Maserati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have heard the X-pipe and I don't like it at all. Do a youtube search for "quattroporte straight pipe" and listen to the silver car at the top. That's with a X-pipe and muffler delete. Sure, it's loud but it lost the Italian note these cars are known for.

Additionally, I love the stock tips. These were popular with the Ferraris of this era and were used on the Enzo due to the sporty yet understated styling.
this set up isnt straight pipes though. It still uses the factory gutted mufflers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have been looking for an exhaust system since I bought my QP last year. I wanted one that gave me more sound than stock but lacking that "rumbly" muscle-car sound that straight pipes give you. I heard, Larini, Borla, Tubi and others but to me they all sound like a LOUD SEDAN! I wanted the high pitch whine of a F430 and I was told it's just too much pipe for that sound in a 4-door car.

Booooy were they wrong! I got the sound I was looking for today at the price of $500 and it simply puts chills up my spine. It's not about the cost savings, however. If I heard this sound before, I would've spent $5K to get it. Anyway, here's what I did:

1. Opened up the muffler from the top, exposing all the internals, valve, spun fibers, etc.

2. Removed EVERYTHING. This entailed cutting all the incoming pipes at about 1/2 inch from the muffler wall. The entire "gut" pulls right out.

3. Re-welded the upper skin and repainted to factory look.

Here's the secret to the sound--it's the offset of the intake and outlet pipes that give a distinctly different sound than straight pipes. I have heard modified mufflers before, specifically those with opened valves and removed insulation, but nothing sounds like this. Nothing on YouTube sounds like this! No cabin drone either.

I plan to post pictures shortly along with some sound clips. I am posting from my phone right now----I couldn't wait to share!
Thanks for tip! Just had mine done on 09 quattro 4.7s and the sound improvement is dramatic. There is a valve inside an 09s muffler, wonder what year and model have them. I did notice a little more rumble @ idle inside the cabin, but it is quite livable. What would the next mod to get more output w/o more cabin drone and not worry about CA smog nor o2 sensor.

·
Registered
229 Posts
anyone else experience the rear getting dirty fast with this mod? Also.. I've noticed at idle its not that loud, but the bass is tremendous! It shakes the tools hanging in the garage lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been looking for an exhaust system since I bought my QP last year. I wanted one that gave me more sound than stock but lacking that "rumbly" muscle-car sound that straight pipes give you. I heard, Larini, Borla, Tubi and others but to me they all sound like a LOUD SEDAN! I wanted the high pitch whine of a F430 and I was told it's just too much pipe for that sound in a 4-door car.

Booooy were they wrong! I got the sound I was looking for today at the price of $500 and it simply puts chills up my spine. It's not about the cost savings, however. If I heard this sound before, I would've spent $5K to get it. Anyway, here's what I did:

1. Opened up the muffler from the top, exposing all the internals, valve, spun fibers, etc.

2. Removed EVERYTHING. This entailed cutting all the incoming pipes at about 1/2 inch from the muffler wall. The entire "gut" pulls right out.

3. Re-welded the upper skin and repainted to factory look.

Here's the secret to the sound--it's the offset of the intake and outlet pipes that give a distinctly different sound than straight pipes. I have heard modified mufflers before, specifically those with opened valves and removed insulation, but nothing sounds like this. Nothing on YouTube sounds like this! No cabin drone either.

I plan to post pictures shortly along with some sound clips. I am posting from my phone right now----I couldn't wait to share!
I have been going thru the posts and found that ErikDeSomma advised to modify mufflers, to get better sound, cut open muffler box top & gut out inside pipes and then weld box at top again...I talked to local welding guy who can do it for 200 bucks but he told me that no matter how you do it, welding will cause rust with time....my question, is it true and if yes, then how to avoid it? is there any special way to weld it back?

·
Registered
127 Posts
for those of you who've done this mod can you update us with your thoughts on it after having it a while.. I'd like to know if everyone is still happy with it or if it became a nuisance. Is it loud create any drone inside the vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
After about 40K miles of driving I am still very satisfied with the result and compliments never stop. Keep in mind however, ALL I DID was the mod. I did not bypass or replace the factory x-pipe/resonator. With the current setup you get:

1. Stock-sounding idling at temp with a slight pulse
2. No cabin drone what-so-ever
3. Louder acceleration
4. Crackling downshifts
5. Stock looks
6. No custom fitting needed

Finally, I have a dry-sump car. The wet-sump cars do sound different. Not better or worse, just slightly different. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've done this mod. as well, IT IS FANTASTIC, don't wait. I did spray the welded mufflers with a high temperature black paint to prevent any rust, all good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am going to do this for my 2008 quattroporte ex gt was thinking of getting the Maserati stock x-pipe with it as well

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm going to jump on the boat and try it out sometime this week. I'm also thinking of tweaks that could possibly enhance the sound a bit more...If I'm opening the muffler might as well experiment with it :grin2:

I'll also record before/after video and audio though a studio recording microphone so those who haven't heard it can get the true quality sound that cellphone/video-camera mics can't provide.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did it as well.. Insane sound!! The only reason I removed it, is because the whole rear of the car gets black with soot (I have the Pearl white, so much more noticeable.)

i.e. If I wash the car today drive a full day of commute (60 miles).. when I get back I run my finger along the trunk and it already has a light coat of soot. If I wait a full week, you clearly see it. Not CRAZY, but noticeably dirty in the rear. If it rains or gets wet then its very visible..

BUT, it sounds awesome!

Here's mine on an 07 Auto OE x-pipe/res. Just put a GoPro on and took a drive on the highway.

-This is a cold start with some nice variator rattle lol (this was recorded with iPhone 6)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR7S_nRYImU

-This was with an iPhone. I put it on the floor and drove around it, I don't know why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0E_DUn2eLA&t=103s

-Just put a GoPro on and took a drive on the highway.
Hear the acceleration in the beginning. Then quiet cruising.. 3 min is little accel.. 5:30 to the end is a nice accelerations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTl_Jf7moo&t=349s

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do you have the modded mufflers still? id be interested in them... I would like to try it but the only way I see to reverse it if it's too loud or I'm not fond of it is to put an unmodded set of mufflers on can't see how you'd be able to reweld the pipes back in completely. I guess it's hard to tell from the video just how loud it is. I wouldn't want "insane" loud but a bump in volume would be nice. Got a baby on the way and the car gets quite a bit of attention as it is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you have the modded mufflers still? id be interested in them... I would like to try it but the only way I see to reverse it if it's too loud or I'm not fond of it is to put an unmodded set of mufflers on can't see how you'd be able to reweld the pipes back in completely. I guess it's hard to tell from the video just how loud it is. I wouldn't want "insane" loud but a bump in volume would be nice. Got a baby on the way and the car gets quite a bit of attention as it is.
Hey sorry i got rid of them a while ago.. Right now I'm looking for factory mufflers to go back to stock sound and just add an xpipe and call it a day.

At the moment I have custom Magnaflow 14" x 4" mufflers with awesome tips (they are 3.5" chrome and it took for ever to find them slant cut so they go with the curvature of the bumper like the stock ones do. Willing to trade for stock? Or anyone for that matter.).. https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=10416

Equal to if not a tiny bit quieter than the gutted mod (no where near as much bass)

I paid $200 in labor, $300 in mufflers, $200 in tips

NO DRONE, factory xpipe/resonator, factory fit.

Trust me the GoPro Hero sound doesn't do it justice at all! Its a regular Hero with no back door at all. It adds way too much bass to the actual sound.

A little launch and revs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxDlNnJerlg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyE2Okccnn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBZwQkr1wOU

·
Registered
150 Posts
So I heard a few of the members audio/video of the gutted muffler mod. I heard some hollowness and came up with a possible fix to that.

I work in the audio engineering field so I used some of that knowledge with this mod lol.

Sound in a big open space will sound hollow. If you reduce the space the sound will be compressed more and will sound less hollow. So that's basically the idea. Divided the muffler in half with some type of plate so the sound only travels through half the muffler rather then the whole muffler as ErikDiSomma did making it sound cleaner.

This is just an idea I came up with. I don't know if I'm going to try it. I do truly believe this will reduce the hollowness I heard quite a bit and make it sound much better than Erik's original mod. I am no exhaust expert :grin2:

Here's a outline drawing of my idea.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts