Maserati Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sharing my story with you guys to help get your 4.7 granturismo pass the emission test
after the battery was disconnected or replaced. (a nightmare)

So you went to the emission test and you were told to go and drive the car more because the
monitors are not ready. You did, hundreds of miles and the car is still not ready.

First of all, stop panicking, I give you the silver bullet.
1. Get a Scanner, (I got this: Foxwell NT530) Make sure its preloaded with the Maserati software.
2. CHANGE THE AIR FILTER!!
3. GET A NEW MAF SENSOR!! (Bosch 0280218224) DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU THINK YOURS IS STILL GOOD! Get a new one!
4. Change the spark plugs (NGK Laser Platinum PMR8C-H) this is opptional.

6. Drive the car like your mother, don't race! NO AC!
7. Drive on the freeway for at least 15 minutes 55 miles per hour. (two times, different days)
Other days you can go with 65.
8. Like others said before me, when you start the car let it iddle/worm up for 8-10 minutes.
Do it every day for at least a week.
9. Find an open road where you can drive 45 miles per hour constantly for 10 minutes.
10. Do it with 35 as well if possible.

By this time the OBD scanner (I/M readiness page) will show 7 items "OK" and 3 items INC. (Incomplete)

Those are the hard ones.
"Catalyst Monitoring"
"Evaporative System Monitoring"
and "Secondary Air System"

Go back to your quiet open road, preferably early morning. NO AC! Make sure there is no traffic.
When you drive (slowly) shift the car into second gear and get it to 2000 rpm,
Now speed up gradually to 6000 rpm, step off the pedal and let it slow down to 2000 rpm.
Do this 8 times.
Now slow down, pull to the side of the road and let the car iddle for 5 minutes.
Turn off the engine.
Sit there for 15-20 minutes and count the birds.
Start the car and drive it home.

Plug in the scanner. By now you have probably only the "Evaporative System Monitoring" left
incomplete, but don't worry, because the emission test doesn't require that, not even in CA.

It took me a month to figure all of this out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm sharing my story with you guys to help get your 4.7 granturismo through the emission test
after the battery was disconnected or replaced. (a nightmare)

It took me a month to figure all of this out.
I can appreciate what you went through to get the Monitor readiness to pass, I do it at least a few times a month when requested to do a State Inspection after a ECM repair. There was a time that I thought what you went through or something similar was necessary. What you come to realize is, all that isn't necessary. If the owner doesn't want to drive the vehicle for a time and bring back for a Inspection then I will do a quick early morning 10 mile test drive at 65 MPH for a day or two and that usually will get all but one to complete. But to each his own (y)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts