) but the condition of the body and paintwork was just shockingly awful. I just cannot understand how an owner could beat the crap out of such a beautiful car...it was shameful.

I drive my wife nuts about keeping my QP-S clean, but I explained that it is my duty to present the car in the best possible condition. Allowing the condition to degrade affects the overall market value, and in general gives people bad perceptions....these cars deserve much better than that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very well put Paulchua. You hit all of the things that make these cars "special"....Engine and Heritage, Unique Design, and Maintenance & Stewardship. I have always loved Italian cars, and am willing to tolerate the minor issues - which are vastly overshadowed by the overall experience the car provides. Unfortunately maintenance and stewardship are not taken seriously by many who have the ability to purchase these great cars. It took me about 5 months to get a good QP. During my search I was shocked at the physical condition of many QP's for sale. I really wanted a QP Sport-GTS, and looked at 2 of them (both year 2010) but the condition of the body and paintwork was just shockingly awful. I just cannot understand how an owner could beat the crap out of such a beautiful car...it was shameful.

I drive my wife nuts about keeping my QP-S clean, but I explained that it is my duty to present the car in the best possible condition. Allowing the condition to degrade affects the overall market value, and in general gives people bad perceptions....these cars deserve much better than that.
@12 cylinders , thank you for your kind note and reading your response, I see we are kindred spirits!

I agree wholeheartedly with you! I, too, am pained when I see a QP in a sorry state.

Many see the massive depreciation but don't realize maintenance costs are inversely proportional to said depreciation.

@Austin Kye , I hope my last post isn't perceived as a play on elitism, I assure you it comes from a place of pragmatism. Since you said you must muster the courage to pull the trigger, I dare say you are unprepared (when not if) that big first repair bill comes in. One must accept the peculiarities of low production exotic (and what both Car and Driver and Motortrend described as a 'four-door Ferrari") first and foremost before buying.

Otherwise, one can quickly devolve into yet one more detractor bemoaning their Maserati is not as reliable as a Toyota. Many would find naive a similar sentiment with Ferrari no?

"Damn, I just wished my F8 was as reliable as my Toyota Corolla" said the child*.

*Less kind folks would choose a different persona.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hey all! I saw another 2009 QP and it was a MUCH better experience. Everything was tighter so I guess I saw a badly kept QP the first time...
Now I am wanting a 4.7 QP or Coupe GT 6MT...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh god, why couldn't the QP be designed by Maserati and built by Lexus.
I've been in love with it for the longest time. Just love the design and V8 sound.
Honestly think it looks waaaaaaaaay better than the current one.
I finally had the time to go to a local used car dealer.
Red car only 40k miles. I turn it on and it sounds awesome.
Now to the driving part...the left stalk for lights were loose and making an annoying chatter while driving and the paddle shifters feel cheap.
The center console plastics were splitting. The glove box was loose.
I left being very disappointed. Just wanted to share...
Are these common problems?
I just bought a 2012 Quattroporte S with a 4.7 L engine. I had to shop around because most were in bad shape, but I found one that is almost flawless. You just have to keep looking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I just bought a 2012 Quattroporte S with a 4.7 L engine. I had to shop around because most were in bad shape, but I found one that is almost flawless. You just have to keep looking.
Actually that's what happened. I saw another 2011 and it was close to immaculate. What did you pay for yours?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Actually that's what happened. I saw another 2011 and it was close to immaculate. What did you pay for yours?
For me 2012 S
Every package/option installed
except rear climate package
28,000 miles
MSRP $145,000
$28,000 - clean title

Owned for 8 months now. Had a bad alternator (Nippon Denso unit, same as Toyota), one bad internal LED light. No other problems. I changed the alternator myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
One of the biggest disservices that Doug Demuro on Youtube did for Maserati was to review a beat up, low-spec (Not even Sport GT S) QP. If you compare his video with the one from Top gear where they compared the QP with Porsche and Aston Martin, you will see he missed every important mark that an enthusiast would care about. Simply because Doug isn't one, he likes "gizmos and gadgets" and unfortunately I think the OP is just like Doug.

Good luck.
Hey, I appreciate the howling, Ferrari derived V8 as much as an Italian.
However, I also like good interior craftsmanship.
Fortunately, I found out that not all QP's are kept the same and it will show nastiness if not.
I also didn't think Doug didn't do the QP justice but hey, it makes the car more affordable.

41 - 61 of 69 Posts