Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I got 2 of em'.

First let me introduce myself: I'm Jan, from Baltimore, MD, 29 years old, new to mas's and a humble student of those who know more than I...

Ok, I've recently aquired 2 1986 biturbo maser's.

1. Biturbo Spyder

2. Biturbo Quattroporte 4 door.

Both have around 30,000 miles

Both have been sitting for about 7 years without being turned on.

Both are currently located in front of my house.

SO... What the hell do I start with first? I didn't get a chance to look them over very well at first cuz the owner offered both to me at a price I'd be an idiot to refuse. So I swept it up (much to his chagrin for a tax write off) and had them towed to my place.

Advice please? Where to start first? What do I look for? Should I even try to start them up or are there things I need to do first before I completely wreck something?

Thanks!

Jan.

·
Registered
835 Posts
PhreaKwenCi said:
Yep, I got 2 of em'.

First let me introduce myself: I'm Jan, from Baltimore, MD, 29 years old, new to mas's and a humble student of those who know more than I...

Ok, I've recently aquired 2 1986 biturbo maser's.

1. Biturbo Spyder

2. Biturbo Quattroporte 4 door.

Both have around 30,000 miles

Both have been sitting for about 7 years without being turned on.

Both are currently located in front of my house.

SO... What the hell do I start with first? I didn't get a chance to look them over very well at first cuz the owner offered both to me at a price I'd be an idiot to refuse. So I swept it up (much to his chagrin for a tax write off) and had them towed to my place.

Advice please? Where to start first? What do I look for? Should I even try to start them up or are there things I need to do first before I completely wreck something?

Thanks!

Jan.
try starting the engine first :) heeheeh get batteries?!

welcome

·
Registered
773 Posts
try two!!

first welcome to maserati group. second, any experience as a auto repair person? now any antifreeze, and at what level of protection? seven years,get rid of old gas, put in new. check oil is it clean? look for mix of water!/antifreeze!! lots more any experience?

·
Registered
2 Posts
PhreaKwenCi,

I'd be happy to help with the BiTurbos, while I do not have one, I certainly am not a stranger to troubleshooting / working on engines, etc. I'll PM you.

-Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
2 BiTurbos. You are a glutton for pain.

Best bet, firebomb and claim total loss ;-)

Just kidding, no clue how to fix them but just wanted to poke, best of luck.

-dsd

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 x maseraties

hi jan what ever you do dont try and start the engines as they have a rubber timing belt and as they have been standing for so long, more than likley they will break and if that happens tne valves will hit the top of the pistons and that will mean heads off and lots of money. i just finished rebuilding a 1984 biturbo. it was given to me just for that reason. as i am the owner of the biturbo a 430 and a shamal i have had lots of experiences with the marque. i have a mechanical background so i do all the work myself. you would want to have a workshop and lots of space, reference books etc. if i can be of help e me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hugh zions said:
hi jan what ever you do dont try and start the engines as they have a rubber timing belt and as they have been standing for so long, more than likley they will break and if that happens tne valves will hit the top of the pistons and that will mean heads off and lots of money. i just finished rebuilding a 1984 biturbo. it was given to me just for that reason. as i am the owner of the biturbo a 430 and a shamal i have had lots of experiences with the marque. i have a mechanical background so i do all the work myself. you would want to have a workshop and lots of space, reference books etc. if i can be of help e me.
Hi "hugh zions",

You are absolutely right!!

Jan just don't start them at all without changing the belts with new tensioneers and bearings. Also, change all the fluids, clean all the earth contacts to the chassis as well as those near the battery. New batteries are needed, for sure.

Tell me Hugh, you said you have a Shamal, where are you based at? I'm a proud owner of a 91 Shamal it is my daily drive.
What are you thoughts on it?

Regards,

Miguel

P.S. just visit: http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/
Scroll to page 88 an you'll see me.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Miguel,

Great photos of your Shamal! I really like the one in front of the wind tunnel. Great car you have, keep it for life!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Andrew said:
Miguel,

Great photos of your Shamal! I really like the one in front of the wind tunnel. Great car you have, keep it for life!
Hi Andrew,

Yes, indeed, it is a great car. I'll do everything to keep it forever.

I'm a Maserati daily user for 7 years now, I guess few drive them as I do.
Mostly biturbos from the 90's.
I do around 35000 kms per year, not bad I think.
I know a lot these cars and as you saw I take them anywhere.

They are great cars and the Shamal is a blast to drive.

Many thanks,

Miguel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Valves vs piston tops

I have an older (carbureted) 18-valve engine core that I can source parts from and my question is:
If the valvetrain crashed on my '87 fuel-injected 18-valve, are the valves the same specs? (both are US Market engines)
Thanks in advance,
DAW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts