Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh god, why couldn't the QP be designed by Maserati and built by Lexus.
I've been in love with it for the longest time. Just love the design and V8 sound.
Honestly think it looks waaaaaaaaay better than the current one.
I finally had the time to go to a local used car dealer.
Red car only 40k miles. I turn it on and it sounds awesome.
Now to the driving part...the left stalk for lights were loose and making an annoying chatter while driving and the paddle shifters feel cheap.
The center console plastics were splitting. The glove box was loose.
I left being very disappointed. Just wanted to share...
Are these common problems?

·
Super Moderator
4,091 Posts
Never heard of them. Sounds like a neglected example.
I guess the paddles might be cheap feeling, but simple enough to upgrade to CF versions

C

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never heard of them. Sounds like a neglected example.
I guess the paddles might be cheap feeling, but simple enough to upgrade to CF versions

C
really? I guess I'll try another one if I can find one near by.
You did read that it was really low miles right?
Although I do suspect that it was parked outside most of the time judging by the cracked plastics.
Tires were rotting too.
Although it doesn't explain the loose glove box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2006 QP 16k miles, its for sale.
If you want to see how a brand new Mas feels for the price of a camry dont look any further. This car is marvelous!

·
Registered
24 Posts
You test drove an 8 year old car and expected it to be like a brand new 2020 one? then decided to go onto an enthusiast website for the marque on which you have hardly ever posted on, simply to moan about a few easy to fix items on one particular example?

Have you also tried an 8 year old Lexus that has had a similar life to properly compare?

Oh boy you must be bored.

·
Super Moderator
4,091 Posts
really? I guess I'll try another one if I can find one near by.
You did read that it was really low miles right?
Although I do suspect that it was parked outside most of the time judging by the cracked plastics.
Tires were rotting too.
Although it doesn't explain the loose glove box.
Yep. Been into Maseratis and the forums for about 8 years now. Seen literally tens of thousands of posts from QP owners. I cannot recall a single one with those issues....

C

·
Registered
753 Posts
Melted yes. Cracked No. I have the feeling that someone tried to uninstall/insrall parts for some reason with no knowledge.

Interesting. Try to post some pictures next time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You test drove an 8 year old car and expected it to be like a brand new 2020 one? then decided to go onto an enthusiast website for the marque on which you have hardly ever posted on, simply to moan about a few easy to fix items on one particular example?

Have you also tried an 8 year old Lexus that has had a similar life to properly compare?

Oh boy you must be bored.
Hey I didn't mean to hurt your soft feelings. My Lexus beater is older/more than double the mileage but feels newer ie) everything is still tight. Sad but true.
Again, sorry to hurt your feelings bro. I guess I can fix them, they aren't major but how long until it will feel loose again? Maybe I will get the courage to buy one...for the right price

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2012 QP5 GT-S is solid, and like new cosmetically, with over 58,000 miles. Then, again, it has been cared for by me and its prior owners.
thanks for the advice. I will look for another. the center console black piano plastic trim was cracked in many places like ridges

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
thanks for the advice. I will look for another. the center console black piano plastic trim was cracked in many places like ridges
LOL That's not plastic. That's veneer with a gloss laminate finish over aluminum. Leave it in the sun for 8 years and yes, it will crack.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Being a part of the Ferrari and Maserati communities for so long, I think it's hilarious how differently the same issues are viewed by the general public on these two marques. Austin's complaints don't really apply in this case, but there are traditional issues with both that are considered general maintenance on a Ferrari and grounds for violent criticism on Maserati (hello Doug Demuro!).

Austin, you can't and shouldn't compare a Lexus with a Maserati. They're just not built for, nor marketed to, the same audience. If you're looking for mass-produced luxury and reliability, then Lexus is the choice. If you want a genuine Italian-bred performance sedan, and willing to put up with the eccentricities of the Ferrari blood line, the Maserati is the choice.

There's a reason why every Lexus dealer is within a mile of Infiniti, but the two highest volume Corvette dealerships (Kerbeck and McCulkin) are over 100 miles away from the nearest Ferrari dealers.

