Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it's getting to that point where I ultimately have to decide if I really want to go through with the purchase of an 04 Coupe that should be arriving within days. I've just been worrying a lot recently about if I can truly keep the car for 3 years (I get tired of cars pretty quickly). I've been worrying that because I am going to put lots and lots of miles on the car, if I'm going to have a ridiculously bad deprectiation hit. Also, can you guys who have been driving the new maseratis, particularly the coupe, tell me how your experiences have been with reliability. I'm worried that I will have lots of problems and there are so few dealers where I will be able to get it serviced at. I just don't have the time to keep going to the dealership for service. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated, as it is getting to crunch time. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What color interior/exterior and options did you select? Maybe I can take your place in the order line. As the owner of a 2000 996, I can promise you that rapid depreciation is a certainty. Just my opinion. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your car will depreciate, of course, but contrary to what people think, not that much more than a Porsche for example.
To give you an idea, my car (996 C4 Cab) new was 110,000 Euros, when I asked my delaer how much he was ready to buy it a year after as I was contemplating the idea of a Turbo, he told me 72,000 Euros :shock: :shock: :shock: , the thieves!!! :x
So I've kept it of course and put miles on it and a lots of grins!
The biggest depreciation is in the first two years, after that it tends to stabilize, and yes, maybe Porsche does a bit better than Maser but what you lose in depreciation, you gain in exclusivity, italian flair and V8 music.
As for reliability, again it may not be on par with Porsche, but it's much better than the 3200 and it's garrantied for three years!

·
Registered
252 Posts
The doubts you are having are very normal concidering the amount of money you are about to spend, Kind of like pre-marital jitters. I also agonized about your same concerns before ordering mine. Biggest reason I went ahead with my order was that I was able to locate two people who drove 2003 maserati's and they were very happy with car, As I had read reviews that had made me a little nervous of buying I realy wanted to talk to some owners, is very hard to know a car without drivng a while and some reviewers spend very limited time in a car and they are over critical many times. And yes, car will depreciate a little faster than a more proven car but bottom line is that life is way to short not to just go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=206&page_number=1

This Road & Track article by Sam Mitani is just one of several I've come across in my "due diligence" search to ratify my Maserati Coupe purchase decision. I love the part where he describes the Maserati's Ferrari like wail that makes you turn down the radio and cover your passenger's mouth! :D

Scott is right! Life is too short! Go for it and enjoy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aaalright guys, thanks so much for your help. I've decided on keeping my order and I should be getting it on Thursday. I just kept thinking about how much i truly love the car and how any other car in this price range just wouldn't be the right choice. I'm still a little nervous about the reliability issue, so if you guys run into people who have had an 03 or 04 for a while I'd like to know their experiences with "problems". Anyway, I'm really excited about my choice and I want to thank all of you again for your help. In a little while I'm gonna have to start asking you guys about "upgrades".... :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
After 16 monthes and 50'000 km : only a gearbox oil leakage. 3 softwares updates during standard services (engine & gearbox at the same time). The service of my Maserati dealer is pretty good, at the same level of Mercedes, far better than Audi.

My previous car was a Mercedes and my wife still have a MB. The service is comparable. The finish and the reliability of the Maserati is better than the 3 Mercedes we had. Some exemples : the hi-fi system is not good on the Maserati, they change it wihout charges. After 70'000 Km the ABS/ESP system of the CLK 55 still desactivate itself sometimes when the weather is wet (my brother buy back it to me).

Some friends of me are very disappointed of the Porsche service and attitude. My Maserati dealer organize 3 or 4 events per year : on track, rallye, dinner (free of charge)...

I really think you will not be disappointed by the car. For the service, it is dependant to your local dealer. But from the manufacturer point of view you will get a "customer first" attitude.

Enjoy !

·
Registered
252 Posts
All the reviews I have found on Maserati was for their 2002 models and some did make me a little nervous, That is why it was important for me to find some drivers of newer models. The two people I found who drove 2003s seemed to feel most of the original issues were addressed, so it seems Maserati is listening to concerns and I am betting 2004 models will be even more improved. As maserati is mostly built by hand it is much simpler for them to make quick changes. Would love to see some reviews soon from the major car mags on 2004 Maserati. My dealer tells me the USA market is very important to Maserati success and they will be pushing their dealers to provide excellent service to its customers. Also I hear Audi might become a dealer for Maserati which would give you many more options for service. But I like the fact a Ferrari mechanic will be working on my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts