Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys , am in the process of speccing out some new wheels. Am thinking of a 21x9.5" +39 front and 21x12.5" +32 rear. Me and the Wheel rep don’t think the front will be an issue but am worried about the rear. I did a thread search and found a guy running 13 inch rears with no issues. Can anyone advise should I be okay? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Hi Guys , am in the process of speccing out some new wheels. Am thinking of a 21x9.5" +39 front and 21x12.5" +32 rear. Me and the Wheel rep don’t think the front will be an issue but am worried about the rear. I did a thread search and found a guy running 13 inch rears with no issues. Can anyone advise should I be okay? Thanks!
Member on here, Rzundel runs a 21x13" rear with no rubbing, (355/25/21). And I'm pretty sure he's lowered too. So you should be just fine 👍
Lambo Aventador runs this rear as well, WOW
Rzundel.png

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
994 Posts
Member on here, Rzundel runs a 21x13" rear with no rubbing, (355/25/21). And I'm pretty sure he's lowered too. So you should be just fine 👍
View attachment 131434
I have 295 with spacers and {no offense} these don't look like they project out much farther than mine....comments? Safety / performance of 295 + 25mm spacers vs. 355 {I am guessing} no spacers ???

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Not sure if he has spacers or not...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! Are there any cons to running such a large wheel? More transmission wear/stress or anything ? The forged wheels will be lighter than oem but much larger so I don’t know if that will yield much of a benefit

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,598 Posts
Anytime you run tires/wheels bigger than manufacturer's spec, you will increase stress on components that are attached to it. That is a given.
Not only that, you will increase drag and rolling resistance which will make the car less responsive, thus slower. For those who are willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for looks, it's their choice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Psb thank you for that information. I may bring the specs back to 12” rear to save a few bucks. Really don’t need the largest possible tire, I just like the looks hehe.
Tim, how is your traction with the 295’s? Can u still cut them loose easily or is that extra width enough to wrangle the beast down?😆

also Attached A pic of the wheel I’m having built.... thinking of going with the light gold finish or a brushed grey w polished lip. The final color is the hardest part! Decisions, decisions

Attachments

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Psb thank you for that information. I may bring the specs back to 12” rear to save a few bucks. Really don’t need the largest possible tire, I just like the looks hehe.
Tim, how is your traction with the 295’s? Can u still cut them loose easily or is that extra width enough to wrangle the beast down?😆

also Attached A pic of the wheel I’m having built.... thinking of going with the light gold finish or a brushed grey w polished lip. The final color is the hardest part! Decisions, decisions
That wheel is nasty
I can break the 295's loose if I floor it from a stand-still and immediately turn, while in 'SPORT' mode. Man those Michelin Pilot's have a grip like the Devil, holding onto a bad man's soul! :p

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Hey Gypsy, did you ever go with that 21x12 rear tire setup???

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Gypsy, did you ever go with that 21x12 rear tire setup???
Hello, yes I did, worked out just fine. So far around 4K miles on them, no issues at all and I’m lowered too . 315 width tire stretched on there

4BD8FBFB-9510-45D5-8FC3-A641C75D8B35.jpeg

0E1B5901-D3AD-4048-A075-DE043DF0C7BE.jpeg

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Hello, yes I did, worked out just fine. So far around 4K miles on them, no issues at all and I’m lowered too . 315 width tire stretched on there

View attachment 135491

View attachment 135490
Yeah that looks SUPERB!

I'm thinking of going with a 20x12.5, 345/30/20 tire, trying to find a wheel I like. I'm down to 2 finalist.
PUR RS01 in Gloss Black or Brixton Forged WR3 in Gloss Black.

Reactions: Gypsy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah that looks SUPERB!

I'm thinking of going with a 20x12.5, 345/30/20 tire, trying to find a wheel I like. I'm down to 2 finalist.
PUR RS01 in Gloss Black or Brixton Forged WR3 in Gloss Black.
FBF696B4-223F-40DA-B834-CD0C3E23873B.jpeg

911A0804-CFF8-4A66-9E58-B837AABF986A.jpeg

Those are very nice choices!! I think you’re going to look back and wish you went with 21’s though... I keep my tires as low as I dare 32-34 psi and it’s not much harsher than before plus the big frame just consumes a big wheel especially at the back. The Pur set looks similar to OEM MC wheels if you’re maintaining the factory vibe (can’t go wrong there) and the Brixtons are edgier, more aggressive and have the thin spokes to show off the brembos. Telltale sign of a strong forged wheel= concavity and thin spokes.
My vote would be the Brixtons in a brushed clear, gunmetal/lighter finish if you have a dark colored car, OR a bronze/darker finish if you have a lighter colored car... and with forged wheel prices as high as they are, you may want to consider choosing a unique finish if included in the price of a set :p hehe. But can’t go wrong with gloss black either

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Also I wanted to include in this thread: If I were to do this again, I would actually not go quite as wide as I did on the rears- however, this could be the result of my driving style/preference so you can ignore accordingly (My use for this car is long summer trips 2+ days on the road of constant use with a few boulevard cruises in-between the snow months) so again take with a grain of salt. :D
Its simply unnecessary to go so wide (outside of looks) and the tire availability and options decrease drastically while the prices go up greatly. (Try a flat in middle of nowhere South Dakota then try to find a 315/30/21!)

My theory is that an 11 or 11.5” rear with a 295/305 tire and a 255 front would actually be ideal for most. I would also paint the inner barrel of the wheels black to avoid seeing gunk accumulate on the inside barrel- it becomes an eye sore after a few days. Furthermore, The back of the car now feels much more ‘rigid’ with the factory camber settings still there, paired with the steamroller wheels It’s almost as if it has grown stabilizer arms in the rear -like you would see on a crane/wrecker while the front still flexes and twists. Real minor complaint here and this was expected but that’s what i noticed immediately after install; and this is what you will feel when you push back into the seat and take a fast corner. I don’t want to say it has changed the balance of the car but rather has lost some of its previous dynamics. Anyways, that’s what I’ve learned from it... in the end not a drastic difference nor am I wanting to go back to the factory wheels anytime soon!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
View attachment 135502
View attachment 135501
Those are very nice choices!! I think you’re going to look back and wish you went with 21’s though... I keep my tires as low as I dare 32-34 psi and it’s not much harsher than before plus the big frame just consumes a big wheel especially at the back. The Pur set looks similar to OEM MC wheels if you’re maintaining the factory vibe (can’t go wrong there) and the Brixtons are edgier, more aggressive and have the thin spokes to show off the brembos. Telltale sign of a strong forged wheel= concavity and thin spokes.
My vote would be the Brixtons in a brushed clear, gunmetal/lighter finish if you have a dark colored car, OR a bronze/darker finish if you have a lighter colored car... and with forged wheel prices as high as they are, you may want to consider choosing a unique finish if included in the price of a set :p hehe. But can’t go wrong with gloss black either
Thanks!
My 21 inch wheel days are long behind me now, I'm firmly entrenched in 20 inch wheels! I do like the gunmetal finish, but I'm a diehard 'gray on gloss black wheels' guy 👍 I do appreciate your suggestions though. I'm leaning towards the "Brix."

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Also I wanted to include in this thread: If I were to do this again, I would actually not go quite as wide as I did on the rears- however, this could be the result of my driving style/preference so you can ignore accordingly (My use for this car is long summer trips 2+ days on the road of constant use with a few boulevard cruises in-between the snow months) so again take with a grain of salt. :D
Its simply unnecessary to go so wide (outside of looks) and the tire availability and options decrease drastically while the prices go up greatly. (Try a flat in middle of nowhere South Dakota then trying to locate a 315/30/21!)

My theory is that an 11 or 11.5” rear with a 295/305 tire and a 255 front would actually be ideal for most. I would also paint the inner barrel of the wheels black to avoid seeing gunk accumulate on the inside barrel- it becomes an eye sore after a few days. Furthermore, The back of the car now feels much more ‘rigid’ with the factory camber settings still there, paired with the steamroller wheels It’s almost as if it has grown stabilizer arms in the rear like you would see on a crane/wrecker while the front still flexes and twists. Real minor complaint here and this was expected but that’s what i noticed immediately after install, and this is what you will feel when you push back into the seat and take a corner hard. I don’t want to say it has changed the balance of the car but rather has lost some of its previous dynamics. Anyways, that’s what I’ve learned from it... in the end not a drastic difference and I’m definitely not wanting to go back to the factory wheels anytime soon!
I'm rolling on a 295 series in the rear now. I just want a meatier look to the rear, strictly for looks in my case as well. I daily drive mine and road trip it every chance I get. I have considered the 2 different halves of the car when It comes to feel, more flex in front, steam roller in the rear. I'm still evaluating everything at the moment, haven't pulled the trigger just yet. But I will take your valuable advice into consideration, thanks!
Did you experience any TPMS issues with your setup???

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm rolling on a 295 series in the rear now. I just want a meatier look to the rear, strictly for looks in my case as well. I daily drive mine and road trip it every chance I get. I have considered the 2 different halves of the car when It comes to feel, more flex in front, steam roller in the rear. I'm still evaluating everything at the moment, haven't pulled the trigger just yet. But I will take your valuable advice into consideration, thanks!
Did you experience any TPMS issues with your setup???
No problem, a 345 will look absolutely mental back there! Will look super tough... as far as TPMS I believe the techs just swapped them, whatever they did was handled the day of install. But everything is business as usual with it- no issues or anything to report, thankfully

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
No problem, a 345 will look absolutely mental back there! Will look super tough... as far as TPMS I believe the techs just swapped them, whatever they did was handled the day of install. But everything is business as usual with it- no issues or anything to report, thankfully
Yeah it would...that's about 2 inches wider than the 295 series tire! (1 additional inch on both sides of the tire).

·
Registered
493 Posts
View attachment 131434
This is mine. I’ve been running this set up with No issues. Yes my car was also lowered with Formula Dynamic custom spec springs. The only thing you have to be prepared for is getting less than 10k miles on the tires. Same goes for the Lamborghini that uses this same size tire.

Reactions: Gypsy and timado404
1 - 20 of 24 Posts