Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for an exhaust system since I bought my QP last year. I wanted one that gave me more sound than stock but lacking that "rumbly" muscle-car sound that straight pipes give you. I heard, Larini, Borla, Tubi and others but to me they all sound like a LOUD SEDAN! I wanted the high pitch whine of a F430 and I was told it's just too much pipe for that sound in a 4-door car.

Booooy were they wrong! I got the sound I was looking for today at the price of $500 and it simply puts chills up my spine. It's not about the cost savings, however. If I heard this sound before, I would've spent $5K to get it. Anyway, here's what I did:

1. Opened up the muffler from the top, exposing all the internals, valve, spun fibers, etc.

2. Removed EVERYTHING. This entailed cutting all the incoming pipes at about 1/2 inch from the muffler wall. The entire "gut" pulls right out.

3. Re-welded the upper skin and repainted to factory look.

Here's the secret to the sound--it's the offset of the intake and outlet pipes that give a distinctly different sound than straight pipes. I have heard modified mufflers before, specifically those with opened valves and removed insulation, but nothing sounds like this. Nothing on YouTube sounds like this! No cabin drone either.

I plan to post pictures shortly along with some sound clips. I am posting from my phone right now----I couldn't wait to share!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I too am very interested and excited to hear and see more. Look forward to your next posts!

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks for the post , I am very interested in future pics and video. I've also been thinking about doing this mod in the spring. Good to hear you love the sound,As I am also looking for that special sound. Seems like you must have found the trick.Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
This I gotta hear. When I had my QP I threw Larinis underneath and it trumped most Ferrari exhaust notes (though, admittedly, what I like about the Ferrari exhaust is not the sound itself, which I find whinny, but the car to which it's connected).

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm very eager to hear as well. I modified a set of stock mufflers by the modest method you described and like it a lot. Eager to hear what NOTHING sounds like.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wonder if we can do this to 2014 QP v8 and achieve the same effect, might be counter productive with turbos... hmmm

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks! Subscribed. bought a used 08 qp sport today. shipping here next week. can't wait to play with it.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, here's the moment you've been waiting for. I tried to get a good sound clip because the mic on my iphone just does not due justice to the real sound. I was at the dealer a week ago and the sound of my start up was nearly identical to the new 458 spyder. The next clip I publish will be a drive by. This is where the goosebumps will start! The note begins to "trumpet" around 2800 rpm and hold solid though 4500, right at the shift points under normal driving conditions! The sound is not overly loud - it's just enough to turn heads but not enough to be obnoxious.

Copy and paste the links into your browser.

https://vimeo.com/user34382427/review/120807960/2a2c846fbb

https://vimeo.com/user34382427/review/120809229/a2dca19d34

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I aready did the same and i took it off and put a tubi system in it because it was not has pitchy sound like my tubi the exact same thing he did i have it for sale for 600 plus shipping there is is video in my post but i would love to hear yours too .

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another important point I'd like to make is that you must not modify or replace the factory X-pipe/resonator. The factory unit does a great job of smoothing out the sound and eliminating the rumble, typical of sedans. I know this because I ran straight pipes to test it before this mod and was a much cleaner sound over the aftermarket X-piped cars I heard.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sounds good. thanks for posting the videos and pics very helpful. I would love to see a video of how it sounds while driving from the inside with the windows up.

You don't feel its too loud inside?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is absolutely no change in cabin noise. No drone at speed either. When in my parking garage, idling, I hear it, but that's due to the natural echo in the room because it disappears outdoors.

The cabin drone was my biggest concern. I was told by the FM dealer that the straight piped cars have a vibrating drone that radiates through the car, so I was very impressed with this mod to say the least.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts