Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made the jump from inquisitive observer to owner. I just bought a new 2005 90th Anniversary Spyder. Interestingly enough, I had been looking at used spyders for a while when I received an offer in the mail for 10K off the purchase of a 2005 from dealer inventory. I canvased dealers to find available inventory and with a bit of negotiating and the help of the letter I believe I got a good deal for a great car.

I received the offer letter yesterday and it expires on Saturday. Not sure exactly why I recieved the offer but it was a personalized letter that required me to log onto Maserati North America and then print out a coupon that was specific to me. From a marketing perspective, I would suppose it worked like a charm. I would not have bought the new spyder without it.

Anyway...I am more than psyched to get my new baby home next week.

-Eric

·
Registered
46 Posts
which color did you go with? Blue or silver? Which dealer did you buy from? Did you get it for $10k less than MSRP? Congratulations... I think the carbon fiber tonneau covers looks great on the 90th anniversary spyder. Post pics after you get it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
CONGRATS eric!
This is the most gorgeous spyder! you gotta love the carbon tonneau cover!
Please post pics once you receive your car!
Cheers! Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silver color. Pictures to follow next week. i believe i got a good price with the offer from mna.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So are you enjoying your car? I can't wait to see pictures. I haven't seen many 90th anniversary cars in silver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update...

Love the car...it is a drivers car. Truly feels like you are driving a race car. here are my initial reactions:
1. Sport mode for me...love the sound, the speed and the shifting.
2. I have already amalgamated to the CC paddles. Even in sport mode I find the shifting smooth and consistent to manual clutching.
3. Love the sound of this engine in Sport mode. When I picked up my car I actually heard a Tubi on a GrandSport. It sounded great but I think my car in Sport mode sounds just as sweet.
4. This car attracts attention. I have yet to drive the car without getting comments every time I stop. I thought the car in this relatively sedate silver color would not attract the attention...I was wrong.
5. It gobbles up petro at a rabid pace ( not unexpected ).
6. Car hates reverse. You can almost feel the car complaining to please let it go forward.
7. Visibility with the top down is not great.
8. As others have said...sound system is not great. With top down there is simply not enough bass so it sounds a bit tinny.
9. You feel connected to the road. The steering wheel feels directly connected to the wheels. Bad roads are felt in the steering wheel. This is a positive for me.
10. I know this car is not off the charts for pulling g's around corners as compared to some other notables but I have found this car handling to be amazingly tight.
11. Love the push button start and the resulting engine growl.

I have not yet really pushed the revs yet. Dealer told me to wait 500 miles before pushing the revs. Drove the car for short periods around 100mph...very smooth and pretty loud in sport mode with the top down.

Big issue is really keeping it all under control. There are not a lot of great places near me to let this baby run and it is hard to keep it under control when cruising the neighborhood.

A few other notes...when I picked up the car I noticed the side mirrors would not adjust. They immediately reset the electronics and all was better. Then on my way home the hood open warning light came on when I was driving above 60mph. When I got home I opened and closed the hood and have not had a problem since.

Anyway...I will try to take some pictures this weekend and will post them.

-Eric

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am so glad you love your car, Eric. I am also glad you went with the 90th anniversary addition. Keep enjoying it. Which dealer did you get it from? How was the dealer experience?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eric said:
Then on my way home the hood open warning light came on when I was driving above 60mph. When I got home I opened and closed the hood and have not had a problem since.

-Eric
Why is it that I never, EVER can close my trunk on the first try? It ALWAYS has to be closed twice. Does this happen to everyone?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mine did that. The dealer did some sort of adjustment @ the 43,500 maintenance, but also recommended dropping the trunk from only 1-2" any more and the air gets trapped inside preventing the lid from latching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts