Maserati Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
There's two threads on this issue so I'm going to post my 2 cents:

Pure straight pipes on the dry sump cars sounds too raspy in my opinion. The downshift crackles sound like the detonations occur too close to to the tips - too high pitched. The offset inlet/outlets of the gutted muffler mod solves this problem but it does sound hollow under load, likely because of the extra space created inside of the muffler. Theoretically, this new design should work. You're keeping the pipe offset while reducing the functional area inside the muffler.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's two threads on this issue so I'm going to post my 2 cents:

Pure straight pipes on the dry sump cars sounds too raspy in my opinion. The downshift crackles sound like the detonations occur too close to to the tips - too high pitched. The offset inlet/outlets of the gutted muffler mod solves this problem but it does sound hollow under load, likely because of the extra space created inside of the muffler. Theoretically, this new design should work. You're keeping the pipe offset while reducing the functional area inside the muffler.
Hey do yo have a sound clip of the your method? This way I can compare with my sound clip of fully gutted.

Basically this is the same.. fully gut.. then just add the divider? Just make it look identical to the picture above?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

·
Registered
150 Posts
Might be easier to just run a straight pipe through the box...

C
True, but you might as well remove the whole box and make it a true "straight pipe".

That's not the effect I was going for. Like Erik said it's pretty much a hybrid of a straight pipe and his mod.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
True, but you might as well remove the whole box and make it a true "straight pipe".

That's not the effect I was going for. Like Erik said it's pretty much a hybrid of a straight pipe and his mod.
I understand now. Makes sense :)

When mine were done we had two pipes split so that gas exited from both tips.

C

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey sorry i got rid of them a while ago.. Right now I'm looking for factory mufflers to go back to stock sound and just add an xpipe and call it a day.

At the moment I have custom Magnaflow 14" x 4" mufflers with awesome tips (they are 3.5" chrome and it took for ever to find them slant cut so they go with the curvature of the bumper like the stock ones do. Willing to trade for stock? Or anyone for that matter.).. https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=10416

Equal to if not a tiny bit quieter than the gutted mod (no where near as much bass)

I paid $200 in labor, $300 in mufflers, $200 in tips

NO DRONE, factory xpipe/resonator, factory fit.

Trust me the GoPro Hero sound doesn't do it justice at all! Its a regular Hero with no back door at all. It adds way too much bass to the actual sound.

A little launch and revs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxDlNnJerlg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyE2Okccnn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBZwQkr1wOU
I went with a Larini X-pipe and have loved it on my 2011 QP-S. That along with a custom performance tune has been noting short of wonderful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone try this yet ?Also can u guys repost videos a lot of links are broken

So I heard a few of the members audio/video of the gutted muffler mod. I heard some hollowness and came up with a possible fix to that.

I work in the audio engineering field so I used some of that knowledge with this mod lol.

Sound in a big open space will sound hollow. If you reduce the space the sound will be compressed more and will sound less hollow. So that's basically the idea. Divided the muffler in half with some type of plate so the sound only travels through half the muffler rather then the whole muffler as ErikDiSomma did making it sound cleaner.

This is just an idea I came up with. I don't know if I'm going to try it. I do truly believe this will reduce the hollowness I heard quite a bit and make it sound much better than Erik's original mod. I am no exhaust expert

Here's a outline drawing of my idea.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I never did post pics of what I did exactly. The photo of the muffler is exactly what I did & I don't know why I didn't cut off the other pipes :|.
Difference from stock is a very slight increase in volume and a really light burple upon letting off the gas no popping and crackling. I don't think it was worth the time, effort and $$$.

Today I had a shop fabricate an x pipe as I still had the factory center resonator...and from that I got a slight increase in volume (as I expected nothing major)...and TORQUE...very noticeable torque...hell I was surprised an x pipe would affect torque pretty significantly.

