Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my buddy went for a drive and found ourselves at a chevy dealership... We've both been curious about the Vette, since we see so many around. So being the idiotic/steriotypical men that we are, we asked to see a Z06.

I have a love/hate relationship with this car. I love and hate the way it looks. I looked in the interior, and it was actually nice. carbon fiber, nav, bose speakers/sound system the works. Still I hated it because its a chevy, and that is a differnt story, but then the dealer decided he would take it out to let us test drive it. I can go off on a whole book on this.. but instead I will just skip over all the nonsese and say, the damn thing BLEW MY HEAD OFF!!! I've NEVER been in anything this fast and blazing. Its UNREAL!!

It made me LOVE IT and HATE it even more! so now i'm completely broken, becuase I don't know what to think. The chrome wheels shatter me.. but thats an easy fix. The exaust is a bit mute, but that's an easy fix...

So the thought was weather trading the Maser for a Z06 would even remotely make sense?

Here is what I disliked about the Z06:

Chrome wheels
Stearing felt like I was in an old buic!
the fact that its a Chevy
the fact that only subtle differences make it apart from a regular vette
the fact that I see a million of them on the road..

BUT.... BUT.....
What a CAR. I mean if no one has at least test drove, or thought about it, its worth it, honestly to the point of just down right being conflicted between the maser and the z06.

There is only one thing that sets the maser apart, because the z06 is just better all around. That is the sound of the engine... not the exhaust, but the engine! I took the dealer for a test drive in the maser and he was extremely impressed!

When I got home and till even now, I've been left just hanging... I mean the Z06 is a high production car, a dime a dozen, a realtively mild head turner, fantastic price, etc. etc. etc.. its just a better car than the maser in many aspects, but there is still something about it that I can't figure out.

After much thought, I decided that it was similar to the follwoing analogy:

A Maserati is a Super Model who looks stunning in a georgio Armani Dress, Loubitan shoes. You take her to a fancy dinner, enjoy wine and champagne, fly to exotic places in private jets, have everyone's head turn at her beauty.. You take her home and have .... a nice night and perhapse let her meet mom!!!

A Z06 is a Pam Anderson in her prime... A glorified Stripper with the most gorgious body, who will have you on your knees begging for it. She doesn't need anything fancy, its all hardcore, she's thrilling, knows how to move, is in charge and will show you the best night of your life... Probably will never meet mom, but your friends will be damn impressed!

I guess I'm the super model type, with the hint of being turned on by the glorified stripper! In an ideal world you could have both, but if you had to choose...

I'm still sticking to the Maser, but I'll tell you what... After driving the Z06, its hard to just toss aside the pretentiousness of exclusivity etc.. etc...

Ok, enough with the rant. Those who have drove a Z06, or perhpase own one, or are curious looking forward to your thoughts..

:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dude, how can you compare the two? Guess its a matter of taste. Chevy taste bad :) I'd rather get into a used gtr33 skyline or NSX over a vette. KEEP the maserati! Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Having owned a C6 (not a Z06...) and driven a Maserati spyder I favor the Maserati.

However, the 2008+ Z06s should have a better steering rack and a better transmission. Both are supposed to have better feel.

You can get plain wheels on the Z06, chrome or gunmetal grey wheels.

The interior has gotten a lot better. It depends on which one you were in but again 2008 got an expensive (maybe relative) interior option package with lots of nice stitching and leather.

I sort of know what you're saying about the style of the Corvette. It is a bit exaggerated. However it is a much tighter package than the previous car and its looks are somewhat deceiving in terms of size. For instance, supposedly the car is shorter than a 997.

If you do trade in, go to a dealer that specializes in Corvettes, there is no reason to pay anything other than MSRP and you can potentially get big discounts. Also you can take your Z06 to Katech to have some engine work done, they do the LeMans car engines, and add back some exclusivity.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just woke up

and realized it was probably just a bad dream... Will not trade my maser in for the vette!

But yes it was an 08 Z06 that I test drove, and quite honestly its stunning! I know its blasphomous to compare a vette to a maser! But the interior details, the sheer performance just leaves one confused!

