Maserati Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post some pics re: HVAC fan failure and what I learned while replacing. 2006 Quattroporte

First, the connector melted, specifically the large gauge red wire connector, not sure if an internal fault of the fan caused that problem or the melting occurred due to loose contact on the connection itself.

Second, look at those circuits, not gonna be fixing this.

Third, Scuderiacarparts said new fans are no longer available. Didn't try any other sources 'cause I was already salty about paying $600 for a fan.

So, I bought a used one, fully aware of problem potentially returning, so that I could get car back on the road.

Swap is easy, I took out the glove box, under dash trim, the front carpet and aluminum foot panel and a bracket holding some sort of body module.

I then bent the bottom edge of dash slightly to allow the fan to come out easier. Easily bent back to shape and is invisible once reinstalled. There might be a way to get fan out without doing this but it was 90 degrees and humid and it's a difficult position to work in.

When Scuderia said no new fans I started thinking about how to adapt a different fan but stopped when I saw the wiring. The connector on the fan has six pins but there are only 4 wires coming from the car, 2 big gauge wires, red and black, obvious + and - and then two smaller wires, green and blue. I'm guessing that the fan speed is controlled on the fan itself and that the two smaller wires are the signal to vary fan speed.

If anybody has a wiring diagram for that circuit I'd appreciate if you connect it to this thread.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,076 Posts
The coupes do this as well. It's just a bad plug design. What makes you think you can't fix it? Can't see any damage to the circuit board.

C

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,
Some info that may be helpful to those contending with HVAC fan/blower etc issues.
Blower Connector (brown) is easily accessible under the glovebox - remove or lower the bracket that holds the climate control module (orange box).
I posted a video showing the 400Hz PWM waveform input to the blower assembly (green pin) that commands the speed (eff. 3.5-11V), and the tachometer output (blue pin) (~70-180 Hz)
Video showing Climate Module PWM to Blower and Tach signal from Blower
Red and Blk are power and ground - they are supplied through Fuse F05 in the engine bay fuse box.
My blower (2009 QP-S) suffers from a strange problem - if the main battery is disconnected for a few minutes to several hours, the blower works upon re-connection - but then quits again after a few hrs.
The Climate control module is commanding the proper PWM based on the panel fan speed selection, so my conjecture is the blower capacitors are failing. They are potted into the unit as seen in Bullitany's pic above.
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts