Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some trial and error, I figured out how to make the MMC flash card work in my Spyder's Becker radio. I like it, no skips with CD-like sound quality. Here's what I found out:

1) MMC cards are obsolete. Buy a 2GB MMC Mobile card with MMC adapter instead (I used Kingston).

2) Format the card as FAT, not FAT32.

3) Manually copy MP3's onto the card. I used 256kbs MP3 sample rate, was happy. Use 8-letter maximum directory (artist) and subdirectory (album) names so that they read OK in FAT.

4) The card goes in with the gold contacts facing down.

5) The Becker won't shuffle outside the currently playing directory. If you want it to shuffle all your tracks, you have to dump them all in one directory.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found out one more thing... the Becker unit only works with MMC cards up to 2GB due to its use of the FAT16 filesystem. No use paying for a 4GB MMC card, it won't work.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I ordered a 2GB MMC card from Ebay...I believe it came from Hong Kong.

I put it in my PC, which then adds an "E" removable drive, but when I click on the device, it does not recognize it.

Am I missing something or is the card corrupt?

Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I ordered a 2GB MMC card from Ebay...I believe it came from Hong Kong.

I put it in my PC, which then adds an "E" removable drive, but when I click on the device, it does not recognize it.

Am I missing something or is the card corrupt?

Thanks!
Right click on "E", format and it should work just fine. it might be already formated for a photo device etc. good luck.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Thanks.

When I did that last night it would say "disk cannot be formatted"

I sent a note to seller on Ebay and the response was:

"I am sorry for that. do you have a card adapter to check it? maybe it's the adapter problem, if after you check that, too, and it's the card problem, we will just send you replacement, ok? Thanks."

Thanks again for your help Huzeti!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Huzeti,
Thanks for the post, i was just trying to sort through this and was very curious if it was worth the trouble (with my new springs the CD skips a bit more often).
JP I had the same problem (isnt this the same as the card that works in my camera/video?). I could not format it for music. From what I could find when I googled it, seemed that not all computers have the ability to format the card for music but you can buy an adaptor??? I've printed out your info and am planning on taking it to our IT guy to see if he can help. I know I'm no IT wiz but I have no problem with my ipod or other basic electronics? I would love it if I could figure this out, otherwise I was going to to have an ipod port wired in (by a professional)
Thanks

·
Registered
996 Posts
Looks like there is something wrong with my home PC, as I was able to format the card on my work PC.

However, I used a m4a file and it didn't seem to pick up on my head unit.

I will try again with a MP3 file and report back.

Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I used a Transcend 2GB MMC card and the adapter shown below and never had a problem.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I used a Transcend 2GB MMC card and the adapter shown below and never had a problem.

Just ordered one. Thanks Vincenzo!

Now, how do you guys label the files.

Can you please copy and paste an example?

I read somewhere that there is a limit on the number of characters.

Thanks!

p.s. My CD changer is still not being recognized by the head unit! (was replaced by dealer...going back tomorrow morning)...if this thing works well...may not need it afterall

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My first post above mentions using 8-character directory (album or artist) and file names so that they'll display OK on the head unit.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My first post above mentions using 8-character directory (album or artist) and file names so that they'll display OK on the head unit.
Thanks (again). I didn't realize that their was a directory name - separate to file name.

So 8 characters for each. Got it.

Thnx

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Create directories with the album name or artist name with 8 characters or less, and each track inside the directory as 01.mp3, 02.mp3, etc.

If you don't use numbers in the tracks then they won't be played in the correct order (maybe the files are alphanumerically sorted before playback).

The GS unit can read ID3Tags, which may contain full names up to 255 characters, so you can write the entire album name, artist and song title. It will be displayed on the screen!

For example:

DEEPPURP\
01.mp3
02.mp3
etc..

PS:
You can get a ID3Tag editor for Windows or a Mac for free on the internet.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Create directories with the album name or artist name with 8 characters or less, and each track inside the directory as 01.mp3, 02.mp3, etc.

If you don't use numbers in the tracks then they won't be played in the correct order (maybe the files are alphanumerically sorted before playback).

The GS unit can read ID3Tags, which may contain full names up to 255 characters, so you can write the entire album name, artist and song title. It will be displayed on the screen!

For example:

DEEPPURP\
01.mp3
02.mp3
etc..

PS:
You can get a ID3Tag editor for Windows or a Mac for free on the internet.
Thanks guys! I just got word my external MMC drive arrived, and with all your helpful posts, I should be all set!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Worked like a charm! Thanks again.

P.s. the MMC card wasn't being picked up by my laptop due to a date device driver for my digital media reader...now fixed.

BTW, what are you favorite bass, treble, sub woofer settings on the Auditorium 200 system? (I know many audiophiles here think it sucks, but I'm not looking to upgrade just yet). Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Not sure why some people don't like the Auditorium 200, i love it, but then again i don't care much about music. My 2GB mmc card is full of mp3 files and the music sounds great to me.

I personally prefer to lower the bass and raise the treble a little.

If you are interested, you can swap the Infotainment unit (which is an OEM Becker Online Pro) with the latest Becker units.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Any particular frequency you set the MP3s at? My music sounds a little less robust than when I use the CD player. I am using 256kbps bit rate and 44,100 khz

Thnx

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That's kind of the way MP3 works. It throws away some musical information to make the file size smaller, so it must by definition play a little worse. There's a whole group of people out there lamenting the loss of fidelity in MP3 and leaving a new generation ignorant of true audio fidelity. I think it's the same guys who were upset when the world went from LPs to CDs, or maybe their sons.

For me, with the top up or down, no problem.

For best sound, use the highest bit rate mp3 format (256 or 320kbps) that will play on the Becker.

CDs are 1.411 Mbps btw (44.1KHz x 16bits x 2channels), about four times as much information as a 320kbps MP3.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Personally, I've never met anyone who could identify an mp3 at 320kbps or a CD in any way. I can't tell the difference from 256kbps and upwards, but I can tell the difference from 128kbps on a good stereo.

The truth is, on a good stereo you can easily make 128kbps files sound like the original CD by playing with the audio settings bass/treble/etc.

But then again, thats a whole different story.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Do all gransports have the Navigation?

Do all gransports that have the Becker system have the Navigation?

Mine didn't come with the CD, and I'm trying to get my hands on some-

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Although they all come with the same unit, the GSM and Navigation are optional. Look into the glove box and see if there is a small box at the top right corner, if there is a small black box, then you have the GSM module.

If you have the Navi, then the head unit CD slot should have the proper navigation CD and when you press on the navi button (the one with the arrow, on the right side of the radio button) then it should load the current GPS coordinates and offer you the option to select a destination.

If you don't have the Navigation option then the car will be missing the GPS antenna, but I don't know how to look for it, its hidden somewhere in the dashboard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts