Maserati Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
hugh zions said:
hi jan what ever you do dont try and start the engines as they have a rubber timing belt and as they have been standing for so long, more than likley they will break and if that happens tne valves will hit the top of the pistons and that will mean heads off and lots of money. i just finished rebuilding a 1984 biturbo. it was given to me just for that reason. as i am the owner of the biturbo a 430 and a shamal i have had lots of experiences with the marque. i have a mechanical background so i do all the work myself. you would want to have a workshop and lots of space, reference books etc. if i can be of help e me.
Hi "hugh zions",

You are absolutely right!!

Jan just don't start them at all without changing the belts with new tensioneers and bearings. Also, change all the fluids, clean all the earth contacts to the chassis as well as those near the battery. New batteries are needed, for sure.

Tell me Hugh, you said you have a Shamal, where are you based at? I'm a proud owner of a 91 Shamal it is my daily drive.
What are you thoughts on it?

Regards,

Miguel

P.S. just visit: http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/
Scroll to page 88 an you'll see me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Andrew said:
Miguel,

Great photos of your Shamal! I really like the one in front of the wind tunnel. Great car you have, keep it for life!
Hi Andrew,

Yes, indeed, it is a great car. I'll do everything to keep it forever.

I'm a Maserati daily user for 7 years now, I guess few drive them as I do.
Mostly biturbos from the 90's.
I do around 35000 kms per year, not bad I think.
I know a lot these cars and as you saw I take them anywhere.

They are great cars and the Shamal is a blast to drive.

Many thanks,

Miguel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.