Different cars for different buyers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey I didn't mean to hurt your soft feelings. My Lexus beater is older/more than double the mileage but feels newer ie) everything is still tight. Sad but true.
Again, sorry to hurt your feelings bro. I guess I can fix them, they aren't major but how long until it will feel loose again? Maybe I will get the courage to buy one...for the right price
I only bought my first Maserati a couple of months ago, so no soft feelings for them here or any rose tinted glasses either. I have owned all sorts of vehicles in the last 35 years.

Trust me, the condition of our one would make the car you looked at more like a Rolls Royce in comparison, but its the mechanicals we are interested in, not the frilly stuff inside the cabin.

It seems you have found the product you like in a Lexus, so best stick with them probably.

·
Registered
518 Posts
This thread really contrasts the differences in....and perceptions of.....very low production "hand built" cars versus "mass production" cars. I like both types of vehicles but for different reasons. I've had 3 Ferraris and 2 Maseratis over the last 15 years or so, and when you want that special "driving occasion" feeling nothing beats a fine Italian machine for the emotional bonding and excitement. Part of the excitement / anxiety is the expectation that something could go wrong at any time, but when the vehicle performs flawlessly as they do almost all of the time, you appreciate these exotics even more. The interior of the QP5 is very "hand-built" in appearance and design, in comparison to the mass production cars where all the components are stamped out, vacuum formed, molded plastic, and robot installed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oh god, why couldn't the QP be designed by Maserati and built by Lexus.
I've been in love with it for the longest time. Just love the design and V8 sound.
Honestly think it looks waaaaaaaaay better than the current one.
I finally had the time to go to a local used car dealer.
Red car only 40k miles. I turn it on and it sounds awesome.
Now to the driving part...the left stalk for lights were loose and making an annoying chatter while driving and the paddle shifters feel cheap.
The center console plastics were splitting. The glove box was loose.
I left being very disappointed. Just wanted to share...
Are these common problems?
hmm.

My left stalk is rock solid. If it is loose, it is because something is broken. I've always felt the opposite about the paddles, it is metal with velvet on back. But if it bugs you, easy to upgrade to say carbon fiber. Center console plastics are very robust, not sure what you mean by splitting? I've taken my center console out for a NaviPlus install, I can say the plastic used is very thick - if it's cracked - I would say the example is abused, same goes with the glove box.
Dare I say the example you experience had a very tired interior?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Austin,

What is sad about the situation? As many have said, the problems you mentioned seem to be intrinsic to your particular example. That said, it appears to me that reliability and robustness are very high on your list in wants. I would recommend if your gut feeling is to fear a low production car with a Ferrari bloodline, that you trust your intuition.

Toyota are excellent machines; no, belay that - not just excellent machines; but unparalleled in terms of reliability. I've owned many and currently own one. However, I do consider the drive in terms of 'emotional appeal' just as important as a utility. Hence I often choose the keys to either of my Ferraris or my Maserati when pragmatism is not of concern.

Now mind you, this is a personal judgment, I have no doubt some drivers feel the same exhilaration I do in my Maser, in their Toyota Celsior/Century. If I may be as bold to suggest you stick and consider said Toyota Celsior/Century for your peace of mind, after all, any purchase decision that requires one to muster courage is not one I would recommend for anyone.

Kind regards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It really depends on how the care was treated from new. I just bought an '07 QP with 17k miles. Did a bunch of research prior, took my time, did not compromise on what I wanted and found a beautiful and well maintained car. The interior is solid with no wear of which to speak. These cars are absolutely gorgeous and if you find a "busted up example" simply pass and keep looking. But I do agree with the an earlier post . . coming on to an enthusiast site and bashing the car simply because you found some beat up car, is most likely not going to garner much support.

Granted Maserati has had some quality issues in recent history and perhaps diluted the brand a bit, but that was a poor poor business decision by a former . . repeat that . . former CEO. The brand will bounce back as far as quality. For now, I'll keep my 07 and enjoy every moment I spend behind the wheel.

Cheers!
Jeff

1 - 20 of 69 Posts