I wouldn't even think twice about a regular vette, but I do invite you guys to take a good look at the new Z06, It really is SERIOUS! thats all.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Funny thing but I know EXACTLY what Moose is talking about! I owned a new Viper. The BIG V10 is much more exclusive and powerful than the vette. I added throttle bodies, smooth tubes, roller rockers, K&N and cat-backs, which really cranked up the HP. Nothing could touch me on the street, although EVERYONE tried (including 60 year old men in Town Cars and 16 year olds on crotch rockets (although 5.0 Mustangs were the #1 losers)). To further his analogy, it was more like a sleazy, coke snorting stripper with a killer body who wanted to "do you" every night. It was great at first but it got old really quick. The Maserati IS a beautiful classy lady who likes to get naughty once in a while and ALWAYS leaves me smiling.

Moose, thanks for the thoughtful reminder!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Vette's seem wasteful to me...

The Z06 has a SEVEN LITRE engine, yet only produces 500 hp. Any car manufacture can throw displacement and tires at a car and make it fast. That's how I've always felt about Vettes and Vipers. How is it that the European and now Japanese manufacturers get it done with so much less displacement? Engineering. And that factor somehow appeals to me.

The Vette is the car with the most performance for the money, no doubt about it. And certain Seiko watches do things that the most expensive Patek Philippe cannot. Sometimes, it's about how you get things done, not just being able to do it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Z06 has a SEVEN LITRE engine, yet only produces 500 hp. Any car manufacture can throw displacement and tires at a car and make it fast. That's how I've always felt about Vettes and Vipers. How is it that the European and now Japanese manufacturers get it done with so much less displacement? Engineering. And that factor somehow appeals to me.

The Vette is the car with the most performance for the money, no doubt about it. And certain Seiko watches do things that the most expensive Patek Philippe cannot. Sometimes, it's about how you get things done, not just being able to do it.

Well I've always had the same question as you about why the americans have so little HP to Litter ratio! The answere is simple, American cars thrive on Torque, where as Euro and Jap cars dont care so much about it. Torque creats that "pony" theater, the jerk in your neck, the Sheer G force to your system. The trade off between keeping the HP modes with a high litter engine is to keep the torque high. The ZO6 produces 505bhp with 480 lbs/torque.

Now this ratio of torque to HP is easily solved with direct injection and a turbo charger or two. And in the future, to save on GAS, most cars are going to go that route. This is why the GTR can have 450hp and 450 fl/lbs of torque and keep the engine small. its a V6 3.8 Litter engine twin turbo!

Ferarries and other cars don't really care to have a high torque effect, thats why they can have a 4 or 5 litter car with 500-600bhp engine, but the torque numbers go down to 330-385 lbs/torque. Still nothing to cry about, but thats the short answere to why american cars require so many litters to have high horse power, because they make the engine produce a shit load of torque as well without having to use Turbo chargers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i didnt bother reading thru ur post. but why bother with the z06 when there is a zr1 coming?
True about the Zr1. I decided to put a z06 comment, cause honestly I had no idea how rediculous the power on that car is.

And lets face it wouln't it be nice if we the USA could finally have a car that could compete with the likes of ferrari and lambo?

Our z06's and vipers do a good job keeping up with the performance of the "exotic" cars, but again those names lack refinment and class.

But honestly take a look at 2008 z06 and its interior and performance and the price and if your all about having fun in a pretty nice looking car without having to pay a mortgage for it, its defenitly worth it.

I dont' think a vette will ever have the aura as its euro counter parts. I blame GM for this and their refusal to make the car stand alone vice wearing a GM emblem. They could make it a low production car, keep the performance add a few design tweaks to the exterior and charge an arm and a leg for it and we would all be impressed.

But the fact that it only costs 77k vice 277k tells all of us "there is something wrong with it!" and it doesnt have class etc etc..

I like you am guilty of brand recognition and price differentiation in a market place. But thats reality amongst most consumers world wide. Brand differntiation and recongnition is key. It's not a big unkown stereo type that GM in most people's mind is associated with being "red neck" and thats clearly why most here including myself would shy away from owning one. But the reality of the senario is that its a damn fine car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The displacement argument is largely irrelevant and works best if you have a Honda. I want to know why it takes BMW 5.0L, ten cylinders and 40 valves to make 500 hp and 380 something torque. What you're not factoring in is cost, size, weight and complexity. That V10, with 4 over head cams is a lot of extra weight, up high and out in front, taking up space.

The engine technology you like and the characteristics it brings are personal preferences. Just remember that there are many variables at play in getting a car around the track fastest.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I guess the big question with the Z06 or any 'Vette is, what happens in the unfortunate situation that you hit an SUV or put it off the road/track?

How would the 'Vette compare to the Maser in this situation? My guess is that the 'Vette would not fare nearly as well (carbon fiber body panels, ultra light spaceframe, two seater), but I have no specifics to validate this.

Anyone have any info one way or the other?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Squeeze another 125 HP out of your Maserati and the decision would be easy.
Definitely!

I would take the Maserati every time. Vettes are a dime a dozen, there must be at least five in my neighborhood. I know it's tempting when you compare HP/dollar, especially the Z06.

Let’s forget about the performance comparison for a moment. The Maserati has a unique presence and exclusivity that the Corvette just doesn't have. When you look at it that way, I think the Maserati wins every time IMO. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Prefer the morning face

She looks great at night.... with the make up on her face... But when you get up in the morning and look at her, you ask yourself.... "Oh No..." That's
Chevy... Cheap, sleezy and could be hot...

She is gorgoeus... When you wake up in the morning, she is even more beautiful without her make up on... A truly beautiful morning face and makes you get aroused every morning by just looking at her.... That's the difference...

If you only want the performance, Nissan GT-R is the bet... I drive my CLS 63 everyday but got bored with it after 3 months... Probably I will give it to my wife soon.... But I am dying to get my maser back from the dealer when all the work is done.... That's my super model.... It's slower, older and have more miles than my merc but SHE IS SOOOOO HOT!!!!

What do you think??

·
Registered
513 Posts
or you could pick up a

2005 Mercedes SL600 and add a Kleeman TCU/ECU upgrade and blow the doors of the Vette. I guess the Sl600 would fall between the PamAnderson/Euro Model and be the girl you dated in College who looked good in Jeans and a pony tail

·
Registered
78 Posts
most won't get the point . . . .

I get it. In fact I bought it . . . literally. Until you have driven the car & I do mean "driven" (not got in and drove around) people don't get it. I traded my z for a mas. After 6 months I missed the moster brute performance of the z. So, I bought another z (and a reg vette is NOT a Z) with the intention of eventially getting rid of the mas. Needless to say, that hasn't happen and frankly I doubt it ever will. I have raced motocross and roadraced. Fact is, sometimes you wanna play nice and sometimes ya wanna get dirty.
Find a low mileage Z and keep your mas . . . just keep telling yourself your get rid of one . . . soon.
Have fun.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's sort of like this

Sunday morning I went for a long drive, ending up at Captree, where dozens of cars assemble every Sunday morning, mostly Vettes, Mustangs, Vipers, vintage muscle, street rods, and your occassional Mas, Ferrari, Lambo or GT40.

I was doing XXX mph on the highway that approaches the beach, with a Shelby Mustang on my tail. OK. All of a sudden, I hear this incredible whirr, and this guys blows past me at what must have been 160-170. I thought, "that wasn't a normal Mustang". There was no way on earth that I could hang with that. I found him in the parking lot and introduced myself (he used to own a Quattroporte and is a motorcycle dealer). He had a Kenne Bell Supercharger making 720 horses.

So, do I want a Mustang with a KB supercharger? For 25 seconds, maybe. Do I want one without a supercharger? No way. Do I want a Vette like everybody else? Wouldn't happen. Would I see about a supercharger for my GS?:D I wonder if that's possible!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.