Anyways I'm thinking of removing my mufflers again and trying the mod design I had posted to see if I get possible more volume. If that doesn't do much I'm going weld a Y shaped pipe from the inlet to outlet pipes..pretty much a straight pipe inside the muffler you could call it but with heavy insulation and I'll see what that does. I'm all about trying things out :wink2:.

Here are some photos...Took photo of car just because it looks good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you have any updates on your latest mod?
I did a different muffler mod that I would compare the sound to Larini/tubi systems. Once the sound "broke in" all I could say was WOW.

Beautiful exhaust notes, no cabin drone & countless smiles/joy laughter at the cost of $100.

I haven't posted a decent video of mod as I've been away from home for a few months. Once I get a change I will update post.

Note: The sound hadn't broken in at the time of video which now sounds completely different.

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/#/topics/101449

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did a different muffler mod that I would compare the sound to Larini/tubi systems. Once the sound "broke in" all I could say was WOW.

Beautiful exhaust notes, no cabin drone & countless smiles/joy laughter at the cost of $100.

I haven't posted a decent video of mod as I've been away from home for a few months. Once I get a change I will update post.

Note: The sound hadn't broken in at the time of video which now sounds completely different.

Maserati Forum - The Site for Maserati Owners

What exhaust mod did you do this time? And are you going to keep it on your car for a while?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Has anyone tried this on a GS valved muffler? Was thinking of trying something to make the loud setting on mine, louder, and the quiet setting the same.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just done away with that backbox all together. Literally gave it to the rag and bone man that cruise by collecting scrap. At the end I welded a lovely set of "cowbells" blued to the perfect hue of the grey-blue of the car people think they´re factory and the resonant sound they make at lower RPMs or when downshifting is out of this world. I too have no drone inside. No neighbours protesting when I come in or out but when I rag of, when I nail it, when you´re on wide-open-throttle I like Eric finally "feel" that Ferrari violin-like scream that I've always wanted and it just makes your skin come up in goosebumps cause you know you´re finally there, up there with the best. Fear not brothers

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Right now I'm running full straight pipes with the hollowed mufflers. No cats, Larini Xpipe. I liked the sound with the hollowed mufflers, but the way it's set up now there's a little frequency loss at higher RPMs. I'd like to have the rear mufflers deleted but I can't find a bolt-on system with staggered tips. Fabspeed's tips aren't staggered, otherwise I'd order right now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been looking for an exhaust system since I bought my QP last year. I wanted one that gave me more sound than stock but lacking that "rumbly" muscle-car sound that straight pipes give you. I heard, Larini, Borla, Tubi and others but to me they all sound like a LOUD SEDAN! I wanted the high pitch whine of a F430 and I was told it's just too much pipe for that sound in a 4-door car.

Booooy were they wrong! I got the sound I was looking for today at the price of $500 and it simply puts chills up my spine. It's not about the cost savings, however. If I heard this sound before, I would've spent $5K to get it. Anyway, here's what I did:

1. Opened up the muffler from the top, exposing all the internals, valve, spun fibers, etc.

2. Removed EVERYTHING. This entailed cutting all the incoming pipes at about 1/2 inch from the muffler wall. The entire "gut" pulls right out.

3. Re-welded the upper skin and repainted to factory look.

Here's the secret to the sound--it's the offset of the intake and outlet pipes that give a distinctly different sound than straight pipes. I have heard modified mufflers before, specifically those with opened valves and removed insulation, but nothing sounds like this. Nothing on YouTube sounds like this! No cabin drone either.

I plan to post pictures shortly along with some sound clips. I am posting from my phone right now----I couldn't wait to share!

I like what you have done. Im looking at doing it with my 2012 qp 4.7 S. Its what my wife drives every day. Is it much louder than in sport mode or about the same just all the time? just want to make sure she will like it. Im assuming no issues with error codes from the car. Cannot thank you enough for all the info. Joe

81 - 100 of 107 Posts