Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested today a GranSport. That is a very good and nice car, but I thought it would by more performant than my Coupé. My impressions :
- Interior (black with light gray fabric, many carbon inserts, dark windows) : I Love it, very sporty but luxury.
- Exterior (black, ball polished wheels, red brakes) : perfect, like my actual car... I love these 19" wheels.
- Engine : same performance as mine, I am disappointed...
- Gearbox : perfect, that's how a CambioCorsa must shift, very fast, bleep on every down-shift... Mine is bizarre sometimes in Sport mode and is not as fast ! Maybe the main "pro" aspect of the GS.
- Suspension : stiffer than mine, but I think the 19" wheels make 80% of the difference.
- Steering : perfect, very precise. Better than on my Coupé, the steering is road-connected but too "floating" compared to the GS.

Verdict : IMHO the GS is a very very good car, but it is not a revolution, it is a little evolution of the Coupé CC. I'm waiting for a financial proposal, if it is good enough I will change my old CC (2002, 96000 km) for the new GS. Or maybe I will wait for the next model and purchase 19" wheels...

·
Registered
69 Posts
no disrespect because I think the coupe is a great car, but first of all the engine is much more progressive through the revs than the standard coupe. I have very good sources that say the GS is around 430hp! That is 40hp more than the standard coupe. The difference is mainly felt between 80mph and above. So unless you were doing fast driving, you would not have felt it. In addition, the sporty nature of the suspension and steering and shifting makes this car that much better than the standard car. And for the price difference, there is no doubt that it is worth the extra money. Not to mention there are only 310 examples ever to be made. The car looks better, more agressive and those rims are hot. The cost to change a standard car to: 1) lower it; 2) put 19 inch rims, 3) put a tubi is equal, if not more expensive than getting a GS. And not to mention, you don't have the exclusivity. So in summary, your thoughts were right on, the suspension, shifting, looks, and steering are all better. Doesn't that mean it is a better car?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI I tested the car up to +180 km/h (traffic and laws does not allow much more 99% of the time). And after the test I drove my car on the same roads. My CC is lowered and have a tubi.

Yes the GS is a better car, but the difference with my CC is not as high as I expected. I am very happy with my car on a perf point of view, like on twisty roads of Switzerland. My feeling with the two cars on the same roads are so closed, no "waouw" effect :(

Some people say the GS perform like a Ferrari 360 Modena. I never tried a 360, so maybe my CC is not far away of many f-cars :lol:

Final point : if the deal is correct, I will take the GS. If not, I will maybe get these nice 19" shoes and wait for the new Coupé...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Great debate here and these "arguments" are what will help make this a more useful forum. You have to look at what Lionel is saying and why. First off he is looking at the GS as a potential upgrade from current coup which is different from someone changing from some other brand of car. I know if I was starting from scratch I would go for the GS and Lionel probably would also, but is different when upgrading. before upgrading you want to see a pronounced difference and as Lionel has had his car for a while, I would respect his opinion. Your comment about the GS being underrated in HP is probably true just as I have heard that all the modern Maserati's are. So I don't think your +40 HP is accurate. We now are hearing rumors of the next generation Spyders and Coups having anywhere from 450-470HP, So maybe like me Lionel is waiting to see if this is true. It seems we are having a blast with our current cars so that makes it much easier to wait a year or so for these.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Interesting post, its been about 8 months since I've driven a regular coupe and spyder and I left feeling they were enough for me, but when I heard about the GranSport I figured it only can get better. There is no doubt the regular cars are fantastic. I guess where the true test is on a track and I recall reading multiple reports that the GranSport was 1-2 seconds a lap faster (I think on Mugello circuit but not sure) than the regular cars and thats fairly significant in a race. Plus the little interior and exterior tweeks, to me, make it worth the extra 10-15 grand.

I guess I can relate to your post in the hope that I wish they would have pushed the limit a little more and made it a Maserati Stradale with weight savings galore to make it much more of a different car, but I guess that would conflict with their marketing stratagies. The 360 Challenge Stradale is such a great car and concept that I wish Maserati would have pushed it further, but I really have no complaints, I love my car.

Phil
8)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CC updgrade to GS version: dealer said it is not possible. But one of his customer who race in the Trofeo upgraded his ECU/CC to the trofeo software (!!! the clutch is out after 4000 km !!!). The dealer is actually trying to obtain the special clutch of the Trofeo who is more resistant...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Swiss-Maserati
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing