Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I found a 2012 Maserati Quattroporte at a dealership in Baltimore, MD and am thinking about making an offer. But I first wanted to be sure that it is good deal and a good model year for this car? Here's the link to the car on the dealer website Used 2012 Maserati Quattroporte S with NAV and Bluetooth and XM Radio for Sale in Baltimore MD 21215 CarZone USA

The car looks and drives very nice but I am not familiar with these cars. Also here is the carfax for the car that I found which I think shows that it came from overseas. Is that normal? https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=CUL_1&vin=ZAM39JKA4C0064668&source=CFX&dealerid=H92290Y001&recordid=-7636232762635646139&zip=21215

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
The car looks very nice in & out. An independent, pre-purchase inspection that you pay for is always a good idea. It can help you negotiate a reasonable price based upon what it discovers. There are good firms that can help you do this in your location.

I may start in what seems like a weird place, but it's significant with this particular generation of QP. What type of driving experience are you looking for? If you are after something equivalent to what you find in current generation M-B, BMW, Jaguar, or even one year newer QP's, this generation may disappoint, because it's really a sports car-handling big sedan. I have owned both types of vehicle, and it's not one better than the other, it's just what type of response do you want from the car you are driving. How Maserati accomplished a sports car feel in a 2+ ton car is part of the mystique of the Generation 5 QP's. If you are after a richer, more robust driving experience than these other fine marques offer (they are primarily designed for a different cohort of operators) then this generation QP may be for you.

This model year (2012) is the last of the generation, and by my data collection efforts, Maserati sold only about 450 2012 QPs in the USA, across all 3 body variants. The records you provided indicate that this one is an S model, others on Forum: didn't only the GTS model have the red stripes in the trident? Either way, this is a rather rare car in the QP5 universe. You won't "see yourself coming" very often in this vehicle.

In my experience, getting the last model year in a vehicle series has been a good thing because all the manufacturing bugs are by then worked out as much as they are going to be. This is especially true for a limited production manufacturer like Maserati was for this generation (things changed significantly one year later). Limited production means that the assembly lines are set up for low-volumes with more human-driven steps in the manufacturing process, giving the finished product more of a "handmade" character than what came afterwards. That can be good or bad, depending upon your expectations. Just as one comparison point, in 2012 BMW sold in the USA 12,000 7-series models and over 281,000 for all models. In 2012 Maserati sold in the USA 450 QP5s and 2,765 for all models. I don't know how many Forum participants drive the Maserati that they do in part for the exclusivity factor, but it's there. That also can be good or bad, depending upon your expectations.

The mileage on the car isn't untoward for its age. This car appears to have been driven about 9K miles per year, which is about a daily driver average for some of us. In my opinion, the more these cars are driven, the fewer problems arise of the type that come from sitting most of the time. This generation of QP wants to be driven. You will see the more you drive it.

The car has the larger engine, mine has the smaller, so I will let others on Forum inform about particular issues they may have experienced with that drive train. Some earlier years in this generation had some variable valve timing hardware issues that were expensive to fix post-warranty. There was a fix applied by the factory to later years. I haven't heard on Forum lately if the very late model years in this generation have continued to experience these issues after the factory fix. Others may tell you more. The engines changed in 2013, along with almost everything else about the QP6's.

If you read much on this Forum, you may start to wonder about the reliability of the QP5s. You are reading mostly about the cars that had troubles. Not all of them do. There are some really high-mileage QP5s in current use that haven't had significant troubles. Others on forum may provide some pointers about what to make sure about in that pre-sale inspection. I note that the CarFax shows it has been in dealer inventory almost a year without being sold. That's a long time for a dealer to keep a car and not run up lots more mileage. Perhaps you should ask why. The "car coming from overseas" isn't an issue. They were all made in Modena Italy, so they all do. It arrived stateside with only 81 miles on the odometer before it was registered in NJ, and it appears that it spent from then until last year there.

Wishing you the best during your hunt. Most of us owners of this generation on this Forum love these cars in spite of features that some who have different expectations might call flaws. Again, it's all about what you are looking for in a driving experience.

ktbd

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you closely at a QP, you will see quality in manufacture that is hard to match.

$45,000 goes how far today for a car?
My loaded 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit was that - new.

A pretty good price . ... IMO

Kickthebricks has given you the straight goods.

I got rid of my QP for for one reason-
I couldn't get the miles on it after I moved to the islands.

The dealer called me constantly to ask - How many miles this year?

I had to rebalance the fleet...
less in US, more in DR

·
Registered
1 Posts
CarFax

I encourage everyone to NOT rely on CarFax reports. The last car I bought had a CarFax report in which they "forgot" to mention an insurance "total Loss"
accident. All attempts to contact them and bring charges against them for errors and omissions was handled by one of their lawyers who is paid to never take responsibility. On top of that I learned they are continually in court for class action suits.

Do your own research, it is much safer for you! There are very good appraiser companies out there who can do the proper background search for only a few hundred $.

We learned the hard way when we relied on CarFax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you can get them to let you take the vehicle to a independent shop for a PPI (Private Party Inspection) that would be in your best interest. There is a independent shop Rosso Service | Exotic Car Service Baltimore | Luxury Car Repair Maryland | Bel-Air, Forest Hill that is in Forest Hill, MD about 30 miles northeast of the selling dealership. Scott is a great guy and factory trained in Maserati. I'm sure he could appraise the vehicle for you to let you know if it is a good deal. We have had a couple of that generation QP in our shop and none have had any major issues to my knowledge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I suggest you contact Craig Waterman here on the Forum. he is a Maserati Master and will travel to perform a PPI. He is in the Boston area. Reach out to him through this forum. He helped me with a very thorough inspection for a reasonable price and knows his stuff. He is now my go-to maintenance guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts