Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newsflash, Pirelli's suck for long distance driving.

This happened to me on my way back from Texas in the 02 Maserati Spyder

·
Registered
390 Posts
:shock:

I've always wondered if the weird offset that Italian cars use for their tires could cause something like that. I know it causes a ton of curbed wheels :(

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Ouch. Luckily the wheel looks OK. Is it?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RickBullotta said:
Ouch. Luckily the wheel looks OK. Is it?
The wheel is perfect minus the insane amount of brake dust.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is it possible that there was a regular flat and the condition of the tire in the picture is the result of rolling on a flat?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had a similar disintegration on a rear tyre (Michelin PS2) - BUT this was caused by side-wall damage from hitting a very large pot-hole just before driving at speed down a major road.
I did hear the tyre running flat and should have pulled-over earlier (!) but I was amazed that I could not feel any change to the ride quality. Perhaps this is partly due to the skyhook suspension compensating and partly due to the low profile of the tyres.
Now I always check the sidewalls for bulges before any serious driving (I have had two rears and a front fail with sidewall bulges - all Michelin)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Couple of questions to help us out:
1. What was the miliage on the tire?
2. How long was your Texas drive?
3. Which model was the Pirelli tire? Pzero? Rosso?
Thanks,

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By all means take your Maserati on long drives. I drove my car from Florida all the way to Oklahoma which is a 1,400 mile drive. I've also driven it back and forth to Texas a few times.

Here is the reason why my tire popped it's because I usually check my pressure every 2-3 weeks and hadn't checked it before I went back to Oklahoma. My tires were seriously underinflated.

1. What was the miliage on the tire? Maybe 5,000 or so
2. How long was your Texas drive? 300 miles each way
3. Which model was the Pirelli tire? Pzero? Rosso? PZERO

·
Registered
151 Posts
NAPerformance said:
Here is the reason why my tire popped it's because I usually check my pressure every 2-3 weeks and hadn't checked it before I went back to Oklahoma. My tires were seriously underinflated.
When u say underinflated how many lbs was it under? My tires are usually around 34lbs. How far lower was urs? What do u think caused the tire to be underinflated?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Classic Run Flat Tire Failure

That tire looks like a classic run flat tire failure. We have tested tires on tire test machines and found that exact failure even on normal (70 and 75 series sidewall heights) tires.

Typically, that type of failure wuld be consistent with VERY LOW operating pressures over a relatively short distance.

OBviously, the tire could be examined but the photos support a flat tire failure, not a defect in the tire.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lung7707 said:
NAPerformance said:
When u say underinflated how many lbs was it under? My tires are usually around 34lbs. How far lower was urs? What do u think caused the tire to be underinflated?
It was almost 1/2. The ranging went from 15psi-18psi.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
MVP
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing