Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have tricked out my factory radio with a "CD Changer" from Loudlink and I love it (compared to the factory changer). I also got a cable to hook up my iPhone to the audio input on the Loudlink and the cigar lighter output through a USB adaptor and it all works great especially when listening to music while at the same time using TomTom on my phone :Tombo:

HOWEVER.. It still is a Maserati (2005 Coupé Cambiocorsa) and I do NOT want cables snaking around in the coupé so I'm planning to hookup the USB adaptor straight to the 12V circuit somewhere (supposedly the cigar lighter output) and hide all the cables under the panels and only have the iPod/iPhone connector sticking out somewhere (The Loudlink is already mounted in the glove compartment).

Before I go ahead and break something, have any of you an idea how to remove and get underneath the cigar lighter panel? Or is there a better place available to steal some already secured and fused 12V power?

Any input is most appreciated :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Pop the ashtray itself out & you'll see a single screw underneath it... remove that screw & you can pull the entire ashtray/lighter assembly out. Just wiggle it a bit & pull as you're doing so.

If you want to run some wires underneath the console, shine a flashlight forward & underneath that hole you just created by removing the ashtray assembly & you'll see the screw you need to remove to pull that center section that contains the ashtray/lighter assembly/mirror switches out... you can also feel where the screw is located by pressing down in a few places on the rubber lining in the little tray area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Attached two images of how far I've come. There doesn't seem to be any screw underneath the ashtray. If wiggling the whole piece it seems to be fastened tightly in both ends, but flexes a lot in the middle.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Oh, you've got one of the cupholder versions.... sorry - the directions I gave you were for the non-cupholder kind. My apologies.

I'm not sure how those are attached - do you have one of those little extendable mirrors you can stick down in there & see where the attachment points are?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iPhone installed :)

So, I figured it out! There were some plastic pins that had to be pushed in to release the cigarette lighter and after that it was all a walk in the park. I didn't need to unscrew more than in total 4 screws to have my iPhone and Loudlink nicely installed and out of the way. It's now all fully functional according to all my requirements but completely invisible.

I also made a quick tutorial if someone else wants to do the same thing. :deal:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Bravo on the installation and the DIY.
I'm certain it will be much used and appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.