Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pristine!! 1974 Fiat X1/9 with 35700 miles on it from Huntington Beach CA. for $3850. I owned a new one in 76 and LOVED the poor little under-powered mid-engined wedge. This one is GREEN (???) and looks new. It's the first year (like my old 240Z) and still smells new (i.e. like plastic). MY 12 yo daughter prefers it to the Maser and wants it to be her car when she's 15.......... OK....... I'll post pics as soon as it gets here (slow boat from HB for $250). Hey, it's still in the family!!! :cool:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Congrats....

I too owned an X1/9 for a period of time back in 1983. Mine was a 1977 and was sort of a "rust" red color with a dark brown interior. Only problem I had with it, was shortly after I bought it, the timing belt jump a couple of teeth and bent a valve.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I can't beleive any of these are still on the road!

I was out with a friend on a spirited drive through the country, when he tossed it into a turn.
Well...........
The rust in the front end allowed the steering rack to shift, and the entry into the turn was not as sharp as we had planned. The local flora beat my side of the car sensless, while his additional steering lock pulled the little rust bucket back onto the road.
Overall, a very memorable experience.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jalpa_Mike said:
Congrats....

I too owned an X1/9 for a period of time back in 1983. Mine was a 1977 and was sort of a "rust" red color with a dark brown interior. Only problem I had with it, was shortly after I bought it, the timing belt jump a couple of teeth and bent a valve.
I blew the transaxle out of mine. Other than that, it was a fun car for So. Cal. I actually built a mount for my surfboard, which was as long as the car! Ah the good old days :)

And yes they do have a rust problem, especially around the windshield. My Fiat 850 spyder broke in half going over railroad tracks! Now THAT was a rust bucket.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
squid said:
I meant the 15 part. I couldn't legally touch one at all until I was 17.
15 for a permit, 16 for a license, parent provided driver's ed is allowed. None of this means she will actually drive before she's 18!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts