Maserati Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thought I'd re kindle the thread...

I've heard of that method before. (high load)
I'm still on the fence.....

First of all it goes against what I/we have all learned (not necessarily a bad thing)
Years ago I worked with 2 stroke motorcycles, and when tuning those it was always paramount to gently run them in, seen engine seize up due to incorrect run in (too harsh) but... that's 2 stroke a different story.

I'm going to take a look into this new technique it when breaking in the new engine on the race NSX. (in a week or two)

His theory does make sense, after the engine has been warmed up fully and has been running at various rpm in a controlled environment for some time (or at least that's my take on it)

Careful acceleration pulls could be done.
I know a number of knowledgeable people that agree with his method.
Hey A.S., how did it go breaking in that new NSX engine? Did you try the high load method?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have some interesting info on this topic.

Andrea Bertolini, the racing driver that recently won the European "superstars" championship for super-sedans on a Quattroporte 4.7 racing car, said the following in an interview this week (rough translation):

"Last year we were running a custom-modified engine with an output of 535 HP, this year we moved to an absolutely stock 4.7 liter unit with an output of 493 HP and much better driveability, which helped us to improve the car's handling on many tracks where good driveability in the corners easily compensates for any losses in the straights. We did not need to do ANY modifications to the engine, which saved us a lot of money".

Now, this tells me one clear message: with a free-flow racing exhaust (WITH catalysts - they are compulsory for European racing series), an optimized intake and an optimized ECU, but without any hardware modifications, the 4.7 engine is good for almost 500 HP.

Which ties in with what Jeff's estimates very neatly.

Now I'm looking forward to tweaking the Granturismo S to 500 HP :thumbsup:
What did they do to the custom modified engine to get 535HP?

4,089 Posts
I think FD is gonna be your best bet as I think they tune the most Maserati cars and have software for whatever other mods you have as well..It needs to all work together as mentioned previously in this post to get maximum results...Remember turbo cars are gonna post a lot larger increases as they simply increase the boost...Gains are smaller on normally aspirated cars...Regardless, I would want to see a dynojet graph before I bought anything.....Jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I'm all out with "sound" on my 2005 QP. I inserted open exhaust cut-outs just in front of the stock mufflers (stock look). They can't be seen, unless you bend over to look. The exhaust flows primarily through the cut outs. I do not know the expected HP gain from bypassing the mufflers. In addition (and I do not recommend for street legal reasons) I removed, gutted, and reinstalled the cats after fitting them with recessed secondary O2 sensor bungs (so it does "pass" emissions"). The decibel level increases dramatically to sound more like a Formula 1 car at RPM and retains the "famous gurgle" we all love. It is amazingly faster and the sound is off the chart. I have not been on a dyno, yet. Any guess as to HP gains?

41 - 45 of 45 Posts