Registered
2,011 Posts
A lil MC20 sound clip...4:47 to 5:18

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
She says 19,000 are ALREADY SOLD !?!?!?!?!? The price wasn't even listed until yesterday.....hmmmmm

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Still think the GT sounds better....maybe he didn't push sport button on the MC20

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Still think the GT sounds better....maybe he didn't push sport button on the MC20
GT sounds WAAAAAY better!
An 'all Maserati' engine, I didn't think they would pull off the upset, especially with a 6 banger.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's a great looking car but the interior looks a bit cramped. I'm curious as to when the dealer's will start taking deposits?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In the video posted the lady claimed "19,000" have been preordered......hmmmmmm not sure I buy it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
To be honest, the Bi-turbo on my BMW X5 5.0 sounds better than the MC20. o_O
Then again, It is a V-8!
BMW X5 5.0.jpg

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
154 Posts
To be honest, the Bi-turbo on my BMW X5 5.0 sounds better than the MC20. o_O
Then again, It is a V-8!
Yeah I was also underwhelmed by the exhaust sound in the video

Reactions: timado404

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Wait with your judgment until you have heard the car in real life, even at higher revs and under full load.

This car has a lot to offer, for example its aerodynamics and suspension.
Here a report from Autoblog.
Aerodynamics
Over two thousand man-hours in the Dallara Wind Tunnel and more than a thousand CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) simulations have enabled the creation of a car with refined aerodynamics which is also a genuine work of art.
Elegant and sporty, efficient and lightweight. Unmistakable.
Conceptually, the MC20's aerodynamic design divides the car into two parts: an upper part where stylistic considerations predominate and a more technical lower part, colour-coded in black and carbon fibre respectively. In the car's upper section, the forms respond primarily to aesthetic priorities and the aerodynamic features are amalgamated into the lines conceived by the designers, to achieve high efficiency without interfering with the sleek, elegant bodywork.
The air vents on the bonnet and those at the side that provide the engine's air intake and cool the intercooler are thus "natural" features, virtually invisible when the car is viewed from some angles.
What's more, there are no obvious aerodynamic appendages: just a discreet rear spoiler that enhances the up-washing generated by the floor and enhances the downforce with no detriment to the car's great beauty.
In the lower part of the MC20, on the other hand, the technical component takes control.
The front air ducts have been optimised to ensure efficient air distribution across the radiators and the car's floor and upper part.
Special attention was also taken over the correct management of heat flows.
The floor is completely encased and was the subject of complex design analyses to maximise the car's aerodynamic efficiency.
Its front incorporates an elaborate system of vortex generators, rendered even more effective by the distinctive hump shape of the floor, which gradually rises in the centre, in the area level with the wheels, to increase the air flow to these devices, before reconnecting to the chassis bed.
The venting channel in the area behind the front wheel starts near the point where the hump reaches its greatest extent and continues right along the side, generating a considerable vertical load in line with the front axle due to the expulsion of the air flowing from the bottom and the wheel arch.
The incorporation of this highly racing-derived feature implied a special conformation for the carbon fibre monocoque, the wheel arch and the doors, as was also the previously case on the MC12.
The door sill air ducts, located immediately in front of the rear wheels in a zone with natural overpressure, enable the necessary air flow through the engine compartment without impacting resistance.
To conclude, the rear part of the floor of the car includes a large diffuser, with channels of different depths and optimised vertical spoilers that exploit the pressure differences between the various sections to generate vortices and energise the air flow.
Thanks to the almost obsessive care taken over the development of all these features, and the ceaseless hard work to integrate technical factors with aesthetic demands, the MC20 generates a high aerodynamic load with an excellent drag, enabling it to reach top speeds over 325 km/h and continue to hug the ground in all conditions of use.

Suspension
The very compact front suspension features a double wishbone with semi-virtual steering, two bottom links and one top link. The same semi-virtual layout is adopted on the rear suspension, one of the very few cases of this application on the market today.
The use of semi-virtual suspension allows the tyre's contact patch to be kept constant while cornering, ensuring high lateral accelerations and keeping handling natural and instinctive in any situation and at any speed.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
No disrespect intended...but before I actually heard the MC20, I think I had already heard enough! There isn't a turbocharged V-6 anywhere in this world that sounds good to me
Sadly, I think this platform is about to be PAR for the course in the supercar world. That being said, the MC20 Is without a doubt, an amazing creation in every other way! And kudos to Maserati for what looks to be a very worthy opponent (y)

Reactions: DSGT

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Considering the increasingly strict noise regulations I would say the time of the wonderfully powerful and screaming engines is over anyway. I've driven just about every McLaren, there's nothing with a good sound, and yet I own one and enjoy the car enormously. In this respect, I don't think that Maserati did a really bad job.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I agree, the car seems to be a great step in a good direction. And really, could you even seriously imagine it to actually sound better than our naturally aspirated V-8 GT's, good luck with that! ;)

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,773 Posts
Sadly, I am afraid what BlackMasi stated will soon be true . Fortunately not just yet, we may still have a 2 to 3 year period of manufacturers putting out 8s , a few 10s and even 12s ; several have done it this year and vowed to keep doing it for as long as practical and allowable ( Ferrari, Aston Martin, BMW, Mercedes , Audi , among others ..) but it‘s a quickly fading breed , along with the glorious exhaust sounds . I’m sure in its class , Maserati has produced the best sound a V6 TT can possibly eek out , but it can’t even shine the shoes of a NA V8, or NA 10s and 12s. Not just the cyl. number handicap, but turbos muffle the sound even more ., look at what happened to Formula 1 cars .. they went from a phenomenal sound to a pathetic note .. I stopped going to live F1 races ONLY because of that !

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Because I own a Granturismo, the MC20 is not allowed to sound any better! ;)

I'm happy with the world. The MC20 is supposed to be a new Maserati car in all aspects, and the approach to put an extremely agile and light car on the road is very interesting. Maserati has already built a beautiful looking and extremely good sounding golden boy (I intentionally do not write fat, sluggish, awkward...), now I want something new.

I once had an old Ferrari V12, built in 1972, and I have never had a better sounding car again. And yet I don't miss this old stinker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a great looking car but the interior looks a bit cramped. I'm curious as to when the dealer's will start taking deposits?
I stopped by my local dealership Friday to ask if they had any brochures, etc., found out I was the 3rd inquiry on this car already, but the first "local guy" to stop by. While talking for about fifteen minutes, he asked if I wanted to put down a non-refundable deposit to be first in line... No thanks, I'm waiting to drive it, hear it, and see the upcoming Spyder.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts