Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I'm stuck in the middle here. I'm in the market of buying an 02 maserati...What can i expect in terms of costs for keeping it up? And why would people take such a hit off of MSRP? :confused: :confused:

Are the cars reliable? The cars are ridiculously fun to drive tho.

I need your feedback, folks!

You guys are awesome! :)

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Hi and welcome to Maserati Life. Yes, the cars are reliable. I would suggest looking at getting a new car with a warranty if you are a bit worried about this. The clutch on the cambiocorsa will likely wear out quickly since the traffic in L.A. can be horrendous.

·
Registered
242 Posts
They are very reliable. Do a search and you'll find many many satisfied Maser. owners on this site. The 02's are fine but if you can stretch an extra $15k go for an '04. Just remember that most that bought a new Coupe/Sypder paid about $10-$15 off the MSRP so the owners are not taking as big as a hit as you think. Also, I've noticed that the prices really stabilized in '05. In many aspects it beats the pants off an M3 or a 997 so good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a certified mechanic that can check out a vehicle in Chicago area for me??

Thanks gys! That's all i needed. I want to buy the maserati...
The main problem that I might be facing is:

1. the clutch.
2. electrical.

Am I right? Seeing that these cars are for sale have 15000 miles, im thinking that it needs a new clutch and thats why the owners are selling?

How can I get someone to go out there and inspect the car to make sure it's legit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
New clutch will run you $2400 and up depending on the dealer. Best way to inspect is to have the dealer run a computer diagnostics on the clutch/brake wear. I haven't heard much about electrical issues but expect to pay for new tires as well as they wear pretty fast.

·
Registered
835 Posts
wallstbroker said:
...The main problem that I might be facing is:
1. the clutch.
2. electrical.
Haven't heard too many instances of electrical problems, you'll probably find a lot more on German cars. There isn't enough high tech gadgets on the maserati to cause a concern. Just beautiful italian styling and a big motor. Slow traffic on the west side is your only concern and of course highway patrols :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
My dash lights would flicker on and off randomly, that's the only electrical problem I had. Other then that I drove it everyday. Most of my customers use their coupe/spyders as daily drivers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
masbaz said:
Are you looking at a 3200GT ?

2002 was a changeover yr no?
We didn't get the 3200gt in the U.S. and yes 2002 was the first year of the 4200's.

·
Registered
513 Posts
seeing as you are in CAL, and Beverly Hills to boot, the clutch cost is a bit more than $2400, expect replacement to be about $3800. Being in LA, I would suspect you may need to replace the clutch every 15,000 miles or so. Mine was toast @17,000.

·
Registered
513 Posts
wallstbroker said:
Thats my worry.. :)
you will experience the same symptoms when a traditional clutch goes out. ie Slippage.

Your car needs to be checked out every 12k miles, and the dealer can check the % of wear/life left.

FWIW, I did drive on my "100% worn clutch" for several hundred miles, before i got it into the dealer.

When I got it back, I noticed that when flooring it and upshifting, you get that quick violent push back into the seat action......when the clutch was worn, the shift was lazier and slow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
iufan993
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing